1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Food In Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Apr 14, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

For me, my best food experience in Asia was probably in Hong Kong. A friend and I went to a restaurant called One Dim Sum, which received a Michelin Star in 2012. The best thing about this place was they didn't raise their prices after being awarded a Michelin Star, so my friend and I ate so many different dishes for about the equivalent of $25 US dollars. I highly recommend them if you're in HK!

As for Japan, I loved this tiny little ramen shop near Roppongi. It looks like a run down shack that you wouldn't even necessarily want to go into, but it has the best ramen of my life in there. The name is Kaotan Ramen and I would go back there in a heartbeat!

With your experiences with travel in Asia, what's your favorite food memory?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It's ironic that our favorite food is also in Hongkong. However, lamb biryani is a Middle Eastern (or Indian) dish and not Chinese. The biryani is long grain rice that is orange in color with some spices so it is kind of hot. But the generous serving of lamb mixed with the rice is filling. We go to Hongkong every year and we never miss that lamb biryani. Last year we even searched the city because we lost our way to the restaurant. The cost of a plate of lamb biryani in Ebenezeer Restaurant is less than $10.

amelia88 likes this.
  3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'll have to remember that for Hong Kong if I get a chance to go back there. I love Indian food! HK is such a great city for food, I think! I don't remember ever having a bad meal when I was on vacation there. Plus there's so much to see and do away from the food side of things that it's just a great destination all around!

You're lucky to get to go to Hong Kong every year! I'd love to be able to do that but it's such a long flight from here (not to mention expensive) so it might be a while until I can get back there. But one day, I hope to!

Corzhens likes this.
  4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Gotta say, some of the best Asian food I've had comes from an authentic Indian curry shop in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan near my old Japanese Language school. The vegetarian curry and fresh naan is just to die for.

The other amazing Asian food experience I've had was Korean food in Shin-Okubo, Japan. A bunch of Koreans kidnapped me and made me drink with them. But it was amazing, and the food was absolutely amazing, especially the Japchae and Pa Jun (scallion pancakes).

Lastly, if you ever get the chance to get to Tsukiji fish market in the AM--like 5 am--and stand in line at a sushi restaurant, do it. The flavor of fresh sushi and sashimi is ineffable.

5. Myrr

Myrr Member

I love Asian food, especially Japanese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, and of course Filipino cuisine. It's a good thing that we have restaurants here in my country that serve authentic Asian dishes. I can experience eating them without leaving the country. But of course the experience is much different when you go the the country of origin. When my friends and I went to Korea, we tried every food that we can get our hands on. We tried eating Bulgogi and at first it was kind of messy because I put too much ingredients in the leaves. But it was fun to eat. Just get the perilla leaves, then add meat and other chopped vegetables, fold the perilla leaves until it resembles a ball, and then put it in your mouth. I made the balls too big many times that I had a hard time fitting them inside my mouth. :p

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

+1 for Hong Kong food.

Hands down the best food you can get, in terms of taste and price. There's a lot of variety and the price is amazing. I love eating dimsum and traditional Chinese dishes in Hong Kong, but I think my favorite must be their street foods! If you go to Hong Kong, you must hit up Mong Kok where there are tons of food stalls selling delicious and cheap street foods. Some of my favorites are curry fishballs, shiu mai, egg puffs, HK style-waffles, and tapioca drinks. And if you can find it, imitation sharp fin soup (which is basically just a thick soup filled with delicious ingredients) is also a must!

Everytime I go to Hong Kong, I end up gaining weight because I can't stop eating.

Worth it though ;)

7. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I tried only Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Thai and some Arab food and my favourite was Thai I think. There was a restaurant called Chanthai where I worked and they had Chinese Thai menu. I really liked the spicy food they gave us all the time. It was a big booster always , at least for me. Some of the guys thought it was either too spicy or too hot even. I worked with one crazy Philippine chef who made some hot pork with some veggies on our breaks. He told us it was something he made all the time back in his country. It was very good but also very hot. He put like handful of extremely hot chilli peppers.

8. Coco

Coco Active Member

For me, every country we visit has its own unique and authentic dishes. I have my favourite restaurants in each country. Here they are:
    • Tim Ho Wan in Hong Kong. I love the buns in here, they're super soft but crunchy, lol. I don't know how to explain them really but they're heaven in my mouth. Haha. The dumplings taste good as well.
    • Duck De Chine in Hong Kong. This restaurant probably has the best tasting Peking duck I've ever eaten. Until now, I cannot seem to find local restaurants that can beat what we have tasted in there.
    • Sushi Saito in Japan. It's incredibly hard to get reservations for this restaurant but once you do, it's well worth it. The tunas are probably the best tasting of them all, so you better try that out.
    • Candlenut in Singapore. I love the design of the place, first and foremost. But they deliver well when it comes to food too. The menu features pork and shellfish more, so take note of that. I don't mind since I love shellfish and I do eat pork as well. You have to try the long-cooked Wagyu beef, super delicious and tender.
    I haven't included my favourites from my country yet. But there's such a lot it needs its own thread. Haha!

Miya likes this.
  9. Miya

Miya Active Member

@Coco - Tim Ho Wan's is one of my favorites! Their pork buns kind of have the pineapple bun crust which I love. I'm usually not a fan of pork buns, but this place is amazing. I would totally recommend trying it! Their steamed egg cake is also pretty good.

Be prepared to wait though. There's usually a long time for this restaurant. Also EVERYONE in your party has to be there for you to get seated. They are pretty strict about that. Service is also pretty bad and the food is kind of on the expensive side, but it's worth a try because their food is really good.

Coco likes this.
  10. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always find that a long line is usually a good indicator of a delicious place. That's usually what I do if I am visiting a new city for the first time...if I'm curious about what I should try first, I just get into the longest line and wait it out to try whatever they're selling. It tends to be a pretty solid decision - I haven't been disappointed yet! :)

11. rahmat mansur

rahmat mansur New Member

for me the best food so far is "Padang Food". its a special food from west sumatra, indonesia. a lot of the food contain curry, spices and spicy taste! Beef Rendang is one of the best food they made, i cannot even explain how good this food is. definetly worth trying if you are traveling to Indonesia!

12. Quazi

Quazi Member

We all seem to have food on our minds a lot here :p

Closest I can say I've had to authentic eastern cuisine is a local Thai place.
    The owner said that she hasn't had to adapt many dishes as they are popular as if they were cooked for her family.
    On the menu its Kaeng khiao wan and the closest I can find visual wise in a store is Green Thai curry but the taste doesn't compare.
    I love the sweet and spice that isn't overpowering.
    Got friendly with the owner and she was giving my Thai Whiskey, my god it burned!

I have to go back there as it's been a few years.... :)