1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air B&b

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Quazi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Quazi

Quazi Member

Air B&B, have any of you hosted?
    Have any of you used it on your travels?

Interested in knowing any positive or negative experiences with getting involved with it :)

I do love the idea of hosting and getting to know new people and helping them out.
    Would be a good way to have accommodation sorted if you were to ever go and visit their country.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I used it when I travelled to Hong Kong with a friend, because it was so much cheaper than hotel accommodation. We were in a really good area of town (Wan Chai) close to the train station so it was easy to get around too.

I would say though that the place looked bigger in pictures - that's the one thing that I think can be kind of deceptive with Air BNB. With hotels, you often have way more reviews to go by than you do with Air BNB things.

I don't know if I would rent out my own home though for Air BNB - I've heard some horror stories in the news about how some people have treated the places they've stayed at!

Quazi likes this.
  3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I can't say I have experience in hosting on Air B&B, though I have attempted at using the services.
    In trying to book an apartment for a somewhat long term stay in Japan when I first moved, I found a great deal in an excellent area with excellent ratings. However, when I went to book,
    I couldn't get it immediately. So I tried others, never getting a reply from the hosts. Then the prices kept rising every time I logged on.

So I went with a hotel.

Though my experience was somewhat unsatisfactory (simply because I couldn't get a room as quickly as I needed one), I will say that I think it's a great idea and can be really fantastic for immersion into cultures or for meeting other tourists (if it's a guesthouse). Depending on where you want to dorm and what kind of room you want, the options are endless. Prices have a decent range based on what amenities are provided, as well as factoring in the cost of living for that location. You can certainly get a lot more out of an Air B&B room than at a hotel most of the time.

When it comes to hosting, I think it's worthwhile. Air B&B makes it easy to scan the people applying for your room. You can make them jump through a number of hoops before confirming you want them in your space. Plus, you can meet a lot of interesting people by hosting. Not to mention the money!

Quazi likes this.
  4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I have never hosted... I would consider it for extra income if I lived in an appropriate area and had an extra room.
    I have rented out an apartment through them, quite a pleasurable experience. I rented the whole apartment (the host was traveling) and her friend was very welcoming and friendly, helped us with everything we needed etc. Place was more than large enough, well located and even came with 2 lovely cats... all this for the same price that you would pay in a cheap hotel.

Quazi likes this.
  5. Quazi

Quazi Member

I love the idea of having people from different walks of life drop in and stay, without the risk of not knowing if they'll get up to no good.

I've just come back from a 2 week work jaunt in London (I live around 200 miles from there), I wish I'd organised at least a couple nights as a traveler through Air B&B just to use it from the other side and ask the host some things.

I will keep this in mind for the next work trip (not as far next time, Oxford I think) and see if work are happy with covering the accommodation costs for a place found through Air B&B.

Thank you for the feedback so far :)

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm totally the opposite here, and I wouldn't dream about using a service like this, either hosting others or me stating with them.

I think the main reason is that I'd just feel awkward sharing a home with a complete stranger. In an hotel you at least get a self contained room but in an house share you'd be basically living with a stranger but only for a few nights.

It might be ok for others, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable I don't think.

7. crimsonghost747

AirBNB rents out *EVERYTHING* not just rooms in someone's house. You'll find complete apartments, houses, boats, igloos... everything. There are a lot of listings for a room in someone's house but that's not all they offer.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Now staying in an igloo would be pretty darn cool! I'd seen treehouses listed on Air BNB before, but hadn't yet seen an igloo! I'm intrigued now!

I definitely don't think I could handle staying in a house if it was just one room I was using. Definitely one thing if you have the entire apartment to yourself, though! When I search for accommodation options on there, I always filter it to the entire home - that way I don't have to worry about results where it's just a share house setting :)

9. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never used this, but my friends did when they went to Tokyo and they had a good experience. I was going to book an Air B&B for my upcoming Okinawa trip, but I settled for a hotel in the end due to location. Air B&B might be cheap, but their locations aren't always ideal. If I'm going to travel, I'd want to see some sightseeing spots and not be in a neighborhood surrounded by nothing.

That being said, I wouldn't mind giving them a try if I can find a good location for a decent price.

10. Quazi

Quazi Member

So I can rent out my shed for a couple nights, this just gets better and better!
    I have a very big back garden, might be time for me to invest in a few tents and see if I can get a small seasonal pitch setup together :p

I wonder if I'd just start using this service with cultures that are similar to mine.
    As @pwarbi mentioned, you may not have your own space and could be sharing a lot with the hosts/travelers so it might be easy to upset or offend by not understanding all of the cultural differences.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. crimsonghost747

I often do the same. Depends how I'm traveling though, if it's a backpacking trip through a strange country then I wouldn't mind having a room with some local guy. But if I'm just sightseeing on my own etc then I prefer to have the place for myself. I've never tried the "single room" option through AirBNB but I sometimes even use hostel dorms so it would be ok. :p

Now that I think about it, a hotel is just that isn't it? A tiny room with your own bathroom and shower. :D That's kinda why I like Airbnb, you have more space and a kitchen so you can cook your own food instead of eating out all the time.

amelia88 likes this.
  12. crimsonghost747

Yes! You'd have to make it look pretty comfortable and set the price accordingly to get guests but indeed, you can rent out your shed. :p It's mostly apartments and rooms but there are quite a few more special ones too. I almost stayed on a house boat last summer but it ended up being a bit too expensive. :p

13. Quazi

Quazi Member

I'm sure with a bit of camera trickery, fresh coat of paint and a few blankets covering the garden tools, I'll have my shed looking like a lovely comfy pad :p

You nearly stayed on a house boat, ever tried canal boating? All kitted out and you get to potter around. Plenty of pubs on canal route if you ever got tired of cooking

14. crimsonghost747

No, I've never tried it. It's an interesting idea but for some reason I don't feel a big urge to go and give it a try. I've got a friend who has owned one of those canal boats for ages so I've heard a lot about it.

15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

You make a very good point - and honestly some hotels I've stayed in have been so noisy that I would be forgiven for thinking the people next door were literally in my room. The kitchen part of Air BNB facilities is a big drawcard for me...a lot of the time it's so much cheaper buying your own food at the supermarket and making something to eat than dining out and that's obviously a consideration for me when I travel!

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I still have to discover Air B&B although my husband is against it. We usually book in a hotel when we are abroad. At least a hotel is customary accommodation unlike that B&B which is new to us. Maybe we just love our privacy for now so we are not considering Air B&B for accommodation not only abroad but also in our domestic trips. And with our home to be offered? I don't think we would do that because it is not easy to entertain foreigners particularly if you take into consideration the differences in culture and language as well.

But we are not closing our doors to Air B&B, maybe in the near future we may consider it as a trial.

17. Quazi

Quazi Member

This is the sort of thing I found useful when staying in Premier Inns and Travel Lodges: http://www.homeshopcatalogue.co.uk/catalogue/buffalo-electric-multipan-40mm-deep-p-74411.html

Just use it to boil up rice, tinned hot dogs, boil up fish, pasta......
    I wouldn't suggest using it to fry though as it might set off the rooms fire alarm.

Handy tip: there are plenty of tinned steamed puddings available that you might have to live on ;) I'm suprised i didn't become obese with the number of Cadbury tinned chocolate puddings I was getting through!

18. crimsonghost747

Yeah I'm exactly like you. Especially when traveling in Europe a decent dinner will easily set you back 15-20e per person, I don't mind doing that once in a while but it adds up quickly if you do it everyday. And let's face it, sometimes it's a pain in the ass to get out in the morning just so you can have something to eat. That's my number one use for the kitchen, a good breakfast.

19. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yup - even something as simple as getting a loaf of bread and some sort of jam or spread, just so you can make yourself a sandwich or toast - sometimes that's all I need in the morning to get going (that and a good cup of coffee!) and let's be honest, a loaf of bread isn't that expensive! But I've seen simple toast and jam on café menus for the equivalent of $10 US when I've travelled places! For a couple of pieces of bread and something to spread on it. Crazy to me.

And yes, some other cities I've been to don't even really have much of a breakfast culture (places don't seem to open that early - more like around 10-11am) so you'd be scrambling to find something to eat anyway. Much easier to do it yourself! :)

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think with what everyone's been saying then AirBnB might be more if an option for the single travellers, the backpackers that what to tour a particular country or a region.

While I understand now that you can just about rent any kind of place on AirBnB, I still don't think I'd fancy it with a wife and 2 kids in tow!

21. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

Air B&B sounds fun but I think it's really not for me. I'm a very awkward person, I'm not really comfortable being with someone I just met- much more living with them, even if it's just for a few days. However, if I went abroad with a group, then I wouldn't have any problem with this arrangement. The more, the merrier!

22. Quazi

Quazi Member

Air B&B isn't for family trekking!
    Definitely one for going round on your own or at least with a very small group.

As a host, I don't think I would feel comfortable letting 3+ strangers into my house for a few nights

23. crimsonghost747

We did a family vacation (2 adults + 2 kids) and we rented an apartment, it wasn't through Airbnb but through Interhome. I don't see why not. The more kids you have the more space you need! :D But I do think that the large majority of people using Airbnb are young adults traveling alone or in a small group, it does take a bit of an adventurous mind to choose airbnb instead of a hotel.

24. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

That's the impression that I get when I think about AirBnB that it's mainly going to be young student types that use the service more than anybody.

That might not be the case at all, but I'd imagine if you are travelling alone then the cost is going to be a factor and you will get the best deal by using these kind of sites.

25. Coco

Coco Active Member

Since I travel with my family, I haven't tried Air B&B yet. I have read about it though a couple of times already about how it's cost-effective and practical. I don't know if we can take that risk since we have a son and hotels are much convenient accommodations for us. For one, they have 24/7 service so if we might need something, it's easier to access help. Another thing, hotels are near convenience stores as well which we also need. Cabs are also easier to access through the hotel.

But if ever I would travel alone, I don't see why I cannot use Air B&B. After all, we do want to save as much money as we can when travelling. I'd just be careful and make sure I check thoroughly before trusting a host. Since I'm a woman, it can be quite scary to be so trustful these days. But if I do have my husband with me, it might be easier to go for Air B&B.

As far as hosting for tourists, I don't think we can do that in our house. We do have a condo unit so we can rent that out during vacation. Since during school days, students rent it out, specifically student pilots because it's near the aeronautics school. I doubt though that many tourists would rent it out since it's too far away from beaches. Lol.