1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asian Airline Food

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Ava, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Ava

Ava Member

As a vegetarian I always order a special meal when I fly, but you should be warned if you fly on an Asian airline or to an Asian destination then you must specify what kind of meal you want. Often they have choices of an Asian vegetarian meal, which can be too hot and spicy for some people.

I once had one, took one mouthful and had to run down to the galley for water it was so hot. Fortunately they had spare vegetarian meals such as pasta that I was able to eat instead. Always check because local curries are very hot, and may not be suitable if you are not used to them.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Always good advice for those with certain meal requirements. My friend is a vegan and flew with Singapore Airlines recently and was pleasantly surprised that their vegan food was both tasty and fairly substantial since a lot of the time she's lucky to get some fruit or vegetable and not much else!

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have this friend who is an actress and she is a vegetarian. In one conversation, she mentioned about airline food which has either beef or chicken for the choice. Whenever she would travel far, she has to bring her own lunch. And for short travels, she just try to endure a little hunger and dine in the airport of destination. One other friend who is a Muslim was offered pork in the airline. There was actually a choice between beef and pork but the beef was already exhausted so there's only pork to be offered to him. He said that he just sufficed himself with the crackers and the fruit jelly for dessert.

4. I haven't traveled long distance by plane before so I have no idea what they serve on board. However, I have been in a couple of airports and I have found something interesting. In Malaysia, the food served in the airport is just like the food served outside the airport but the prices are a few times higher. So I never eat inside a Malaysian airport.

When I was in a Thai airport, I was pleasantly surprised. The food was as good as any which could be found outside the airport and the prices were the same as that of food sold outside the airport. That's how I ended up spending time in the Bangkok airport, having meetings there and having lunch there, too. It's a much better alternative to struggling through the traffic jams in Bangkok. Just fly in, have my meeting at the airport, have lunch, then fly back again.

5. Ava

Ava Member

These days most airlines carry spare special meals, but many do recommend ordering them in advance at least 48 hours before the flight. What I do is confirm at check-in that a meal has been ordered (as sometimes it doesn't register) and they then print it on the boarding pass, so you have proof you have ordered it.

I have been on flights when people have fought over special meals and the crew had to tell them if they hadn't ordered it it wasn't guaranteed. Once they ran out even though I had ordered it and a crew member gave up their meal for me which was really kind of them. It does create a slight pressure on me to double check, especially for long haul flights, because short haul I can cope, but an eleven hour flight with no food isn't great.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I don't have any dietary restrictions so I've never ordered a special meal. I just eat whatever is available.

However, I would recommend those with dietary restrictions to triple check the ingredients used in preparing the meals. I have a friend who is allergic to pork (not for religious reasons). When we were flying to Okinawa, they gave us a Okinawan cookie "chinsuko" with our meals. It's a cookie so she didn't think twice before eating it. But it turns out that there's pig lard used in baking the cookie. She got pretty sick afterwards and that could have been avoided if we checked the ingredients on the cookie beforehand. So even if the food looks safe, it's best to check the ingredients used just to make sure you don't get sick.