1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artist Retreats

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lynk, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Lynk

Lynk Member

I've always been fascinated by the idea of going to an artist retreat in Italy. I have heard such retreats exist for travelers, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Has anyone here been on a similar trip? I'd love to soak up the beautiful scenery and take some lessons at the same time. I think this would be an amazing and educational trip!

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We had almost experienced that artistic activity when we were in Beijing last year. We were walking on our way to Tiananmen Square when this Chinese guy who looked decent enough and with decent English as well engaged us in a chat while walking. He was quite glib-tongued that he convinced us to make a detour to his gallery. And he showcased his paintings to us with an invitation to see the actual painting of Chinese artists in a sort of festival which was to be held on the next day. Don't ask about the price tags because they are so expensive, really priced for tourists, I guess. Unfortunately for the guy, my husband and I have no penchant for the arts so we left the gallery just like that.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I've never been on an artistic retreat, but I have done a writer retreat and a two-day dance retreat! I can tell you that no matter where you go, it is such an amazingly creative environment. It's like you get possessed by some more enlightened version of yourself, haha. For the writing one, I went to New York for a few days in the spring. Retreats are kind of expensive on first glance, though everything is included (obviously).

Here's a decent list: Artist Retreats Around the World
    A quick Google will tell you much more about retreats than I can, lol. But yes, they are truly amazing.

4. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Italy is one of the top countries that lead the Rennaisance era. An artistic retreat would be a good way to experience the arts and culture that had put Italy on the map. A friend of mine who worked in Italy would see a lot of painters and street performers there. There are actually painting and yoga retreats there. Any artist who would like to be able to adapt a few "Italian" styles can go to this website:

http://www.lemarcheretreat.com/