1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confirming Accommodation Booking

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Corzhens, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Do you confirm your accommodation booking before leaving for abroad? It is a sad experience for us when our booking was not confirmed and we arrived in the destination with no accommodation. We had to scour the place for a hotel. Until now, the problem is not determined on who was at fault, is it the booker or the hotel? It is actually a hotel in the province and the booker is a local firm. They are both denying the mistake although the booking company has offered us free accommodation next time.

2. Ava

Ava Member

That's awful, but it does happen as many places overbook. Some chains do confirm bookings whatever time you arrive, but some will only hold your room until a certain time. I do confirm a booking these days by usually telling the hotel what time I might arrive. Then they know not to give away my room.

I am a Hilton member and use them most of the time, and they guarantee the room for you. If in doubt offer to pay a deposit, as then they are less likely to give away your room.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I mainly book accommodation through the booking.com app, and they have confirmation details emailed to you as well as stored in the app - so it's super convenient for that very reason. I always like having that information easily accessible, so that if there are any issues when I try to check in that I can show them what was booked -- and at that point I feel like the responsibility then falls on the hotel for them to sort something out for me.