1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Cash?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by DreamingOfCherryBlossoms, Oct 1, 2016.

1. When traveling what's preferred? Is it easier to travel with a credit card? Or debit? Or do I need to covent my USD to the currency and spend that? Is it a blend and what issues have you had when traveling?

2. I think the first choice should be cash in the local currency. Then you wouldn't have any problem when you want to buy something. As a backup, you should also have some cash in USD. It's quite easily converted in many places around the world. A credit card would also be good. Just make sure that you have one which you can use in the country you are going to.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In our first travels, I always buy US dollars for pocket money. But in the later years, I did some computing and found out that it's almost the same when I use my credit card to withdraw local currency. And if there is a difference in expense, maybe it is minimal only because US dollar is expensive here and then I would exchange it to the local currency, it's like I'm paying 2 money changers in the process while with the credit card, I'm only paying the interest that the credit card charges.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think a lot of the time it depends on your location. In some places, access to facilities where you can use your card can be kind of limited, and cash is still king in those situations. I always try and have at least *some* cash on me, no matter where I'm traveling to - for instance it's nice being able to get off the plane and get something to eat and drink and not have to worry about whether the establishment takes card or not.

In saying that though, for the most part I prefer card. It can always be a little scary carrying cash because if you lose it, it's gone...whereas with a card if it gets stolen, you can contact your bank and have it canceled, and usually they will investigate and reimburse any fraudulent transactions. So to me from a peace of mind perspective, card wins hands down.

5. Ava

Ava Member

A lot depends on what you will buy and where you will be. The best advice is a combination of cards and cash, especially off you are going off the beaten track. Hotels will always change dollars to the local currency, and many Asian countries accept dollars as normal and have prices in dollars.

Cards are handy for large purchases or items that need a receipt. I usually take a small amount of local currency and then change more when I arrive at my destination as the exchange rates can be more competitive.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

It depends on where you go in Asia. Some countries aren't familiar with or rarely accept cards so bringing cash would be your best bet. Japan, for example, is a cash country and once you leave the big cities, you'll find that no stores will take cards.

Personally, I take a credit card and also a good amount of cash with me in case the credit card fails. I'd hate to be stranded in a foreign country with no way to get money so I always make sure to have a backup plan.