1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Travel Phone Apps For Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Apr 19, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always find these days that there are quite a few good smart phone apps for whatever travel destination I'm visiting. It's so much more convenient than lugging around heavy guidebooks!

One that I just downloaded recently was the Triposo guide to Singapore. It has sections for accommodation choices, places to eat, and local attractions.

Plus it was a free app which is always nice!

Do you have any favorite apps for travel in Asia? Or for travel anywhere, to be honest?!

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

Here's a few apps that I actually use:
    • Trip It. What I love about this app is that it is an all-in-one app. It has got the flights, maps, directions and hotels already so you don't need separate apps for them. You can also sync your schedule in this app to your mobile calendar or just update your social media accounts as well.
    • Kayak. If you want to find the most affordable hotel for your trip, then this is the app for you. It compares the prices of different accommodations in just one app. It can save you time instead of searching hotels one by one.
    • Oanda Currency Converter. It's a must to have this app so you won't guess what the currencies are in whichever country you are travelling to.
    • Duo Lingo. This is very helpful for knowing some phrases or words of a particular language.
    These are all free apps as well!

3. Thanks for posting these, I'll probably use Oanda Currency Converter when I get ready for my trip. I'm using Duo Lingo to practice my Korean though I sound awful still. It's really fun leaning the new phrases of a particular language.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I know I started this thread, but one I used in Japan that was super helpful was the Hyperdia app. If you need train schedules, costs and so forth, that's your app!

You can put in a start destination and an end point and it will tell you how long it will take, what times the trains leave (you can specify a window of time!) and if you need to make any transfers from one train line to another - and it also tells you how much in yen it will be.

It was super convenient for me when I was in Japan and when I'm back there later in the year I'll definitely be using it again.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Hmm, Triposo? Maybe I have to download that because we are going to Singapore next month on occasion of my birthday in the latter part. It seems that we have already exhausted all the nice places in Singapore since we are there every year (usually October or November). If that Triposo is really good then I guess it can offer us some new places in Singapore. Well, this would be the first time that I would be using a travel app. I am not much of the digital because I prefer to check with my friends. But thanks for this thread, it will be a big help.

And I will also take note of Hyperdia because we have a trip to Japan in March of 2017.

6. No, I don't use any of those apps. I am a member of a few Facebook groups of people who are based in Thailand. That's where I get more of my information. I suppose if I want to travel anywhere else, I would do the same thing. There must be a Facebook group for just about any country in the world. The information provided by the group members are generally not commercially motivated and tend to be what it's like on the ground.

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

I am also recommending Kayak. It's a great app and has tons of great information. My friends also recommended minube to me but I've never used it.

And depending on where you go, you might want to get an app for transportation. For example, in Japan I often use apps that tell me train times. It's super helpful because it tells you the exact time the train arrives (trains are rarely late in Japan) and more importantly which number platform to get on/off. This is great for travelers who can't read Japanese. I'm currently using Hyperdia and Yahoo! Transit which are both very helpful. Navi Time is another one that's good.