1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing Along A Pet

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Some friends in Hongkong are urging me to bring along my dog when I back there. It's easier said than done because there are some requirements like the veterinary certificate and probably a sanitation clearance as well. But the biggest issue is the travel itself because the pet is supposed to be in a cage that will be placed in the cargo area of the plane. Oh, I cannot come to terms with that. I just cannot let my dog stay in the cargo area. Isn't there a way for me to just carry my dog on my lap while on the plane? That is the crux of the matter - the pet in the cargo area of the plane. e

2. I don't think it's possible to have your dog on your lap when you travel on a plane. Just think of the other passengers. Not everyone is a dog lover. Some are totally anti-dogs. I wouldn't put my dog in the cargo area either. I think the best thing to do is to leave your dog at home where it will be happy. Dogs don't need to travel to be happy.

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

It would depend on the airline, but you'll probably have to pay a lot for it to happen, if it can happen.

I would also vote against it because I don't think your dog will be comfortable on the plane -- cargo or sitting with you. It may make it anxious and it might start behaving differently. Plus like Aree Wongwanlee said other passengers might not be too happy about having a dog on board with them.

If your friends are dying to see your dogs, maybe you should ask them to come see you instead. It's really inconvenient to travel on a plane with a pet.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

United Airlines and Delta permit passengers to carry their small pets but there's an additional fee that is charged for that "privilege." Maybe you could do some research and find out which airlines will allow you to have your pet with you in the cabin.

If you can't find an airline that allows you to have your pet with you then as @Aree suggests, it would be better for the pet if you left it at home.

5. Looks like the majority vote is for leaving the dog at home. Don't worry about your dog being lonesome. I am sure you can find someone to babysit your dog while you are away. Surely you won't be away for too long, right? And when you come back, your dog will welcome you like it hasn't seen you for ten years. Mine does that even if I have left the house for only an hour.

6. Ava

Ava Member

I don't think it's fair for the pet to travel just for a holiday. Much better to pay for a dog sitter or cat sitter so they can be comfortable in their own home. In the US I guess many people do take their pets on planes when they travel, but that's domestic and not international. Most animals have to go in the hold if it is international and I imagine that's quite scary for them.