1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost for travelling on Euro Rail

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Dave, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Dave

Dave New Member

I want to travel a few countries in Europe, I have not decided on the duration or the holiday neither the countries which I would visit, which is why I have joined the forum, so that I can get some information first an then make the plans according to that.

I wanted to know the cost of Euro rail, I know that it would depend on the distance and all, but I had heard some time ago that there are packages or discounts for a certain distance or number of counties visiting. I don't really need detailed information just an idea of the costs. For example like the cost for Euro rail if I wanted to visit main countries or popular countries within Europe, cost for visiting maybe just three countries and so on.

2. Sissi Beau

Sissi Beau New Member

I think it depends on the Eurorail ticket you buy. Some let you travel for a month all over Europe, others just for a few countries. You can see more information here: http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes . I would recommend the Global pass because you can change your mind and visit other countries during the trip.
    The thing is, you really have to know the route you're taking, because some trains have to be pre-booked and that costs some extra money. Use google maps to plan some of your trip, and search the trains you want to take. As for sleeping and eating, you can save a lot if you stay in youth hostels, and cook there!

Admin likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The only way you'll be able to know the cost would be to plan out your holiday, what countries and when you would be going, and THEN check the website for pricing details. Different countries in Europe sometimes have different train operators and different pricing plans so without knowing exactly where your going I'm not sure people can give an estimate, and it would be a guess at best.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Hopefully the original poster has already completed his trip, but I'll throw some info here for others interested in the subject.

A lot of people get the rail pass and it's not a bad deal at all, if you require all that travel. It also allows you the convenience of jumping off in the middle of the trip if you feel like it... sure you can do that on a normal ticket too but it would feel a bit stupid to have paid for a full trip from A to B and jumping off somewhere in the middle just because you like the way the place looks. This would allow you to... you know... stop for lunch at a random city etc.

But you really need to plan on how much you are going to travel. We spent a week traveling with a friend and did Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands and it was way cheaper to just get individual tickets. We still managed the "not sure what will happen tomorrow" as with most (not all) countries the tickets are the same price no matter if you buy them 1h or 2 weeks before departure.

5. AureliaTea

AureliaTea New Member

So basically, if I got this right, it is cheaper to buy a train ticket than the global pass? I thought it would pay off if you were visiting countries which were far away, say for example Hungary, Netherlands, Italy. And then I checked the price for the train ticket from Amsterdam to Budapest and it was not really the case. Perhaps if you had more destinations in mind then. If you'll be going from one place to the other... I don't know. The only reason why I don't think it can easily pay off is because the global ticket costs 300 euros for 5 days. It would only pay off if you were travelling for a longer period of time (thus, if you also paid more). The best deal seems 1 month 600 euros (compared to 5 days, it's definitely an improvement). But not many people have one whole month free. And still, it's not as if you'd spend half of the time running from one place to the other.

One upon a time I'd considered the pass through Germany, but I'd given up on the idea. One of the reasons is that they limit you. You have to check the train schedule and whether the pass will still be valid upon your return... I always wondered if you board the 5-hour train at 11.00 p.m. and your pass is to expire at 11.59, is it still considered as valid for that train ride?

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Well as you said, it really depends on how much you are traveling by train. Best is to more or less plan your trip and see which option would be better... but keep in mind that the pass offers much more versatility since you can just hop on and off when you feel like it.