1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle Of "dracula"

Discussion in 'Europe' started by GenevB, Apr 25, 2016.

1. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Romania is famous for its vampire tales. One I'm pretty sure most of you have heard about, is the story of "Dracula" from Transylvania. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this story has nothing to do with vampires, however I'm going to tell you how all these rumors started.

A couple hundred of years back, when the Ottoman empire was trying to get their hands on Europe, there was one little country which they always failed to achieve, they were always beaten here. Here is the country, were the man who was more diabolical then the devil itself, lived, as least that's what the stories tell. Back in those days, people say that you could've left a pouch full of gold anywhere outside and no one would take it because they were fearing the punishment, which was cut of the hand or even worse, to be impaled. This is the story of Vlad "the Impaler" Tepes.

One of the stories that got him the Dracula name, ("dracul" in Romanian translates as "the Devil") it also happen to be one of my favorite. The ottomans were preparing for attack, Vlad got word about that, and they were outnumbered by far. He ordered that every single death corpse of an ottoman they've killed to be taken and brought with them. They went as spies, and terrorized the ottoman enemies when they were sleeping, they brought few animals and started beating them until they would cry their pain out, also some men with powerful voices made all kinds of scream. The ottoman people didn't have an idea about what that was, and you can imagine, if you'd hear something like that, while you're preparing to attack in the middle of the night, and you'd be 200-300 years back, you'd make all kind of thoughts. But the best was yet to come, when they finally got to the fortress (or something like that, I can't recall for sure) they were attacking, it was literally a death parade. Hundreds or even thousands of death corpses of their ottoman comrades were standing in front of them, as they were impaled, you can imagine how would that make you feel, even if you are the bravest of them all. The only thing that made them attack, after few hesitations, was death threat by their leader, however, you can imagine the end result. Those who lived after those days, told their children the story of the "land of the devil" and I know that some of them scare their children even to this day with stories about Vlad "Dracul".

This name was letter derived into Dracula by the western societies. 3ec9fe357b2808c9902b81d8d636644f. history-lists-7-terrifying-historical-figures-vlad-the-impaler-89864433-E.

Also his castle can be seen and visited to this day, but I wouldn't expect to find any vampire around, only very smart guys like he was. castelul-bran.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Another interesting post on Romania! Vlad the Impaler was always one of my favorite historical figures. The origins behind the Count Dracula tales are fascinating, aren't they? I mean, there are a plethora of other stories much like Vlad's, but more or less everyone knows who Dracula is. I, for one, have always wanted to visit the castle. I think it looks so beautiful set amongst the deep emeralds of the forest.

3. GenevB

GenevB New Member

I have been there myself several times, however I think I was inside of the castle only once or twice, for some reason, I can't recall any memory of what was inside. Back when I was younger, I found this castle really boring and I was more excited by the other attractions in Brasov city. You definitely have lots of places to visit in Romania, there are some I don't even know about, but there are still lots that I'm going to post about. This country has everything from mountains to sea, from castles to big buildings, from waterfalls to haunted forests.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Aren't vampires known to be able to make humans forget things??? :D

Anyway, of course I know the stories about Vlad. What I didn't know is that his castle does not look scary at all!

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

As I had posted in another thread, I am amazed by Europe and any European country is good destination and interesting to me. Although I am not fond of horror movies, I still relish that idea of taking a selfie in the castle of Count Dracula. In my mind, I can picture that castle in Transylvania as a vintage structure with great architecture and elegant interior design. And even if I already know that the story of Count Dracula is just a folklore, it has a lot of historical value. And as a tourist, that place would be a great find.

6. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Good point there, who knows, maybe I am the vampire waiting for the victims :D.
    Also, the castle might look scary, it all depends on the lights, how they fall on the castle.

If someone is interested in visiting that, there is a place which is called something like "scary house" near this castle, you might want to go there, it costs about 3.9 and depending on your heart, you will get the scare of your life or the distraction of your life. You encounter there all kinds of scary stuff, there are even people trying to catch you after some curtains.

7. crimsonghost747

So it's one of those houses where they have actual actors around? And things designed to scare you in the "something scary pops up right in front of you" way?

8. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

This destination definitely must be on your bucket list If you're a huge fan of horror movies. As far as I know, it's not that difficult to take a trip into that area. Romania makes money on that Dracula thing. Basically, it's one of the reasons why this country is known to the world, especially to the US citizens who are not the best at geography.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I was also going to say that even in parts of Europe, especially the UK, Romania is probably the most well known for its connection with Dracula.

Romania is becoming a tourist hotspot more and more these days, and I think it's only natural for a coubtry to advertise and try and cash in on one of its biggest exports, if you want to call him that.

10. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I have never visited Romania although it is a neighbouring country. My first destination will probably be Transylvania and Bucharest. I heard a lot of nice things about Romania and Dracula legend and the castle ... Everything is just great. Another curiosity since someone mentioned vampires. This is actually a Serbian word, vampire. Here in Serbia we just say Vampir but yeah it Serbian. I am actually relatively close to the border of Romania and I will probably go on a one day trip there. Why not?

11. I have been to Transylvania in December and I actually saw that castle! Yes, Romania and especially Transylvania is known for its castles and the scenery is beyond imagination beautiful! I will definitely pay another visit next year.

12. maxen57

maxen57 Member

This was featured in Ghost Adventures, a paranormal investigation show. Vlad the Impaler's castle still has that energy to it and some are saying that's it's still haunted. There's also another story about a girl who disappeared into the forest when she was three years old I think, only to come back a few years later. Eerieness aside, I think Romania still has that old world charm that draws travelers to it. It would be a nice place to visit someday.

13. I have decided to visit Transylvania again in the summer since I made some money in the past few days.
    I can't wait to visit the the castles again.

14. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Yes, they have actors (I don't know if they are professional though) and all the things are designed to scare you, there isn't anything that pops in front of you to make you scream, but they touch you in the darkest places of this house, and you get really freaked out because you have no idea about that if you are on the first experience, you simply don't know where the touch came from as they are staying after some curtains. If you are too scared and start to cry, swear, get panicked they help you find the exit.

15. crimsonghost747

I've been to one of those places before and it was quite interesting. I'm not a big fan of being scared but I thought the way it was done was brilliant... and this certainly sounds good too!

16. Valentino

Valentino Member

I have yet to visit Romania but if I do then I'd want to see the castle of Vlad the impaler since I've read so many stories about him and how cruel a man he was. I wonder if Vlad's castle or whatever remains of it is haunted. Too many people met violent ends in there after all.