1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climbing Mount Fuji

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, May 9, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Has anyone done this?

I've been to Japan and seen Fuji on several occasions, but I have never climbed it! And apparently, legend says that if you go to Japan but don't climb Fuji you'll always find a reason to return to Japan.

I'd say Japan holds a special place in my heart, and I think I would like to climb Fuji - but I'm curious to know how intense it is. I'm a fairly capable hiker, but I've never climbed a legitimate mountain before!

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never climbed Mt.Fuji before, but my friend did and she said it's pretty tough. She went in the winter and she said it was one of the toughest climbs of her life. Of course, it was worth it because it was a great experience, but it was hard.

Me though, I'm not interested in climbing Fuji. Not much of a hiker. Also, it's supposed to erupt soon since it's been asleep for way too long. I'm paranoid XD

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That worries me too! There was a volcano that erupted a couple years back in Japan, I think...I can't remember the name but it was a fairly regularly hiked mountain and I think quite a few people sadly lost their lives because they couldn't escape in time.

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

That would be Mt.Aso. It was a tragedy :( Mt.Fuji is long overdue for an eruption too so chances are actually quite high.

I think I'm content with seeing it from afar XD

5. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

I never been to Japan but I heard Mount Fuji was haunted. People go to that mountain to commit suicide. I’m basing my judgments off a movie clip. Do not take me very seriously. It is just a rumor. If you want to climb the mountain, please go with a friend. Do not climb the mountain by your self. There is no telling what can happen in those woods.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I'm not much into mountain climbing so I guess I have to be contented with a selfie near Mt. Fuji. This reminds me of our Taal Volcano, reputedly the smallest volcano in Asia. It is situated inside a big lake. To go to the volcano, you have to take a motorized banca and take the more than 1-hour climb. But the crater is a sight to behold. It is like a lake inside a lake with vegetation all around. And to think that once in a while Taal Volcano is acting up, it is nature at its best. We had a trip there last January that was cancelled due to bad weather. So until now I still have to see that cratere, that is if I can brave the climb.

7. Coco

Coco Active Member

Sadly, no, I haven't climbed Mount Fuji and I don't think I'm capable enough to do it as well. Considering that you have to be pretty much fit and active to do so, which I don't think I'm that fit and active enough to try and do so. And then, you would also need the strength of the mind to even finish the climb. I guess I would need to enhance these aspects of myself first before considering climbing Mount Fuji.

Anyway, from what I've read, climbing it consists of 10 stations. After the fifth station, there aren't any paved roads anymore. Some of the people who have climbed it have said that the main issue with the climb is the thinning of the air that you breathe and the stress of it all. There isn't much problem with the steepness of the climb, as per what people have reported.

I've also read that the best time to climb would have to be at night and wait for the sunrise. Or during the afternoon and spend the night in the 8th or 7th summit and climb the last stations the next day.

I think it can be fun to climb Mount Fuji with friends and even loved ones. But even solo climbers can have fun as lots of people actually climb the mountain anyway.

amelia88 likes this.
  8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Those are great tips, @Coco! I think that the part about the best times to climb Mt Fuji is really important. You wouldn't want weather conditions to be a factor that would impact your climb negatively.

It certainly would be an incredible experience to share with a loved one - I'm sure it would be so memorable and plus, the encouragement from a loved one to keep going if it was getting too tough would also be helpful!

9. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Ah, I was going to mention what Coco did, but she beat me to the punch!

I haven't gotten around climbing Mt. Fuji yet. I'm not particularly paranoid about it erupting, as the volcanic seismology reports showing Fuji-san sleeping most soundly. There'd be a lot of geological and ecological signs happening prior to a volcanic eruption--which there hasn't been. I'd be more concerned with an earthquake happening and causing a tremendous landslide...

A few friends of mine have taken the trip. One chickened out at the fifth station because it was getting darker early, and he didn't want to climb higher without proper light. The others that have made it to the top have stated two things: 1. That climbing the mountain is physically demanding but amazing, and 2. Getting to the top and looking down on Japan, seeing everything you couldn't before, and sipping an ice cold beer is heaven.

10. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I'm open to climbing Mt. Fuji since it would add to the thrill of the whole experience in traveling Japan. I would love to be able to challenge myself and see how much of it I can climb. I'd have to try when I'm in a fitter shape since not only am I obese, my leg also has an issue. I wouldn't mind going on a camping trip on any station and see the sunrise as well. The base of Mt. Fuji, just at the northwest side lies Suicide Forest which I think is really creepy because there had been a number of remains of people that have been found there. Google it. There's bound to have so much paranormal energy there too.

Last edited: May 12, 2016