1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross Country Tour

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Corzhens, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Some years back, I have been invited by former colleagues to a cross country tour in Europe. They said that we shall be getting just one visa and we will be allowed to cross boundaries. It would have been a lot of fun because the itinerary is personal, meaning it is not a packaged tour. We shall be buying our own ticket and will do the cross country by train. But unfortunately I was not able to go with them because of my job.

Have you experienced a European cross country tour? How much did you spend?

2. Ava

Ava Member

The cost can vary from country to country and also what type of accommodation you choose. It's not too expensive if you book train tickets in advance, or hotels, but even if you turn up on the spot you can find good deals. Just be aware in smaller areas places close out of season and also some won't speak English.

Traveling around Europe can be great fun, and most students do this for summer. I've done it a couple of times, and you can do it on a budget and then splash out every now and then. It's hard to quantify a cost because of how long you choose to stay in a place. Generally when I stayed longer it was cheaper, and as a vegetarian my food was cheaper too.

3. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

That's a cool idea to do. Actually, my friend did that all on his own. 6 countries, diverse locations. Denmark and Spain, for example. It went all under 2 thousand euros.

4. Traveling in Europe? I thought I have read somewhere that there is such a thing as a Eurorail pass. It's like buying a season ticket. Just pay once and you can travel any number of times anywhere on the train. Is that still available? It sounds like a very cheap way to sightsee Europe. I read that some people even save on hotel charges by sleeping on the trains.