1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing An Umbrella

Discussion in 'North America' started by Corzhens, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It is a petty item but the umbrella is very important when you are on a tour especially when you are touring by yourself with no tour guide. The rain can ruin your plans and it will dampen your high spirits when you are confined to the hotel. Included in my list is the small foldable umbrella that I never fail to bring when we go abroad. It has saved us from rains in Vietnam, in Hongkong and also in Singapore. And for this month's trip, the rain is here so the umbrella is a must.

2. Ava

Ava Member

I usually buy a cheap one when I get to a country as it's less hassle to carry. The dollar shops sell them and they work just fine. For torrential rain in Asia, you need more than an umbrella, waterproofs and boots. I do sometimes carry one with me, but I don't always take it out with me. Often they can break too, and I had a great small black one, but I was so paranoid about losing it, I stopped taking it out with me.

3. I'm with Ava, I usually buy a cheap one if I need one. It never fails that I end up breaking it either in the bag or I lose it. Though, I kind of like the rain. Instead, I usually waterproof my jacket and my shoes. My tennis shoes have a couple layers of bees wax on them to keep my feet dry. I also have a rain coat that I can throw over my clothes to keep my dry. I find that is more practical for me.

4. Good idea. I use a walking stick to get around. When I travel, I try to find a sturdy umbrella to use instead of a walking stick. I like the big ones with a steel main stem. Then I can have an umbrella and a walking stick all in one. There are so many uses for an umbrella. Besides the obvious use in case of rain, an umbrella can also come in handy when faced with strange dogs.