1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Advice For Burma/myanmar?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by DangerSuit, Apr 14, 2016.

1. DangerSuit

DangerSuit New Member

I am considering a short stint in Burma/Myanmar for work (roughly 6 months), and I wondered if anyone had any advice, or thoughts about the country. Couple of things I am interested in:
    • Is it safe? I know there have been quite a lot of problems with the incumbent government and military rule.
    • How expensive is it to stay there? Is food expensive? How much will I be paying for a coffee?
    • Do many people speak English? I am pretty abysmal at learning new languages, so I would probably have to speak English for the first couple of months whilst I learned.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

Hi! Here are my answers:
    • Is it safe? I know there have been quite a lot of problems with the incumbent government and military rule.
    • There are certain areas to avoid which are considered as high risk. This include: Northern Shan, Kachin and Rakhine. Then, all other areas are considered medium to low risk areas. Places like Mandalay, Yangon and Bagan are considered tourist destinations and are safer to travel to as compared to other areas. Regardless, to gain access to conflict areas, you would need to obtain permit as well, so you cannot really just go there, even if by accident. Police officers are in the access points and borders of these high risk places.
    • How expensive is it to stay there? Is food expensive? How much will I be paying for a coffee?
    • I would say that you need at least $50 per day for everything you might need, that's if you're in a budget and you don't mind cheaper hotels and restaurants. Otherwise, for higher end hotels and restaurants, be prepared to shell out $100-$150 per day. Three-in-one coffee is free in hotels, maybe it costs a few cents converted to dollars.
    • Do many people speak English? I am pretty abysmal at learning new languages, so I would probably have to speak English for the first couple of months whilst I learned.
    • English is taught in schools and is considered as their second language. You won't have to worry about this because almost all people can speak English in Burma.
    I hope this helps!