1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China Or Japan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Francis, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Francis

Francis New Member

I live in Nairobi Kenya and I have been planning of visiting China or Japan. Which country can I visit first? I have been thinking of visiting Shenzhen to tour the industrial city. Since I was young I have always dreamt about Tokyo because of it's robots. That has made me to think about visiting Japan.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Being that I live in Japan, I would say, yes, definitely come to Tokyo. You'll have a lot of fun. There's way more than just robots here, and the city is incredibly large. Each district has its own distinct feel, and you never know what you're going to find. Also, if you have any questions about Japan, feel free to ask.

However, China is also an amazing place--rich in culture, history, industry... I think visiting Shenzhen would be a worthwhile experience too. It depends really on what you like more: Chinese culture or Japanese culture? Either one you choose is a win.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I had been to Beijing, China last year for a memorable trip to the Great Wall where I experienced my first real snow. I haven't been to Japan yet but we have a trip for Osaka in March of next year (we already have the plane tickets). Comparing the 2 countries, I would say Japan is better than China because China is not that modern yet. With the food, some people like Japanese more than Chinese food although we in our country have Chinese orientation. What I didn't like in China is the internet. There is no Google, there is no Facebook either. Both sites are banned in China in favor of their own Baidu site.

And another edge of Japan is their Disneyland and other theme parks which China doesn't have. In fact, we only went to Beijing for the Great Wall. And we thought Tiananmen square is a great place but it's a bit disappointing for a tourist. So maybe we would enjoy our Japan trip next year than what we experienced in China last year.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Personally I would say Japan but I've only been to Hong Kong, not mainland China! I love Japan for its cleanliness, organized nature and polite people. I also think there's something to interest just about anyone there. Whether it's culture, shopping, the outdoors...it really is an amazing country with so much to offer!

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've been to both places and was actually born in Hong Kong (now part of China, but when I was born it was under British rule). If you are traveling alone, I'd recommend going to Japan. It's safer and people are more friendly there. If you travel to China (especially Mainland), I'd recommend going in a group. It's not that safe to go alone especially if you cannot speak Mandarin (or at least have a basic understanding of it). Plus a part of China is still pretty racist so things might get complicated and unpleasant if you are traveling alone and have no idea what's happening. Of course, that's not the case in all of China, but it happens.

If you've never been to Asia, I'd say stop by Japan first. It's a great country to visit. Although your dream of seeing your robots might not come true... Tokyo will be okay and modern, but if you go elsewhere, you'll find that despite the image Japan gives, it's pretty behind in a lot of things lol.

6. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I would definitely see Japan first as it's always been a dream vacation country since I was a child. We've been seeing a lot of Japanese culture being featured on television and the festivals and food were enough to make you pack your bags and head straight for the country. Japan is also a well maintained country where cleanliness is prioritized. China right now is still engulfed in smog and if you don't have any health issues, it would not be my first choice.

7. Between China and Japan, I would opt for Japan. My parents are from China but somehow I don't have any real urge to visit the old motherland. Japan, on the other hand, is intriguing to me. From what I know, a lot of Japanese culture has its roots in Chinese culture. The Japanese language uses Chinese ideograms as one of its written forms. They call it kanji which sounds like a variation on hanzi the Chinese word for the Chinese language. The Japanese also has the abacus but in an improved form. Same goes for the chopsticks. The Japanese chopsticks are shorter and, in my opinion, are easier to use.

8. If you dreamed of going to Japan since you were young, I would go there first. You can always save China when you have a definitive reason to go there. Plus, China is so huge that you'll probably need to visit a couple times to see the whole scope of the country.

9. I think a couple of times would still hardly scratch the surface when it comes to touring China. I have a student who makes money from importing things from China. He told me that the industries there are organized around cities. So, for example, if he wants to buy shoes, he would go to the city which specializes in footwear. There will be hundreds of factories manufacturing all kinds of footwear at all kinds of prices. To get another product, he will have to go to another city. To get from one city to the next, he has to fly. It's just too far away to go by road.