1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Point Of Coming Here?

Discussion in 'Antarctica' started by JusApee, Apr 14, 2016.

1. JusApee

JusApee New Member

Is there any point of coming here? What exactly do I have to see besides icebergs? And what budget would be needed?
    I've never thought that people would actually come here for any reason, let alone turism. I'd love to see icebergs in real life, but I don't think going so far would be worth the money. So, is there any point of coming here?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This thread is for my husband. He has some dreams of adventure like going to the North Pole and South Pole, to see the plains of Mongolia and the power generators of Bhutan, not to forget the Himalayas. I don't think an individual can go to Antarctica because it is a reserve. Besides, there is no transportation and even if you charter a plane from Australia or New Zealand, you might not be given a permit if you are just a tourist. From what I had read in New York Times some time ago, Antarctica is for the exclusive use of scientists only. And even planes cannot go there during winter time because the extreme cold would freeze the avgas (fuel of the plane).

By the way, penguins thrive only in Antarctica. So maybe that's one of the attractions that the place can offer.

3. Coco

Coco Active Member

Here are the primary destinations in Antarctica:
    • Mount Erebus. The most active volcano in the Southern part of the world.
    • Anver Island or Anvord Bay. Basically, this is the tourist destination in Antarctica. It is where the Palmer Station is located as well as the museum at Port Lockroy. This is also where cruise ships stop namely: Neko Harbor and Paradise Bay.
    • South Shetland Islands. Penguins can be found here. There's also hot springs in several islands. You can also find the Polish researchers station in here.
    When it comes to the budget, you have options:
    • Fly Cruise trip costs about $10,000 to $12,000 per person. That's a 10 to 14 day cruise.
    • Ship Cruise ranges from $7,000 to 20,000 depending on the locations and days.
    I hope this helps!

JusApee and Myrr like this.
  4. Myrr

Myrr Member

When I hear the word Antarctica, polar bears, penguins, and blue ice come to mind. I didn't know that tourists can come here. I only see this whenever I watch documentaries so I thought that only scientists and researchers come to this place.

5. JusApee

JusApee New Member

This sounds good, and the price sounds reasonable. I've always wanted to try an ice hotel out. Do they have such things? There is one in my country, but it simply doesn't give you the same feeling as sleeping into an ice hotel in Antarctica. Also, I guess you can't only go there by cruise, right?

Indeed! That's what I've also been thinking. I never thought there was anything a tourist could see here.

Myrr likes this.
  6. Coco

Coco Active Member

@JusApee

From what I've searched, ice hotels don't seem to exist in Antarctica. All the accommodation they have are cruise ships or expedition ships. There are research locations but they're strictly for scientists and researchers. Tourists don't get to have the privilege of staying in such locations or even a supposed ice hotel. Usually tourists sleep in the accommodation ships, there are cabins and warm beds so you can sleep comfortably.

As far as I know, the best way to experience Antarctica is by cruise. However, you can also opt to travel by plane just to see the view. Some tourists opt for the yacht experience, which is more difficult but very rewarding.

I hope this helps!

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Lets be honest here and for the average family, Antarctica isn't going to be your first choice as an holiday destination is it I wouldn't have thought, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there's nothing to do or see there.

I'm sure if you're into wildlife and conservation then it would be a trip of a lifetime.

8. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

The only reason I think people go to Antarctica is for scientific research on polar bears, penguins, and all those other white animals. It's definitely not on my list of places to visit but still an interesting destination for scientific purposes.

9. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

As others have said, Antarctica isn't really popular destination material. The harsh climate is murderous--literally. Not many animals aside from penguins have adapted to live in such a brutal place. Even with the Earth's overall rising temperatures, Antarctica remains as vicious as ever.

Still, if you're looking for an adventure of a lifetime, I think Antarctica is one of the few places that would still classify as uncharted grounds. I, for one, want to go lol.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

And that pretty much sums it up. It's not your traditional "hey let's fly to spain, stay in our holiday resorts, eat paella in a restaurant where 95% of the people are tourists, take a sightseeing bus tour and fly back home" vacation. To me, traveling is about seeing and experiencing new things, learning about different cultures, different places and people. Doing things that your average joe hasnt' done before, going to places they haven't gone before. Basically: seeing the world and the variety it offers. When I'm old my stories won't be "hey remember having that pizza in Rome?" or "that sightseeing tour of London was amazing!" but rather "haha, remember the time we slept in the back of the car in the middle of the desert?" or "ahh I'll never forgetting sitting down for a cup of tea with a local in the middle east... we didn't even have a common language but we sat there talking and drinking tea"

Antarctica, one of the most remote places this planet has to offer? Yes please!

11. JusApee

JusApee New Member

It's like you've been reading my mind. Going on a trip is always better if I have the opportunity to experience something new, like a new culture or new language, or something more extreme than I would be doing in my country. The example you gave with sleeping in the back of the car in the middle of the desert just gave me the thought that Antarctica would be something totally new and unexpected for me to visit, and I think I'll actually enjoy a cruise there. The price, though, is a bit big, but I think it will be worth 2 weeks of my life.

12. crimsonghost747

Yeah the price is a big problem and the fact that you would be staying on a boat for the majority of the time doesn't really appeal to me. Once again, if I want to stay in a boat I can do to that in my country too.

13. Lynk

Lynk Member

I absolutely love penguins and would adore seeing them in the wild, but I'm a complete wimp about cold weather, so I can't see this ever happening in my life. Also I agree with @crimsonghost747 with the limitation of being on a boat most of the time. That kind of ruins the excitement of an uncharted expedition fantasy. If it's gotta be a cruise, I want there to be sun and sand involved at some point! :)

14. crimsonghost747

Haha yeah cruises are much more fun when it's +30c instead of -30c! Looks like all of the great options to explore antarctica are pretty damn expensive.. you know like doing your own little expedition. :p

15. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

You know, for me, Antarctica has always seemed like a vacation on Mars... completely inaccessible and out of the question for your average traveler. The rugged and rough terrain, the endless ice, the unforgiving climate... all of that is a huge turn off as a vacation spot. While it would be nice to see penguins and such, I think I can go on living without that experience. ;)

16. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Alright, I did make a research on things to do in Antarctica before because I thought it was a desolate place. As it turns out, you can play with the residents there, the penguins. I love them and I'm sure I'll have loads of fun playing with all of them. Then there's a cruise and you can swim at Deception Bay where the water is warm due to the volcano close to it. I suppose I can also go camping and just trek around the place? It would be awesome to see what night looks like in a place such as this.

17. crimsonghost747

Yes but in such a harsh environment that is something that you would either need a larger group with a guide or quite a bit of experience. Even in the summer time it's not really a place where I would suggest that an inexperienced person would go wandering around on their own.

18. Antarctica is not really a place for tourism as you can tell. However, people who love extreme sports and want to try to survive in iced wilderness then Antarctica is a great place for them.
    It's still foolish for someone to go alone there. Usually there are a groups of 5 or more that plan all of this carefully before heading to the 'unknown'.

19. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Lynk posted a great thread just recently about a segment on the John Oliver show about why we shouldn't go to Antarctica. Check out that thread - it's definitely made me think twice about whether I really need to go to Antarctica or not!

20. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

There is a point! It's one of the most untraveled places in the world. If you're really adventurous and in love with winter... you should definitely consider going there, although it seems very uneasy to do.

21. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

looking at penguin would be interesting but you can watch them in the zoo. I think people will one day be able to visit once it is stabilized. People need to know what it's like to be there. But, they only need to know when it is safe.