1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking Your Food

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When you are able to get an accommodation that has a kitchen and cooking implements, do you cook your own food? My sister has that style. She cooks breakfast at least so they can save a little money. We once had booked in a small hotel in Hong Kong but we forgo with the cooking. For us, a vacation should be savored to the fullest.

2. I do enjoy cooking for myself when I get a chance. It's rare though that I get a place that has a real kitchen. Mostly though, the best I can get is a refrigerator and microwave. I like to save money but I also start craving home cooking when I stay for long periods in another country. It's a good way to save in certain countries, while others it's just a cheap and convenient to eat out.

3. Ava

Ava Member

As a vegetarian I like to be able to cook my own food, so the option is a good one. I usually like to make my own snacks, so when I am in a hotel ask for one with a microwave and I take a small kettle with me too. Eating out is all well and good, but if the weather is bad, or if you are tired it can be more convenient to cook yourself.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I definitely like to, where possible. I think going to a supermarket and picking up some supplies is often far cheaper than eating out. Plus, sometimes it's just nice to have a home cooked meal, you know?

Even if the hotel doesn't have a kitchenette, often they'll have things like a kettle, microwave and fridge - so even if I can't "cook" a ton of stuff I can still get stuff that I can heat and eat, or even cup noodles in a pinch...

5. I like to cook my own food. That's the best way to make sure that I am getting what I want to eat. However, when traveling I adopt a different attitude. The whole point of traveling, for me, is to experience life. Eating is part of life. So, when I travel, I prefer to find out how the local people cook their food. I don't really like hotel food. It's too internationalized for me. I prefer to seek out the stalls by the roadside. That, for me, is what the local food is like.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Tomorrow we leave for Singapore together with my sister and her husband. We are booked in a hotel with cooking facilities although we have no intention of cooking. And the hotel accommodation includes breakfast so maybe we can be free of that cooking chore. However, my sister is already hinting that when we are tired at night, we can just go back to the hotel and have dinner there instead of eating out. Hmm, I really cannot say what will happen. Maybe I will have to post an update tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

7. I think your sister has the right idea. If you are already tired out after a long day on the road, cooking dinner would be the last thing on your mind. Just ta pao something on the way back to the hotel. We call it ta pao here in Malaysia. That's actually Chinese for take away. What do you call it where you come from?

8. Ava

Ava Member

Having the facility to cook is better than not having the option. When I am away I don't wish to cook, but when you can't find anywhere to eat, or if the food wasn't goo then it's handy. It also good to reheat any left overs, or to have a snack. I think using the kitchen for breakfast is a good idea, because often you are hungry and even in a hotel, I will eat breakfast and then go back to wash up or have a nap before I start the day.