1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child Friendly Travel?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, May 12, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

A post by Coco in another thread about airports got me thinking. The post mentioned that Incheon airport in South Korea has a playroom for children to keep them occupied - and I thought that was a fabulous thing for parents.

I'm sure a few of you on the forum already have children, and I'm curious to know what destinations you've found have been best in terms of catering to children and things that made your lives easier as parents?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In Singapore, Changi airport has a drawing board not only for children but also for adults. The board is actually a long table which has carvings. An accessory by the side holds easel sheets and crayons that one can use to trace the carvings on the easel sheet. I created my own tracing and brought it home as a souvenir. There were children beside me as if we were in a contest of sorts. I'd say Changi airport is child-friendly because the children have a sort of art playground.

amelia88 likes this.
  3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I don't have children but I did travel a few times with my younger siblings when they were really young. Honestly with children I think it's best to go for the resort type of destinations, it's not my own cup of tea but it really does cater to families. Short distances to everything you need including food (and some western food too, don't even try taking a 5 year old for some different local delicacies every day! :D), good quality swimming pools and usually they also have some sort of activities for children so the parents can get a bit of time off too.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

These days I think that most tourist destinations will cater for children as more and more families are choosing to go abroad on their holidays.

The tourism industry wants to make as much money as they can, and the best way to do that is to try and cater for as many different people as they can, and that will include the smaller tourists!

5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Though I don't have kids, I often find myself feeling sorry for them during vacations. Unless the parents are taking the kids to Disney or a similar attraction, travel is hard and not very amusing for the little ones.

Most places you travel through--as in going from one place to another--don't have much for kids. Train stations are kind of devoid of fun stuff. Airports are scant in entertainment even for adults. What I find most amusing is the playgrounds available in malls (around USA from my experience and there's one in Sunshine City, Ikebukuro, JP too) and the one now located in the Board of Immigration at Shinagawa, Japan. Immigration's not necessarily a "tourist attraction," but since so many foreigners have to go there at some point, I figured it's worth a mention.

Really though, unless the location is more or less catering to a more matured crowd, there will be something for kids. Playgrounds, prize machines, arcades, picture spots and the like are usually scattered about popular tourist attractions, wherever you go in the world.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That sounds like a brilliant thing to have! I've always heard people raving about how wonderful Changi Airport is for really any age - I can see why! That's a great thing to have. I read somewhere they also have an indoor butterfly exhibit there at the airport too! Lots of fun to be had!

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I think that it is great that there are places really making an effort for children - because going on holiday with your family is important as an experience to have when you're a child, so it is vital that airports and other travel companies make it as easy as possible. I loved travelling when I was younger, and I would have hated to have thought that anything could have come between that.