1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a British transit visa?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Shin Chan, Sep 4, 2014.

  1. Shin Chan

    Shin Chan New Member

    I am a Chinese citizen and will be going to India and then to Vancouver and returning to India from Toronto and then back to Beijing from New Delhi. I have a visa for India and Canada but my flight from New Delhi to Vancouver is with British airways and has a stop over of two hours in London and same on the way back but stop over is an hour and 15 mins. I was wondering if I need a transit visa for the flight goes via London or am I good?

    I called up the travel agency that booked the tickets for me and they said they will have to find out and will call me back but in the mean time the initial 24 hours would lapse (cancellation within 24 hours is fully refundable) so I don't want to later find out that I need a visa and then be paying cancellation fee for the tickets.

    My visa for Canada is a visitors visa multiple entry for two years.
  2. Admin

    Admin Administrator Staff Member

    If the visa you have for Canada is a sticker they have put on one of the pages on your passport then you do not need a transit visa for UK provided your stay is not too long (I am not sure how long is too long but I know 2 hours is not). Your flight will be landing and departing from Terminal-5 heathrow airport so you do not even need to come out of the security hold area. Please make sure you check in your baggage for the final destination. Some times a silly mistake by the airline counter people can lead to undesired situations.

    Please do not take my word for it and double check with your travel agent or just call British airways directly and see what they have to say about it. UK office is open right now if you want to call them. The number here is : 0124 412 0715
    Shin Chan likes this.
  3. Shin Chan

    Shin Chan New Member

    Thanks for the information. I also got a call from my travel agent telling me the same thing. I was a little stressed about this until I read your reply.

    Thanks again
  4. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    I would like to add that those who have a visa for USA which is a sticker on one of the pages in your passport would not require a transit visa either. The stay has to be very small though and from the same terminal.
  5. Admin

    Admin Administrator Staff Member

    Thanks for adding about USA.

    Those people who do not hold a British passport and are going to USA with a green card with no sticker visa on any page on the passport will need a transit visa from what I understand. Visitor visas are normally stickers and in that case you dont need a transit visa.