1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Africa Vs Asia

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Phileas80, May 3, 2016.

1. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Quite the title I know but I have long been interested in ancient monuments and Egypt has some of the best in the world. It's difficult to find a place that rivals the land of the pyramids. However Asia also has a great history with beautiful temples and various ruins. Angkor Wat is on my bucket list!

So where would you love to visit to see ancient monuments?

Post pictures if you can as a picture speaks a thousand words...

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

http://iwandered.net/2014/05/01/10-ancient-monuments-in-southeast-asia-you-cant-afford-to-miss/

This is a pretty good list of the places I would really like to see in Southeast Asia when it comes to Ancient monuments. I feel like there's so much history there, and getting to Southeast Asia is a lot easier from where I live than getting to Egypt, for instance, when it comes to flights!

I feel like when I start making lists of all the amazing historical places I want to see, I get overwhelmed though - there's so much incredible stuff out there!

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I haven't been to Europe or Africa although I have roamed Asia a bit. I was in Thailand last month and we went to 3 temples there 1) Grand Palace, 2) Wat Pho, 3) Wat Arun. The Wat Pho is a temple with a reclining Buddha which is a colossus because it occupies the entire temple and the space for visitors are the sides. Wat Arun is also a collection of temples and Buddha statues. We have plans of going to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat but we are still awaiting for promo tickets.

With Egypt, it is one of the best places in terms of historical monuments and structures particularly the pyramid. I would love to have a selfie taken in the pyramid.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

The pyramids in Egypt would certainly be great to see, I'm not huge on old monuments but I really love the history of the pyramids and the whole Egyptian mythology. But apart from that I don't think you will find too many amazing ancient monuments in Africa so Asia should be able to offer you with more variety.

5. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I think it really depends on what you class as amazing but there are ancient ruins all over Africa, there was a BBC documentary called The Lost Kingdoms of Africa which highlighted some of them. They include the ruins of Great Zimbabwe, the Church of Lalibela in Ethiopia and The Castles of Mali. The city of Timbuktu while not ancient was a hub of education in medieval times and still has a lot of monuments and artifacts.

6. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I would visit both. I've long been interested in visiting archaeological sites and anything open to the public would be a great opportunity. There is much to be seen in both locations. The pyramids and temples in Egypts have as much history as the temples and other sites here in Asia. Ancient civilizations are very fascinating. I'd be lucky to be given a chance to take home an authentic remnant as a souvenir.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think if you're into your history, then you can look at most countries and see that they have architecture and monuments that you can visit and its not about one country or continent being better than another.

From Stonehenge in England, to the pyramids in Egypt if you're into history then both will be as fascinating as each other.

8. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Yeap that's completely true, I knew the title would attract debate but I really wanted to find out some great places in Asia I had never heard of before. Ancient architecture in really amazing and it's great to be able to travel the world and see how past cultures chose to build.

9. Coco

Coco Active Member

Both continents have great ancient temples and monuments. I would say that you would need to get acquainted with Asia first before going into Africa. For the most part, Asian countries are easier to travel to... The roads are smoother, except for some distant places. Compared to Africa, the roads in Asia are definitely better. Although of course, you won't be there for the roads.

But think of it this way, if you're not adept with travelling, you might not easily enjoy Africa. Yes, it has its beautiful places but getting there would be tough. So ease your way into it, start with Thailand, then Malaysia, then Vietnam and Cambodia. After you have travelled these places, then you might be ready to journey into Africa, equipped with the honed skills of a backpacker.

Anyway, a few places in Africa that I can recommend (since we're on the Africa thread):
    • Pyramids of Giza in Egypt:
    pyramids-of-giza-e1304091037521.
    • Luxor Temple in Egypt:
    luxortemple5.
    • Volubilis in Morocco:
    Volubilis_Longshot_II.
    • Aksum in Ethiopia:
    Stelae,_Aksum,_Ethiopia_(7158408756).
    These are just a few of the many ancient ruins and places in Africa. I hope this helps!

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Phileas80 likes this.