1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Climate Is A Deterrent For Our Travels

Discussion in 'North America' started by Corzhens, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We tasted our first real snow in January of last year when we went to Beijing, China. It was zero degree centigrade and we were really freezing. Right on the first day, my husband already had chafed lips due to the cold temperature. It's good that the hotel is cozy with a heater and hot water. When talking of traveling outside Asia, our first concern is the cold temperature particularly in the northern part of America. We have an invitation from Canada but until now we cannot come to terms in going there because of the extreme cold.

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

I'm extremely afraid of the cold so I hate traveling to cold places. I would only visit a cold place if it had something that's really worth seeing. For example, I wouldn't mind going to Hokkaido in the winter because they have a Snow Festival and it looks really cool.

As far as North America goes, not all places are super cold in the winter. If you go to California or the west coast, it's really never too cold there.

3. I moved away from Nebraska because it snowed. I think most of America, excluding Alaska, has predicable seasons so while the north half of the country is cold during the winter the summers are still reasonably warm. As for California, we have snow here, Northern California has great skiing in the winter and better hiking in the summer. I've heard that the lower parts of Canada are pretty reasonable during the summer months, I would just plan around the time you expect it to be warmish. But I get your resistance to going to cold place. Unless you ski, snow board, or some other winter activity, it's hard to justify spending good money on a cold vacation.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

There are some States in the U.S you could visit that aren't that cold. Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina have the best weather in the U.S all year round. And Florida has some of the best beaches in the world. So if you want to visit the U.S and want to be in a warm sunny place, Florida should be your destination.

5. This is rather strange. I mean the part about cold weather being a deterrent. From what I remember, many people from tropical countries would go to countries which have snow. They don't seem to be deterred by the cold at all. Myself, I have never had any fascination with snow so I am neutral about traveling to cold countries. When I travel I am more interested in meeting people.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think people from tropical countries want to go to countries that snow just for the experience. It would be hard adjusting to the cold weather if you've been living in a hot climate your whole life. I'm sure it's the same the other way too; people who live in cold places will want a warm summer every once in a while, but then they won't be able to stand the heat once it hits them.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I can understand how super cold weather could be seen as a deterrent, especially if you're really used to a tropical, humid climate and extreme cold seems even colder when you're not used to it!

I do think for me, sometimes getting to experience the cold and snow is a fun thing. Because I'm from California where it doesn't really get all that cold, even in winter, it's fun for me to experience snow and having to really rug up with big bulky jackets and things like that. I like getting to visit places like Colorado and things like that, where they get a good amount of snow, it's just such a novelty to me!