1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archaeological Trips

Discussion in 'Europe' started by maxen57, May 8, 2016.

1. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I've always been fascinated with archaeology ever since I was young because of the many documentaries I've watched online on ancient civilizations and their remnants found aeons after. The charm and mystery and the need to discover more is always there on what people used to do to be able to cope during their timeline and how they've managed to build such wonders that outlived its architects and still stands today.

The exact purpose of the Stonehenge hasn't been completely found out. Walks at the ancient ruins of both Rome and Greece would be like being transported back in time. The Carnac stones in France that stood upright all throughout history inspired legends. Hundreds of ruins, artifacts unearthed and ancient civilizations rediscovered. Yes, our world is a treasure trove of humanity's finest.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

The problem here is that most of these sites are pretty touristic. So yes, you might see a wall that is 2000 years old, but you'll have 100 other guys right next to you taking pictures etc. kinda takes away from the fun, in my opinion. There are certainly a lot of these places in Europe but finding one not full of people might be a bit more challenging. (and rewarding.)

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I can assure you that if you come to Serbia you will have several very important sites to to see. My home town Niš was once Naissus when this region was governed by the Roman Empire. Constantine the Great was born here and I guess you know why was he important to all of us actually. The Archaeological sites in my country are Akuminkum, Stari Slankamen, Inđija; Gumurište., Surkiš, Podujevo; Singidunum, Beograd, Beograd-Stari Grad; Viminacium, Kostolac, Požarevac; Vinča-lokalitet Beli breg, Vinča, Beograd-Grocka; Gamzigrad, Gamzigrad, Zaječar; Lepenski Vir, , Majdanpek; Mediana, lokalitet Brzi Brod, Niš and actually hundreds of other relevant sites.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Pardon me but when it comes to archeology, my dig is the pyramid. Just looking at the photos of the pyramid fascinates me no end. Much more when I read articles about the pyramid, the speculations and the studies on how it was built. I'm not an archeology hunter but we have this desire to travel to Cambodia for the Angkor Wat. But if given the opportunity, I would also love to visit that parthenon of Greece and the colosseum of Rome plus some other archeological sites.