1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport Transfer

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Corzhens, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In our first travels, we used to book in a hotel that included airport transfer so we need not worry of getting lost on our way to the hotel after arrival. However, we found out that including airport transfer made it expensive for the hotel charges so we did away with that and tried to learn taking the taxicab or even the train. But common sense tells us that when the arrival is at night, it is better to get a hotel booking with airport transfer. It was good that we did that in our trip to Beijing. We arrived at exactly midnight and the weather was freezing cold. It's really good that we were picked up by a van with a heater.

2. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Airport? Well, I've been to Perth and there was no single problem about the airport. However, it was all pretty packed. I don't like what this takes place. Anyway, it's still a great international airport.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Some hotels are super nice and will have a driver pick you up from the airport if your flight gets in past a certain time. I love when they offer services like that. Generally speaking, if my flight gets in when public transport is still running, I usually try and catch the train - mainly for a cost saving thing. One service I've found very handy is Uber, too. I used it in Singapore and it's a lot cheaper than your traditional taxis - it's worth checking out if the country you're visiting has the service available.

4. Ava

Ava Member

Pre-booked transfers are a good idea if you have had a long flight, lots of luggage, or arrive late. I usually book a shared van or a car as it's worth it just to get to my destination. I have actually booked transfers into town from the airport too, and they are reliable as there is a point of contact there to help you too.

Taxis are okay, but for a woman traveling alone in an unfamiliar country it's not always a good idea.

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

I usually just take the train or the bus. If I have a lot of luggage, I'll opt for a taxi, but usually that's out of my budget. I thought about doing Uber, but Uber is illegal in some countries/cities. You should check to see if Uber is legal in your area because even if it's available, it might be against the law and if you're caught, you'll be fined.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Really?! I never knew that...but I appreciate the advice...is there a list anywhere that has where it's legal and illegal? I definitely don't want to ruin a great vacation by getting fined from using Uber!

I wonder why it's illegal in some places...does anyone know? I'm curious now.

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

I did a quick Google for you and here's a good article: http://www.idrivewithuber.com/where-and-why-is-rideshare-banned/

I was in Hong Kong when I wanted to try Uber and of course, it is illegal there. I can understand why it's illegal there though because in Hong Kong, there are tons of taxi drivers and those taxi drivers have to pay tons of taxes and get a special license to operate. They don't want Uber drivers to take their business because they are not required to pay any taxes. Plus with Uber, there's always the safety issue and all that stuff.

8. When I fly, I try not to use the taxi service at the airport. It's just too expensive for me. I normally take the bus. It may seem rather odd to spend so much on a flight and yet try to save on the taxi fare. The way I see it, I only fly when necessary. And paying a lot of money for a taxi to take me where a bus can do the same is not logical.

Corzhens likes this.
  9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Same here, we also avoid taking the taxi except when there are 4 of us. Last time we went to Bangkok, there were 5 of us and taking a taxi from the airport seemed to be more practical than taking the bus. But here in Manila, we are also wary of taxicabs because of the scam of some drivers. What we do is to pay someone to pick us up from the airport for a hassle free travel back home. In going to the airport, it's not much of a problem getting a taxi, what is worrisome is when you are coming from the airport going home.

10. Worrisome? Is it because you may not find a taxi going to your home? How about trying this? Just take a taxi, if you have to, to get into the city. Get off at the nearest big shopping center. From there you should be able to find a taxi or a bus to wherever your home is. Not sure how it works in The Philippines. In Thailand, the major shopping complexes also serve as transportations hubs.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We had that sad experience in Singapore. We were in the Resorts World and we took the train out of the Sentosa island into a mall. After a little shopping, we took a taxi but the queue was kilometric so we took the bus instead and then transferred to a train before reaching our destination (hotel). So now we are wary of taking the taxi unless we are sure of its availability. By the way, tomorrow we are going to Singapore and we have to take the taxi from the airport to the hotel. We hope a taxi will easily be available for us.

12. Have you arrived in Singapore yet @Corzhens ? Did you get a taxi to your hotel? Please keep us updated. For a person like me with limited mobility, I can only travel vicariously through the experiences of my friends.