1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ama I Am From Cape Town!

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Noreht, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Noreht

Noreht New Member

I would love to answer questions my fellow travellers have regarding South Africa. I currently live in Cape Town, but I have resided in 7 of our countries 9 provinces and I love to travel.

Please feel free to ask my anything?

2. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

When I think of Africa, I imagine hot, dry weather, large animals and unusual trees. I've never traveled to Africa, so I know absolutely nothing about the country. What is Cape Town like? What is the weather really like in Africa and do you have seasonal changes like we do here in Michigan? We have winter, spring, summer and fall and each is different in its own way, although winter seems to last the longest and summer (at least in my mind), is the shortest.

3. Noreht

Noreht New Member

Hi @Novelangel We do have seasonal changes yes. There are a few different climates throughout the continent. Central Africa, closer to the equator has the hot, dry weather that you are thinking of. In Cape Town we have very wet winters with mild summers in general. The trees here are unique, but not all that unusual. I just want to dispel a myth I know a lot of people believe about Africa. It is not all one country, in fact Africa is broken down into about 54 different countries. There are no animals walking around in the streets. South Africa is a civilized nation and Cape Town forms part of the Western Cape province which can be equated to Napa as it is wine country. It actually produces wines far superior to those of Napa due to the climate being so similar to the South of France.

4. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Oh, I knew Africa wasn't just one giant country, but instead of breaking it down, I guess I just generalized a bit. ;) When you say, "very wet winters", is that similar to the monsoon season in Southeast Asia? Here in the states, we have different climates for Southern and Northern states as well, so I can understand the differences in the weather over the entire continent of Africa.

5. Noreht

Noreht New Member

We have differences in seasons in South Africa itself. When I say wet I mean more like south of France wet. We don't have tornados, earthquakes or really any other natural disasters. It is relatively mild.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had a friend visit South Africa and she said it's one of her all time favorite travel spots. She also said the food in South Africa is amazing. What are the biggest cultural specialties (food wise) that you would recommend for a tourist? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

7. Quazi

Quazi Member

My dad spent the first part of his life in Cape Town and my uncle was born there.
    My dad was never interested in going back to see the place after they left but my uncle went back many times.

Is safety ever a concern?
    I've heard some scary driving stories from there, is that pretty safe or right to be scared?

Thank you for sharing you experiences :)

8. JusApee

JusApee New Member

Are there dangerous mosquitoes there? I heard that Africa has the most numerous mosquito variety in all world and I heard that many of these could give us diseases by their bites. Is Cape Town in a zone less affected by that kind of mosquitoes or should I still bring protection for it? Well, protection should always be brought, but I'm asking if there's actually a reason for me to be concerned.

9. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

I have heard great stories about Kruger National park, one of the biggest game reserves in Africa. I'd love to visit it one time in my life. Approximately how much would a game drive in the park cost? Are there less expensive hotels in the towns close to the park.

10. Noreht

Noreht New Member

That really depends on what you like. For sweet koeksister(tangled sister). It is a traditional Afrikaner treat. Basically twisted dough, baked then dipped in syrup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koeksister)

For savoury your best bet is bobotie.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobotie) Need I say more?

11. Noreht

Noreht New Member

As any city it is always good to be safe, but most hijackings are in Johannesburg. I have never had any issues, ever.

12. Noreht

Noreht New Member

No where in South Africa are there any dangerous disease carrying mosquitos. The mosquitos carrying malaria is closer to the underdeveloped central African countries. You can get malaria pills before coming here, but it is really not necessary in South Africa at all. Especially not in Cape Town.

13. Noreht

Noreht New Member

There is no town really close to the park and you have to stay in a lodge there. As to the average price that depends on what you want to see and how long you want to stay. Here are some pakages you can have a look at http://www.krugerpark.com/specials/?gclid=CNCTnKG1o8wCFcG6Gwod1UME1Q

14. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The koeksister sounds delicious - kind of like a donut!

I am not the biggest fan of eggs so I don't know that I would love bobotie, but the idea of the spiced meat sounds yummy! I love things with a good flavor kick!

15. Noreht

Noreht New Member

it is one of the best things I have ever eaten and a delicacy in South africa. It is almost like a doughnut yes, but just a lot lighter. I can eat 4 or 5 at a time. If you do not like eggs we have a lot of other savoury options,. The malay spices here are legendary and a nice malay curry with banana and coconut might be up your ally.

I just thought of another sweet treat that is from South Africa and was created by the first lady of one of our ex-presidents. A hertzogie. It is basically short crust pastry filled with yam and covered with coconut and then baked in the oven. https://www.spar.co.za/Recipes/View/Hertzoggies