1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capsule Hotels In Japan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Apr 23, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Now this was something I never did in Japan, but I was always curious about it.

Has anyone ever stayed in a capsule hotel? They're essentially just a pod with a bed and maybe a bit of space for a backpack and somewhere to charge your electronic devices but that's about it. I'm not a particularly claustrophobic person, but I wondered if I would develop some case of claustrophobia in one of these capsule hotels.

I've heard other people say it freaked them out too much because it reminded them of a coffin (morbid, right?!) so I think the cramped space of them puts people off. I do think they can be a great cheap alternative to a hotel room though if you're just looking for somewhere to rest your head!

Myrr likes this.
  2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I haven't tried them but the idea is great. Basically it's just like a hostel dorm but with less distractions like the guy above you snoring too loudly. :D So yeah, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, I've seen them starting to pop up elsewhere too. Actually I always have these business ideas and I did think about how great it would be to start one of these in some city in Europe... property prices are always high but since you can stick 10 guys in a room you could offer cheap accomodation in a good location for backpackers.

Myrr likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We have a trip to Japan early next year of 2017. We already have bought plane tickets and what's lacking are the visa and accommodation. I have seen the photo of that capsule hotel and I tell you I would never stay there. I have claustrophobia and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to sleep in that very cramped space. I understand that Japan is a very expensive country but I am willing to spend more for a good hotel than staying in the cheap capsule hotel. By the way, our trip in March is to Osaka. We just want to experience the so called cherry blossom.

Myrr likes this.
  4. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never stayed in a capsule hotel, but it's on the list. I did my final project for Japanese class on hotels and found out a lot of interesting things about capsule hotels. I think it's worth checking out at least once. It's cheap and it's really a "only in Japan" thing.

But that's just me. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with having such limited space. I personally don't mind because I never spend a lot of time in hotels anyway. If I'm staying at hotel, it's because I'm on a trip and when I"m on a trip, I'm out and about all the time. So I'm fine with staying at a capsule hotel.

amelia88 and Myrr like this.
  5. Myrr

Myrr Member

A friend of mine who went to Japan just recently tried this. He told me that it's comfortable enough, especially for people like me and him who are small of stature. It may be a bit uncomfortable for big guys because of the cramped space, thus will make one feel claustrophobic. I definitely want to try this. I'm used to cramped spaces so this won't be a bother. ;)

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think some capsule hotels have different size capsules. So if you are a little bigger, you can rent a bigger capsule for a little more in price.

Myrr likes this.
  7. Myrr

Myrr Member

Hi @Miya!

Thanks for that information. When my friend posted his pictures on social media, the capsules were side by side, and one on top of the other, so I assumed that they only have one size. He checked in at the Tokyo Ginza Bay Hotel. I'm wondering if they also have regular rooms or just limited to capsules.

8. crimsonghost747

That sounds great! I'm not the biggest person ever but I still don't feel like getting crammed into a thing that's designed for a 160cm japanese guy. :D

Myrr likes this.
  9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's a really good point - most of the time when I am vacationing, especially in a new country, I'm only in the hotel to sleep and shower to get ready for the day - in which case I don't need a lot of space or fancy things. I'm just wasting money if I book myself a big room. I would be curious to know what the bathroom/shower facilities are like in these capsule hotel places too. As long as those facilities were clean I think maybe I would give it a try!

10. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

I've heard of this. I'm not claustrophobic but I think I would start to be when I experience staying there. Lol. It sounds freaky!!! Yes, it reminds me of a coffin too and I would never sleep in one despite my desperation. I'd rather spend a few more bucks to feel more comfortable. I'm not sure but I think the restrooms are shared??? That really puts me off because I spend an awful lot of time in the bathroom and I wouldn't want to pressure myself to hurry up because people are waiting. This capsule thing really won't work for me.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

This is a very economic solution, it is also very fifth elementish solution :) I am a bit claustrophobic and I am afraid I wouldn't like it there. I have seen the pictures and it is okay even, I am not that claustrophobic but I really like comfort and cosy places where I can enjoy the space. This is maybe too small. It looks good for sleeping but the ventilation is probably a bit of a problem. At least it would be for me. I like to sleep with open window and haven't seen a window on this capsules.

12. crimsonghost747

Well I'd expect pretty much the same as you can find in any hostel where the bathroom is shared with other guests. So generally not bad, especially if it's not the worst looking hostel that you can find. You should be just fine, I don't imagine you as one of the super girly girls who jumps and screams at the sight of a little dirt. ;)

amelia88 likes this.
  13. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

They have those little pods in the airports too. I've seen it on the travel channel. I don't think I would be able to sleep in such a small place. I'm pretty claustrophobic, and had trouble sleeping in my friends tiny little room in San Francisco.

14. Coco

Coco Active Member

I find capsule hotels very interesting:

9-hours-capsule-hotel-Japan.
    I would love to experience sleeping in a capsule hotel, even at least once in my life. For me, the capsule hotel doesn't seem so cramped. There's ample space to move a bit or sit down. The only thing that would bother me is that I'm sleeping so close to other strangers, lol. Even though we have a supposed wall, it's just weird sleeping in proximity with people I don't know. However, if the close quarters are occupied by my family or friends, it's fine. Or at least if there's someone I know that is sleeping there as well.

I think it's that thing where you have to do it at least once in your life. As far as choosing this as my main accommodation choice in Japan, I don't think so. I would need my own bathroom and kitchen at least. And these capsule hotels just don't have that. I doubt that my son would stay put in this room too.

15. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I haven't tried one yet but hope to try in the near future. I think these hotels are a great short term option, if you're just staying in Tokyo for a couple of days for example they are great value. They are also located near major train stations and in city centres making them great options for short term tourists. You can find them near airports too.

16. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

No I'm definitely not too girly girly! Definitely not the type that's on vacation painting my nails or things like that - you're more likely to find me out hiking or something! A little dirt is fine, but once I stayed at a backpackers hostel where some people didn't even have the decency to flush the toilet... o_Oo_Oo_O now that had me kind of grossed out!

I always prefer to have a private bathroom if I can, but let's face it sometimes that isn't possible!

17. crimsonghost747

Yes private rooms are nice but sometimes they are quite expensive compared to a dorm accomodation. And I'm exactly like most of us here, when I travel I'm in the hotel to sleep, maybe eat breakfast and to take a shower at the end of the day. So the type of accomodation doesn't really matter so much.

That picture makes these capsules look much bigger than I was expecting. Then again it's a japanese girl in the picture and they aren't known to be the biggest in the world so might still be a bit crammed for a western guy.

18. christine

christine New Member

There's a hotel in the Phippines which adopted Japan's concept of capsule hotel, the Kabayan Hotel in Pasay City. The price is Php 750 per night. I'm not sure if this concept succeeded because there are plenty of options for cheap accommodations here like Sogo Hotel and some backpackers inn. I personally won't be able to sleep in a capsule room. Most of the complaints I heard from those who tried it include noisy roommates and too many people sharing a bathroom.

19. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I haven't heard of that but I'd say that 750 pesos, almost $20 per night is very expensive for a capsule accommodation. And you are right with Sogo Hotel which is cheap and is a real hotel room. But from what I heard the cheap rooms in Sogo Hotel don't have their own bathroom so guests have to use a common toilet and bathroom. Well, that's the price you pay. And with the Kabayan Hotel that is a capsule, I don't think it flourished because as I said, I haven't heard about it yet. Like you, I wouldn't stay in a capsule hotel. We have a trip to Japan in March of 2017 and I assured myself that we are going to stay in a real hotel no matter if it is expensive.