1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice Plane Seats

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Our favorite airline is Cebu Pacific for it always have a promo for discounted tickets. However, the airline's planes are pretty small with only 6 seats in a row, that's 3x3 with the aisle in the middle. And the legroom is punishing if you are a tall person (I am 5 feet 4 only so it does not bother me).

Fortunately, we discovered that the online booking has a seat option where you can choose a preferred seat in the plane. And since the first row has the biggest legroom, we always get that for the price of 450 pesos which is around $10. For me and my husband, that's a total of $20 for one way and another for the return flight. It is costly but sitting in the front row is very comfortable.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I have personally never paid for a seat reservation and I never will. As long as I get a window seat, I'm happy. (and with most airlines you can pick your seat when doing your check in, so the early bird catches the worm!) Also, if you know the layout of the plane, you can try to pick seats that are located at emergency exits, you are not allowed to store luggage under the seat in front of you but you will have more leg room.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always try and get an aisle seat. Some airlines I've found don't charge for it, others do - but as long as it's not a ridiculous overcharge I am usually prepared to pay it. I like being able to get up during a flight and walk around, and not have to potentially wake someone else up to do so - so it's worth the additional cost most times for my own comfort!

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

Most LCC airlines will charge you for reserving a seat. I try to never pay for a seat (unless I'm traveling with a friend who wants to sit together). To me, it's stupid to pay extra for a seat because buying a ticket kind of includes a seat on it's own. So why pay more? I find that if you get to the airport early enough they'll ask you if you want a aisle or window seat. And if you check in at the airport with your family/friends, they'll usually seat you together. So most of the time it works out. It's just that sometimes they don't have seats together so you might not get your preferred seat.

As for extra legroom... while it's nice, it's not a necessity for me. So I don't pay for a seat with extra legroom :p

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Yeah it'll usually work out in the end. I love to do my check in online and pretty much everytime I get to choose a seat that is where I'd like to have it anyway... at no extra cost. Sure you could pay the small fee to be guaranteed to have that place but I rather take my chances. If I can't get the ones I want, no worries, there is almost always multiple free window seats when I do my check in. And if not, then aisle is fine too. :p

Bad practice from Vueling: they won't even let you choose your seat when checking in. Instead they will assing a random one for you at check in, if you want to change it then you will have to pay. (I think it was between 3 and 10 euros depending on the seat)

6. I prefer to sit in the aisle since I always feel guilty if I need to get up and go to the bathroom. I've reserved seats on a plane up to a couple of months in advance just to ensure that I got a seat on the right day and an aisle. Half the time there is a charge because it's preferred but I don't mind.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We took the plane last month for our trip to the province. As usual, we got our booking online. And out of habit, I got the choice seat and paid for it. Little did I know that the plane is a small one with 4 seats in a row only (2 on each side of the aisle) with the door at the rear. It's a good thing that my nephew had tipped us about the size of the plane so we were able to get a seating in the last row which is very convenient. However, the fee for the reserved seat was forfeited since the booking officer said they don't do refunds.

So next time when you get an online booking for a plane, be sure to know the kind of plane.

8. I haven't traveled by plane for many years. My preferred mode of travel is the train, third class. However, if I were to travel by plane, and if I have a choice of seats, I would pick an aisle seat. Looking out of the window at the clouds doesn't seem interesting to me. It's more interesting to watch people. An aisle seat is much more strategic for people-watching.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's absolutely a good point to remember. When I know the type of plane that I'll be flying, there's a website called Seatguru.com and it tells you the best seats on a particular aircraft - it's a handy tool to have, if you can select your seat you're able to identify what kind of space you'll have and what it's near - for instance I never like sitting too close to the bathrooms, yuck!

Corzhens and Miya like this.
  10. Miya

Miya Active Member

Wow, thanks for mentioning that. I'm going to have to check out that site. I didn't know such sites existed. It's going to be a big help when I do some traveling later on in the year.

amelia88 likes this.
  11. Ava

Ava Member

I always choose a window seat, and usually I can check in online and do it at the same time. However, some airlines still say that is provisional until you actually arrive at the airport.

I've never paid for a specific seat, but would only do so if it was long haul and overnight, otherwise it's not really worth it. As I travel alone, it's easier to get bumped up, and also to switch seats if necessary. It's happened a few times, so being flexible can mean you get better seats.

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My husband always prefer a window seat because he documents the takeoff and touchdown of the plane. And lately we have been getting the front seats because of the wide leg room. The ordinary rows have cramped leg room that it's difficult to stretch. With the front row seat, you can even slouch with no problem. Our trips are short only, the longest is the 4 and 1/2 hours to Beijing but usually it's only 3 and 1/2 hours to Singapore or Bangkok. But even with our Hongkong trip of less than 2 hours, we still avail of the choice seats.