1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A New Luggage

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, May 20, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The traveling bag we were using before was the one with thick leather and sturdy bottom. It is a good protection for our things since the bag will be in cargo and we know how those porters handle the cargo. When my credit card company offered a new luggage on a discount and zero interest installment, I chose the one with not so thick leather. My consideration was the weight because the old luggage was quite heavy.

Aside from this new, light luggage, I also bought a folding bag. So when we travel abroad, our baggage is only 1 but when we come home, we have at least 2 baggages for the check in. That folding bag is a space saver.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Right now my main go-to luggage is a hard case medium sized suitcase, and my backpack. These days when I travel I try and be as minimalist as possible, so I don't really have the need for a big suitcase. My hard case suitcase has been with me for about 6 years now and is still going strong - it's seen quite a few countries and airports and apart from probably needing a good wipe down it still is in fantastic condition. Same goes for my backpack!

Thankfully I've never had any luggage damaged or lost permanently when I have been traveling so that's a bonus.

3. Rachel

Rachel Member

I recently purchased one of the new micro-light suitcases that weighs less than 2kg. It's great as it means I can get a few extra kg of clothing in the case! It's a soft suitcase, so I guess you could argue that it's not as robust as the hard cases that a lot of people use, but now that the majority of airports offer shrink wrapping for luggage I don't see it as an issue.

4. Coco

Coco Active Member

We have different luggage types at home and what I bring with me depends on where we're going:
    • If it's just a domestic flight: We usually bring backpacks or our polyester luggage. Since it's usually just a few minutes or hours of flight or sometimes just a car ride away, we don't have to worry about the size or strength of our luggage.
    • If it's an international flight: We usually bring our nylon luggage or our polycarbonate luggage. The nylon luggage is pretty strong, many are made from fabrics used in the military. And I like that it has "give," and that we can squeeze in lots of clothes. Polycarbonate luggages are great as they're very lightweight and sturdy. But it can be easily scratched or cracked, so that's the downside.
    Other considerations would be:
    • Wheels. We have four wheels on all our luggages. We do travel a lot and we know that not all airports have smooth flooring or surfaces. Four-wheeled luggages are better able to handle tough surfaces and they can be pushed instead of just being pulled only.
    • Size. It depends on your height which suitcases would best fit you. So we have several luggages fit perfectly for the different heights of family members.

Admin likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Member

The point above, about wheels, is *very* important. Luggage without wheels is unthinkable - it would be like dragging a dead body around and you would be exhausted before you even got to your destination!

6. I try to get my luggage down to as small as possible so that I can have it as carry on. I usually use my backpack as my purse to minimize the number of luggage with one carry on. The carry on has to have wheels otherwise it's to heavy for long travel. Depending on the trip and how long I stay, I will include a bigger piece with nicer clothes and shoes for long business trips since it can't be helped. Otherwise, I try to keep it simple and make sure that I can find a laundromat or a hotel that will wash your clothes for you. That way you can pack less clothes. Any souvenirs I buy, I usually ship back via mail so I don't get charged the extra weight on the trip back. I was gone from home for a month and would send my souvenirs and things back every time I moved hotels so I wouldn't have to deal with moving it around. I really want to figure out how to go around the world with just a backpack but I have to many electronics.

7. I am not much for hardcased luggage. I would very much prefer those which are soft, made of fabric and can be folded up. The hardcased luggage is good for people who have things which may break or clothes which are ironed. Myself, when I travel, I only pack clothes which don't need ironing and those things which can break, I always carry them in my sling bag. My ideal traveling bag would be something like this:
    FsE95XQ.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Another good thing about that kind of fabric bag is that it looks like it's washable - I find that to be a handy thing when it comes to luggage, because if it gets something spilled on it, it's an easy fix to have it looking brand new again.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Oh yes, I regularly wash my luggage because it normally gets dirty when it is checked in to the cargo area. And although our luggage is not that big, it has wheels which is very comfortable when inside the airport. There are airports that don't allow trolleys when inside the boarding gates so you have to carry your carry-on bag and 7 kilos is not a joke to carry when you have to walk for miles, huh. The weight of the baggage should be given importance because a heavy bag can rob you of precious weight allowance.

10. Ava

Ava Member

I remember the time when there was no wheeled luggage and I coped, and now that most cases have wheels we are spoiled for choice. I still like lightweight holdalls as they can be folded up and can expand, but the danger is over packing them and busting the zips or if the handles can't take the weight. That's usually one of my problems.

I check how sturdy handles are and prefer ones with shoulder straps too that are attached with a link or clasps as they tend to be stronger. I always test zips as well, because if they aren't good quality ones you have to break into a case. One of my Samsonite cases had a zip that got caught and I had to cut into the zip lining to open the case as I was away for a month and everything was inside it. Sadly, that's now an under the bed storage case as it's too expensive to throw out.

11. I like the fabric luggage not just because it's washable. What's more important for me is that fabric luggage can double as a pillow. You don't have to go camping to need a pillow. If you are in between flights at the airport, a pillow would be comfortable. If you are traveling third class on the train, like I usually do, a pillow is very useful. With a fabric luggage, I have a ready-made pillow at hand all the time.