1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bohol, Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, May 5, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

For a nature tripper, I would recommend Bohol, an island province down south of Metro Manila. The floating restaurant is one experience worth remembering. Can you imagine dining on a river boat that is moving? And you will certainly not miss the sight of the chocolate hills which are actually brown limestone that looks like chocolate. And only in Bohol can you see the tarsier, the small monkey that is meek and tame.

There are other sights in Bohol like the vintage churches and the farms. For those wanting to go for a tour, check Agoda and other online tour sites.

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

Bohol is one of the best places to go to in the Philippines. There's lots of destinations to explore and it's relatively safe for tourists. The locals are very engaging and fun to be with as well. Here's a few pictures of what you have mentioned:
    • Cruise at Loboc River:
    picture_135.
    • The Incredible Chocolate Hills:
    chocolate-hills-m.
    • The Tarsier:
    tarsier.
    A few facts though and guides:
    • The Chocolate Hills only turn brown during the dry season. If it's monsoon season, they are green and lush.
    • You cannot take pictures of the tarsiers with flash. You also cannot see them for a long time because they are very nocturnal and shy. And oh, they can turn their heads around for up to 180 degrees. It's a compensation for them not being able to move their eyes around. They're so cute but you have to exercise caution when around them.
    • Other places to consider are: Hanging Bridge in Tigbao, Man-made forest in Bilar and Alona Beach in Panglao.
    I hope this helps!

christine, Corzhens and amelia88 like this.
  3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Coco the tarsier looks ADORABLE! Those big eyes - super cute!

I've never travelled to the Philippines, despite having seen quite a few other countries around the region - but the beautiful pictures in this post really have inspired me to look into it in more depth. The Chocolate Hills look like something completely out of this world! Nature truly is incredible. That cruise boat looks so interesting too! I've never seen a boat that looks like that!

Coco likes this.
  4. sararas

sararas Member

Oh, you really should come and visit if you get the chance. We may be a third-world country, but the beauty of our nature and the people are anything but! If you're a beach lover, we have beautiful beaches as mentioned by coco.
    alona beach.

balicasag.

5. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Oh, the chocolate hills would be a wonderful sight to see. I failed to visit Bohol while I was there but have often wished that I could do so at some point in the future. I love the beauty of the country, the nature, and culture of the people, the friendliness that you encounter everywhere. I may not have seen any tarsiers but I consider myself blessed to have gone on that trip. One thing I did see on my vacation to the Philippines was the island of Negros Oriental, where I spent a lovely weekend in Dumaguete City. There you will find the famous Rizal Boulevard overlooking the ocean. I spent hours just walking along it and staring out over the water. It was magnificent.

christine and Corzhens like this.
  6. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The Chocolate Hills in Bohol is always featured at travel blogs to represent the Philippines nowadays because of the unique landscape of hundreds of hills all close to one another. I did wonder if the 2013 Bohol earthquake have done much damage to the region and if the landmark was damaged as well. I remember seeing the destruction on TV. That age old structures of cathedrals that fell, damaged roads and bridges, residential homes, massive landslides and lives lost were heart-sinking. There was also a live interview when an aftershock made the reporter paused for awhile. I've read reviews by people who have actually been there after the incident and according to them, although the viewing platform was destroyed, a good number of the hills remained intact.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

So, since we have quite a few people from the philippines here, how would you as a local describe the differences between Bohol and the other touristic locations in the philippines?

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The oldest church was damage although it can still be repaired (I think the repair is ongoing). My sister went to Bohol as part of the medical mission team after the earthquake. She said the damage on structures is great and may need a big funding for reconstruction. The chocolate hills are still there and intact. During summer, the hills has brown color that look like chocolate hence the name. But during the rainy season, it is also a sight to behold when the hills turn green with vegetation.