1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise To Alaska

Discussion in 'North America' started by Corzhens, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Since we are regular travelers, one rich friend brought up the topic of cruise. She said that we would surely enjoy the cruise because we would be pampered with the food and services of the staff of the cruise liner. Just out of curiosity, my husband checked a cruise to Alaska. It looked good with the summer cruise so we can see the beauty of Alaska's vegetation. However, passenger and tourists are confined to the cruise ship. In other words, it is the cruise ship that is touring and we are just passengers.

My husband turned down the idea. But he still has that dream of touring Alaska someday just to sample the food and the hospitality of the folks there.

2. Francis

Francis New Member

I have read about Alaska and I have been attracted to it's wildlife and towering mountains. My friend who had visited there had talked about it's vast rain forest and the Arctic tundra. I think that your cruise to Alaska will be one of your unforgettable cruises.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

That is the problem with the cruises, sure it's nice, you've got great service and on top of that I just love the ocean. But in the end I know that I'll get bored after a few days. Much better to go and explore the places on foot rather than viewing them from a distance.

4. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

I took a cruise to Alaska and then, ironically enough, was stationed there for four years when I was in the military. You might want to check again one more time because I've never known any ship that doesn't let you get off; however, even if that is the case, I would still go, as Alaska is something that has to be seen and you might not get another chance to go. The first thing that I noticed where the mountains, I could stare at them forever. The glaciers melting and crashing down into the water, you might even get to go whale watching. It's truly a unique place and to not go if you have a chance is something you may regret later on in life.

5. Lynk

Lynk Member

My Dad just took the Alaska cruise last year. Most of the cruises stop and let you off and have various day trips and excursions you can take depending on your interest. A lot of the cruise lines offer a pretty nice mix between pamper/relaxing time on the ship and stops to experience the local sights and culture. Maybe try checking with some different lines if this one doesn't make stops?

6. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Oh yeah, Alaska is definitely a cruise worth taking, just for the beauty of the country-side alone. I would want to disembark from the ship, however, as that is the best way to really experience another state or culture. Besides, how else would you buy souvenirs of your trip? That alone would make me want to get off the ship to stretch my legs on land. Any cruise line that doesn't offer that little feature isn't worth exploring, in my opinion.

7. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Yes I'm wondering if perhaps they misread cause I have never heard of a cruise that doesn't let you disembark the ship. You don't have to of course but many opt to have shore excursion packages added on or you can just stay on the boat and drink and eat ;) That's what most people do anyways. Either way though you can see a lot from the ship so it's worth going if they are going the right route.

8. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I think I would also love to live in Alaska because of the steady economy and the untouched nature that's a fraction of the state itself. I also prefer the cold to the hot weather we have here in the Philippines. It's now my first choice to live in in the US. There's a high demand in the healthcare workforce and I'm planning to take a nursing course as soon as I've saved up anyway.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Pardon me for my intrusion. My husband's brother had migrated to California some years ago. He and his wife now works in a health care facility as caregivers. That job is what's in demand now. They have no background in that kind of work but they were able to get some training and now they are certified caregivers. Nurses have to take the board exams and not all can pass so some nurses become caregivers even if they are over qualified.

As with Alaska, I admire you for liking cold places. I still prefer our country which is warm but can be remedied by the air conditioner.

10. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I sweat easily that's why, lol! Perhaps not as a full pledged nurse but a nursing aide or a caregiver instead. I meant to say the Alaskan state at least. I have a few choices at least like New Zealand also. I can work in hospices or the homes of the patients but I cannot administer any serious medication.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  11. My great aunt and uncle both have gone almost every year on their cruise to Alaska and they've always been able to stop and see Alaska. I do know that some cruises are just for distant viewing but you should shop around. You might find a better deal that way. I think the appeal of the cruise is that you enjoy the journey and not just the destination. Kind of like traveling Europe by train instead of a plane, it's not exactly fast but the view can't be beat.