1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Go Here!

Discussion in 'Antarctica' started by Lynk, May 14, 2016.

1. Lynk

Lynk Member

Any other fans of John Oliver on HBO? I've been watching his clips from the past 2 years (there are a ton on YouTube!), and I ran across one called Antarctica: Don't Come Here

Of course I immediately thought of this forum! :)

Anyway, he makes the point that human involvement is really descructive to their environment, and because their delicate ecosystem has so much effect on the entire planet, that it would be best for no tourists to visit there ever!

I never thought of this but his arguments made a lot of sense. Have you guys heard about this? Do you know where we could learn more?

UnslaadKrosis and amelia88 like this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Although I haven't seen that documentary, I have read an article similar to that. Antarctica has a virgin ecosystem that man should not tinker with. But in fairness to man, Antarctica is an extremely hostile place for humans that it is foolish to go there like suicidal. With the 6 months ofdarkness and extreme cold temperature, one former inhabitant of Antarctica said that you are like living in another planet during winter because you are confined to the dome laboratory and nothing can be seen outside. Much more, the supplies delivery comes only during the summer time for even avgas will freeze in that very cold temperature.

3. omgidk

omgidk New Member

I am also a fan of John Oliver, but I haven't seen the documentary. I'll have to look it up for it sounds very interesting and I'm sure he makes many valid points. Humans do cause much damage to the environment so it might be a good idea to leave some places on earth untainted by man. Besides there might not be much to do there for the typical tourist, I mean usually it's the scientists that visit there to do research. Not to mention the extremely cold temperatures!

4. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Perhaps it would be best to stay clear from this location since it's probably all ice anyway. Since this is unfamiliar territory to most of us, we can really on adventurers like him to show us what it's like to spend some time there. There are locations on this planet that should be left alone for the sake of the local inhabitants. Cruises on the water would be good but it would be best not to land at all. The last thing we really need is a huge population thinking of settling there.

5. anthoedi

anthoedi New Member

Despite the extreme temperatures, there are a thousand 150 different species of fungi identified surviving in Antarctica. These fungi are perfectly suited to extremely low temperatures, cycles of freezing and thawing continuous and repeated .

mushrooms.

6. anthoedi

anthoedi New Member

This documentary is very good. let them here the link that want to see . Subtitled in Spanish : and English

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I haven't seen that particular episode of John Oliver, but I do love his show - and he often gets me thinking about a whole range of topics.

It is a good point though - I think maybe there's a reason Antarctica is so remote and hard to get to! The repercussions if the ecosystem there was destroyed would no doubt have some pretty big impacts to the world as a whole. Sometimes, despite our love for travel, we have to realistically do what's best for the world. And if that's not visiting then so be it.

8. Lynk

Lynk Member

@anthoedi Thank you for posting that! That is the segment I meant. I never have had a desire to visit anywhere this cold, but I think the comparison photos he does between Antarctica and Alaska are hilarious. I don't know the difference!

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Going there is one thing, messing with the ecosystem is another. Just because tourists go there it doesn't mean that we have to destroy the place. There might be repercussions if large amounts of people decide to travel there but this is very unlikely.

10. Francis

Francis New Member

If you want to enjoy the sun's light for more than 20 hours a day then Antarctica is the best place for a holiday. I have also read much about it's calm and cold environment but that won't deter me from visiting the continent, given a chance. I won't discourage anyone from visiting Antarctica since a first hand experience is the best.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

If you want light, go to Iceland or one of the Nordic countries! Possibly the norther parts of Canada would be good too. Getting there is a lot easier, summer months you'll be pretty much seeing 24/7 sunlight when you go far enough in the north.
    Funnily enough, today is the summer solstice!

12. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member

Antarctica is a great place to travel as a once-in-a-lifetime venue though, and if you don't disturb the ecosystem and remain a passive spectator, it's not like you're rummaging through the food chain and ruining it.

13. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

My dad once sailed through that region when he was in the navy. He tells me that the sailors had no idea what time it was while in that area because it was daylight six months out of the year. They would be up all night playing cards and have no idea that they had stayed up that long because it never got dark. He had trouble staying awake during the day while he was on duty because of this problem. I'm sure that eventually, the sailors got used to it and found a way to better manage their evenings. Obviously they couldn't rely on nightfall to tell them what time it was.

14. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

It is cold in Antarctica. I knew that place was a dead zone. But, it is probably very dangerous at night. It must be very scary at night. It might be creatures or snow men at night. In any event, you can't call got help if you get into some serious mess.