1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antarctic cruise

Discussion in 'Antarctica' started by NuttyProfessor, Oct 30, 2014.

1. NuttyProfessor

NuttyProfessor New Member

Antarctica is a place I have wanted to visit and and I wanted to take a cruise to Antarctica and thinking that maybe March would be a good time to travel. There is very information about Antarctica so I am hoping that I would get a response from the forum.
    What I have found out is that there is a small ship which occupies around 40-50 passengers which is fine. What I need to know is whether March is a good time to travel and also any other vital information about travelling during that particular time of the year.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Antarctica is in the Southern hemisphere (it is summer time for them when it is winter here) and you will find most cruises only between December to February. I am not sure if there are any cruises that sail in March but even if they do I would recommend January from the temperature point of view. You will only find small cruise ships for Antarctica and not many people go there as compared to cruises elsewhere which explains why there is very little information about them on the internet.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Is this thread dead already? I'm just curious if there is a cruise in Antarctica. We have checked the Alaskan cruise which is quite expensive but it looks to be worth the cost because of what there is to see in Alaska during summer. Now, if there is a similar cruise in the south pole, I think that would be worth the cost as well since Antarctica is an inhospitable place. One scientist said in a tv interview that being in Antarctica is like being in another planet because all you can see is the horizon which is ice and nothing more. There is 6 months of winter and 6 months of summer. From what I understand, ice is present all-year round.