1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying The Best Souvenir

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

What do you think is the best souvenir of a place or a country? Naturally one that represents the place. On our first trip to Hongkong, our finances was not that good that's why I was not able to buy a souvenir except for the printed shirts that say something about Hongkong. But when I came back with a vengeance, I was able to buy expensive jewelry that says it is made of Chinese gold. I also bought a figurine Buddha.

In our first trip to Bangkok, I was attracted by an animal figurine made of jade in the jeweler shop. It costs a lot since the figurine is larger than my fist, quite heavy too. And when we left, I was delayed in the airport security check because the airport officer had wanted to see what's that solid thing in my hand-carry baggage. But aside from the delay, there was no other issue. Maybe next time, it is better to place the souvenir items in the check-in baggage to avoid delay.

Admin likes this.
  2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

None. I don't consider souvenirs to be a necessity... clothes are ok since I'll actually end up using them but most other things will just get stuck on a shelf somewhere.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm a foodie, really - I love exploring cultures through food! So to me, the best souvenirs to bring back home for people are interesting and unique yummy things we can't get back home. Chocolate, candy, interesting jams or spreads, tea, coffee - anything like that is the best to me. Plus, a person can just consume it and then it's not a knick knack collecting dust that they feel obligated to keep.

4. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I'm a photographer at heart and photos are the best memories in my opinion. When I travel, my camera is my constant companion and I will take hundreds of photos of the places and people I've seen. I love to look back through them afterward to remember the fun situations I was involved in while traveling. Don't get me wrong, I do buy souvenirs when I travel, but usually they are just small things that are affordable and bring about a solid memory of a place I've been to. If in ten years, I look at an item and can't recall where I got it... that's not a good souvenir. I should be able to glance at it, smile and remember the good times. Post cards are great for me, especially if it's of something that I was unable to photograph myself and those can be looked at for decades afterward to bring back the old memories.

5. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I've always wanted to have an authentic Chinese dress if ever I get the chance to travel in Hong Kong or China. Also some delicacies that are the specialties in that particular area would be nice. Baked goods, rice, cakes, sweets, and sometimes a book about the place. When I was younger that's what my mom used to do because she said it's like taking a little piece of history of the place home with us. She actually has a collection from her trip in the US in the late 80s when she was still working at the Folk Arts Theater.

6. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I'm not really that into physical souvenirs, as I'm a freak about dust collectors. Anything that doesn't have a function is not needed. Therefore, in terms of souvenirs, I might buy a food utensil unique to the culture (i.e. a stylized soup spoon or chopsticks), traditional clothing that I can wear or socks. Moreover, I prefer taking photographs as part of the memories. You can tell a lot of stories using photographs. Postcards are great to bring back from trips too, especially the ones that feature landmarks and scenery you might have missed.

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

The only kind of souvenirs I buy is food... like a specialty in the place I'm visiting. For example, when I went to Okinawa last month, I came back with loads of Okinawan salts, pineapple juice, and beniimo (purple sweet potato). I don't mind spending my money on food souvenirs, but I'm not into other stuff. At most, I'll buy a little phone strap for my phone, but even that I have to think twice about.

8. I have an uncle who has a very strange way of traveling. He travels basically with just the clothes on his back. Not even a bag. Everything he buys at his destination. This may be a bit costly but it does make some kind of sense. When he goes home, he would be bringing along many souvenirs of his travels, right on his back. I don't think I can travel like that. I travel light but I like to bring along my favorite traveling clothes. As for souvenirs, if I buy any at all, I would go for small items which are totally made locally and not found elsewhere. I find it quite ridiculous to bring back something which can bought in any shopping center anywhere in the world.