1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolest Trips You've Ever Taken?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Norjak71, May 8, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

I was watching the Kentucky Derby and it bought back flashbacks of when I was a little kid and visited Church Hill Downs as part of a family vacation, and it sparked up a conversation of how much I really remembered as a child going on road trips out west and down south.

What was your favorite family vacation as a child, and if you have kids now, do you plan on taking any trips with them in the future?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I can't say that my childhood trips would be anywhere near the "coolest trip I've ever taken"... not by a long shot. But I did enjoy traveling back then too, whether it was a cruise for a couple of days or just a day trip to a zoo in another city. I guess with time it has just advanced from there, a bit more extreme destinations and much longer durations.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

The coolest trip I've ever taken...hmm. Not going to lie, choosing one trip is kind of impossible. I've been traveling since before I was born. It's in my blood, and so every trip I take kind of fuses with my personal identity. Every day is an adventure.

I've been to many cool places and met many cool individuals as a result of traveling. I'd say some of the more potent trips were those I've done on my own, where I was forced to handle everything on my own. That would moving to Japan and venturing around the country. Of course, one of the other neat trips I took happened to be to the Catskill Mountains when I was a brat. My Mom and I took a bus trip to the NY mountains. I remember every detail even though it was close to 15 years ago. The ride through the autumnal scenery, the Gothic architecture of the hotel, the amazingly large underground swimming pool, the flea market where I found a silver ring shaped like a horse, and the horseback ride up a mountainside. At the top, we turned around to look out into the distance. The peaks of the lower mountains looked like ocean waves and flickering fire. I think that was when the traveling bug bit me.

Another cool one was discovering Mayan ruins in Cozumel. Well, not exactly, 'discovering' as they'd already been found, but I thought for sure I was lost prior to stumbling on an old burial tomb inhabited by a colony of iguanas. Never before had I seen lime green jay-birds until I went to Mexico.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I didn't come from a very well off family growing up - so our vacations were never overseas or even interstate - we would usually just go to the local beach and spend time there. It was lovely, but I guess it made me all the more passionate to get out and travel as an adult. I wanted to see what else was out there!

I think when I think of my coolest vacations, New Zealand is one of them - it's just such a beautiful country and I love nature - so I really fell in love with all the natural beauty there. Japan is another place I have visited and just adored. Easy to get around, the people are super polite, everything is so well organized (I am an organizational nerd, so I loved this element of Japan!) and there's so much to see and do, from nature to history, temples, shrines, modern cities, the works!

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I guess my first trip out of the country in 1994 is the most memorable. My husband saved money and bought a packaged tour to Hongkong. The plane was an Emirates which was only half full. We were lucky to be upgraded to business class. And in Hongkong, the Chinese tour guide was very friendly to me and even gifted me with a souvenir photo (of us). The Guangdong Hotel in the city proper was a 3-star that was elegant. It was just sad that there was no digital camera yet and no social media either.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I have always wished that I'd get upgraded on a flight - but it's always been economy class for me! Maybe one day it'll happen but I seem to end up on flights that are pretty full! :(

I don't know that I would ever pay to fly business class myself - I would prefer to use the extra cash at my destination! But if I got it for free I definitely wouldn't say no!

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It's once in a lifetime that we had experienced business class. Aside from the convenience on the plane, they have a lounge in the airport where we waited until boarding time. The lounge has a complete facilities for resting like lazy chair, newspapers and other reading materials. There was also buffet breakfast (our flight was to leave at 6am) with an international theme. I'm sure the airline lounge now has more amenities including wifi connection. I'm hoping that we can again experience the business class someday. By the way, that business class upgrade was only for the departure and we were on economy for our flight back home.

8. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The only one I could remember all of us being together on a vacation is going swimming at the falls although I don't quite remember where was that. We don't often take trips together as a family because we haven't much money to go anywhere. The only time we're together is at home and when we'd visit the park during the weekends when my mom and all four of us siblings would ride the sidecar and my dad would pedal on our way. It's a shame we don't have a picture of those times. But perhaps someday we can all take a real vacation together even if my dad's already on a wheelchair.

9. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

My most memorable childhood vacation trip was to Tennessee. We were driving this old Jeep Wagoneer at the time and that thing didn't like the South at all. It overheated every five or ten miles and most of the time we tried to stick to main roads so we could be close to a gas station. I think we saw every station in Tennessee, that was how "reliable" our old Jeep was. We made it over Lookout Mountain however, and saw bits and pieces of five states from up there, although to me they just looked like one big region, nothing like a map with lines drawn on it. We checked out every attraction that old buggy would take us to and finally when it was time to go home, we continued to overheat every few miles, until we crossed back over the Michigan border again. From that point on, the Wagoneer was fine and never overheated again. It was a northerner and that was that. :D

Aimee P likes this.
  10. Aimee P

Aimee P New Member

I would say that the coolest vacation that I ever went on was as a child with my family to Florida. I believe it was Daytona Beach. I was very young so I do not remember a whole lot about it but I do remember how wonderful it felt to have my whole family surrounding me and us all laughing and having a good time. I also have a very sweet and treasured photo from the trip of me and my grandpa who passed away in 2001. He was such a huge part of my life and I'm so glad that we were all able to go on that trip. Swimming with my mom is another memory I have. I remember her telling me how to float and I also remember her holding me up so I can kick my legs. :)

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am a modest person and I enjoy the people on the trip, the fun. That is my criteria and not the final destination. Having said that, I have to add that my most loveable trips were with my mother and my sister to a local park. I was little shy of 3-years old when we started that trend in our family and we kept it until we grew up. It was always a picnic and it was really perfect. I will try to show you the pictures of the park that is a part of a local church actually.
    http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/37698016.jpg
    This is only a small part around the church but we used to sit on the logs that were in the ground. There is a pond with fish and running drinkable water.

12. I think the coolest place I've ever went was Yosemite National Park In California. We went for my sixth birthday and it was really fun. Mom rented out a cabin for us to say in. We went river rafting for a day. Then went walking around to see the huge trees and waterfalls. One of the funniest thing though was that we went to have dinner in the restaurant and a red squirrel had snuck in to steal nuts. It was just amazing and fun.

13. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I love it there!

As a native Californian I think we are so blessed to live in a state with so much natural beauty - and so many varied landscapes! I think sometimes people think California is just beachy but there's so much more than just beaches!

14. Ava

Ava Member

My coolest trip in the US was a road trip during my college years to Chicago. We drove there from Michigan and stayed in a friend of one the girl's moms apartment. It was packed full of things we did such as stopping off at a country side bar (like Twin Peaks) for coffee, going to Ed Debevicks, the John Hancock Tower, and the art galleries. All while it was a minus temperature. I'm not in touch with any of the girls any longer, but I will always remember that as real freedom.