1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boarding By Seat Number

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Corzhens, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have noticed in our trips that it is only PAL (Philippines Airlines) which is systematic when it comes to boarding. A ground crew will be calling the group by the seat number starting from the last then down to the first such as rows 80 to 60 followed by 59 to 40 and so on. This method prevents the overcrowding in the line that a passenger in a low numbered row would just clog the aisle of the plane. Imagine a passenger in row 1 being first to board then all the rest will be waiting for that passenger to sit down. And what if he has several hand-carry baggage he will store in the overhead bin?

2. Ava

Ava Member

@Corzhens, all airlines with the exception of budget airlines board by number as it makes sense so that people don't block the aisles. On shorter domestic flights it's not so strict, but it's always been First Class, Business, then babies, special needs, and then via seating numbers.

It's not only PAL and this has been going on for years. Budget airlines have no seat numbers as it's free seating usually, but since some have introduced paid seating, those people get to board first and the others must queue.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Have you taken a Cebu Pacific flight? That is our usual complaint with that airline - they just announce when it is time for boarding but they don't bother with the method of boarding practiced by Philippine Airlines (this is the only airline I remember that uses the method, even Cathay Pacific does not implement that boarding by seat number). So maybe I have been traveling with budget airlines most of the time but it's not for domestic only.

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've flown with Cathay Pacific many, many times. It's my go-to airline when I want to travel internationally out of America. They board by seat numbers every time. Not sure why they don't when you are boarding?

And all the budget airlines I've flown with have designated seat numbers even when they are not paid for. JetStar and Hong Kong Express will also ask you to board via seat number, which is a good thing.

5. Ava

Ava Member

I think it depends on how busy the plane is and short haul flights that aren't full they just want everyone on the plane as soon as possible. If they know the plane is half full, they don't usually bother and let everyone on or board by numbers very quickly.

Either way, it's more of a convenience for cabin crew than for anyone else. Personally I like to board last so that I can use the restroom and make any final calls. I prefer to be the last person on the plane. I know it may mean a struggle to find a place for my hand luggage, but I'm quite good at finding space, because people are only supposed to use what is above them. You'll be amazed at how fast people will move their coat when they see my putting a case on top of it.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

@Miya, we have a Cathay Pacific flight for Hongkong in May next year and I will remember to observe the boarding method and I will post it here. At least we can have an actual fact regarding the boarding of that particular airline. My flight for the end of the month is Cebu Pacific Air for Singapore so it is a given that they just go with the boarding regardless of the seat number. But maybe @Ava is right with the short haul flights that don't bother with the method.

7. Ava

Ava Member

Short haul flights have a very quick turn around. I have several friends who are cabin crew, and they just want people on and off as soon as possible, as it's like a commuter route. As most people don't have check in baggage the flight can leave on time, so they get people on the plane as quick as possible.

Often delays occur with checked in luggage being loaded on, so when there isn't much they often allow for quick boarding. I used work at Gatwick on the domestic flights and it was very much a case of get people on quickly as that plane usually has another journey to do striaght after.

8. I guess I've never notices whether or not they call by numbers. I've been on a United flight that we were called by numbers but other than that it's usually first class and coach. Though, they usually seem to start their boarding early while the plane is still being checked, so by the time the plane is ready, we've been sitting for ten minutes. So, I guess it doesn't bother me. But it makes sense that they should organize it by numbers.