1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dangerous Show

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Corzhens, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

During your travels, have you been to a dangerous show? When in Bangkok, we had seen the crocodile show where 2 guys played with the crocodiles in the pool. They would open the mouth of the crocodile and insert their hand. And for the finale, one guy would insert his head in between the open jaws of a crocodile. It was breath-taking suspense because we know that the crocodile is a wild animal (a reptile actually). The other day in Travel Channel, I have seen a documentary where a crocodile snap shut the jaws while the head of a man is there. He was injured and it took minutes before some 10 men were able to free the guy's head. Truly it was a dangerous show.

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never seen such a dangerous show and I don't think I want to see it. I understand that sticking your head in a crocodile is a good gimmick, but it's just too dangerous. If an accident were to happen while I was watching the show, I think I'd be scarred for life.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh gosh that does sound scary! I've never been to anything like that, but I did do a cage shark dive off of Hawaii when I was there once. It was a cool experience to see the majestic creatures up close, but I don't think I need to do it again! Also the boat that took us off shore to see the sharks was small, and I started feeling really seasick - so that part wasn't much fun, either!

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think it's a different experience with shark/crocodile diving though. When you're doing caged diving, you take the necessarily precautions. While there is always a risk, it's much safer than sticking your head in a crocodile jaw. Plus to actually experience something (being down there with the sharks) is different from just watching a show with someone doing dangerous activities with an animal.

5. They have those kind of shows in Louisiana and Flordia in America. So it's not surprising that they do it there too. I always think it's crazy to do such a trick though some of those trained alligator and crocodiles have been with their trainers since birth or at least of a while. There is some level of trust when you are dealing with a wild animal. I do have to question if it's human though. While we aren't traditionally food, we are technically edible to crocs and alligators. Is tempting them for their meal a form of cruelty? I certainly would consider it cruel if people put a hamburger in my mouth and not expect me to eat it. Though I could.

6. Tame crocodiles? I am not too sure whether crocodiles can be tamed. I have seen those pictures showing men putting their heads into the mouths of crocodiles. I have already read of accidents where the crocodile closed its mouth while the man's head is still inside. Perhaps it has something to do with technique. Not really sure how it works. I am thinking of how snake charmers seem to get the snakes to seem to dance to the music they are playing on their pipes. In the case of snake charmers, I read that the snakes were actually following the movements of the pipe and not the music. Perhaps if someone were to make a detailed research on those crocodile shows we might find out how it works.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We have here the Ocean Adventure in Subic are, the former US naval base. Aside from the dolphin show, they also have the swimming with the dolphins and whale (which is expensive). A nephew of my husband tried that and he enjoyed the close encounter with those sea mammals. He said that those mammals were tame and he even felt them to be affectionate. But to think that you would be with those sea creatures that may go berserk, I don't think I would try that adventure.

8. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think it's different for dolphins and whales though. They don't (generally) eat human and they are seen as less dangerous than crocodiles. Plus swimming with them poses a different kind of threat. Even if the animals were to go berserk, there is still a slight chance you can get away (as in you'll be injured, but you won't die). It's different when you stick your head in a crocodile though. One accident and you're literally dead meat.

9. I think the days of these ocean shows are numbered. There have been reports of animal abuse at the Seaworld and there is an ongoing campaign to stop shows involving sea animals. Personally, I don't see any reason why animals should be put into captivity for the pleasure of human beings. Would we be happy if we are put into cages? Surely not. So why do we think it's fun to put animals into cages?

10. Miya

Miya Active Member

I agree, but can also see it from both sides. Some zoos keep endangered species so they don't get wiped out in the wild. They also have breeding programs that help the species grow so that they do go extinct. So it's not a 100% bad thing.

11. Yes, I know. That's what the zoos say to justify their existence. However, I am not totally sold on it. In the first place, why do they breed those animals? To release in the wild or to have more animals to keep in cages? I think it's more for the latter. So, it doesn't exactly help the endangered species, does it? To be bred to live the rest of their lives in captivity is not the ideal solution.

12. Miya

Miya Active Member

If the species are not bred, they will become extinct. It's either being kept in a cage or being extinct. I know it's an excuse for zoos to keep animals in cages, but I still think it's better than an animal going completely extinct. And in the case of endangered species, I don't think they are being bred fast enough so even if they were put back in the wild, they wouldn't have a clan to protect themselves. It will take time for the newly bred animals to grow so that they can protect themselves. For now, maybe the zoo is the best for them.

13. I believe there are organizations which are specifically involved in breeding near-extinct species to re-introduce them back into the wild. These organizations do not have profit as a guiding principle, unlike zoos. I think the re-emergence of many threatened species have been the result of the work of these organizations, not zoos.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Have you heard of the real safari in Africa? I think it is in Uganda (or Kenya, not sure). There are operators of the underground safari where you can hunt big game like elephants and rhinoceros. The attraction is the tusks of these big animals that are purportedly curative. You can imagine when superstition works on paople - that killing a big animal can give you its strength so you can live longer with a strong body. Most of the clients of those safari operators are rich Asians, presumably Chinese, and there is no way it can be stopped now because of the connivance of the government officials.

I hope what I had read is not true because those elephants and rhino are already in the list of endangered species.