1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Weather Can Cancel Flights

Discussion in 'North America' started by Corzhens, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Have you experienced a cancelled flight due to bad weather? In our most recent trip to the province, there was a typhoon in the northern part of the country and we were afraid that it might cause our flight to be cancelled. I cannot imagine the inconvenience it would give us for we had already booked a hotel for our accommodation in the province. We were fortunate that the flight proceeded with no untoward incident except for the turbulence in the sky maybe due to the bad weather.

2. When I was traveling to see my dad, I had a pit stop in Phoenix, Arizona. It was so hot the day that the tarmac was melting the wheels that I had to wait for four hours before I could get on a plane to see my dad. It was scary because I was by myself at the age of eight. The second plane they got for us had engine issues. So after four hours and three planes, I could finally leave. But that was unusual, my mom says that the tires must have been on their last mile to melt that easily.

3. Ava

Ava Member

I was caught up in the ash cloud incident a few years ago and was stuck in the US. It was quite an anxious time as one had to look at how safe it was to fly, besides getting a seat on a plane.

I ended up staying an extra week, but it wasn't relaxing as I was constantly checking the website and news to see if my airline was going to fly, and then trying to get a seat as well as paying for hotels. I stayed with family and friends too, but needed to be in New York in case a flight was available. It's not that much fun with delays, but I would rather be delayed than to risk a flight that maybe dangerous.

I also was delayed in Nepal due to the weather, and that was the most dangerous flight I had been on. The pilot was dodging clouds and mountain tops and I was glad to get to land again. It was the only time I have ever been sick on a plane, the journey was that bad.

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've personally never experienced it, but when my mom and sisters were going to Hong Kong last year, their plane was delayed because of the typhoon. Fortunately, this was with a fairly big airline so they organized a hotel for my family to stay in during the delay.

My friend had a similar experience with a LCC airline. They couldn't fly out of Okinawa because of the typhoon. Unfortunately, this airline didn't offer anything as an apology. Their next flight out was 3 days later and because my friend had to rush back to work the next day, she couldn't afford to wait. She ended up buying another ticket with another airline. I don't know if she ever got a refund from the LCC airline.

In the case of delays, I think airlines should take responsibility and offer accommodations or alternatives for its passengers. It just doesn't make sense to not do so.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

When I was traveling in Japan a couple of years back (early 2014) I had tickets booked from Tokyo to Sapporo for the Sapporo Snow Festival...anyway, that year Tokyo got a crazy amount of snow, on the day before I was meant to leave for Sapporo. The flight out of Haneda airport the next day was canceled, so I missed the snow festival :( but I had a lot of snow in Tokyo to play with!

It was frustrating though, because there was no snow on the following day - it was just that there were so many flights canceled the previous day because of the bad weather that I think it had a follow-on effect.