1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Trust Size On Label Of Clothes

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When buying clothes abroad, be careful of the actual size particularly shirts. It is better if you will have the opportunity to try it for size because some countries have a non-standard size. Most of the shirts that we bought in Vietnam has a one size shorter which means the Large is actually a Medium. My husband who is a Medium in shirts bought several and now has a hard time wearing because the size is actually smaller than medium (not really Small but maybe Medium Small). And that also applies to pants and footwear as well.

2. Yes, you have pointed out something I found out by sad experience. There apparently is no international standard for clothes sizes. Even for manufacturers in the same country, what is XXL from one company is not the same size as XXL from another company. When I buy clothes in Thailand, I have to try it out to make sure that it fits. Sometimes the same size from the same company can be different. That's probably because the quality control is not very strict.

3. Ava

Ava Member

I think footwear is pretty standard around the world, but I never trust labels because they are misleading. I always hold them up against me, and if you go to a market most provide tape measures if you don't have your own. That's because they know the sizing isn't accurate.

In Hong Kong it's common for shops to have tape measures for you to use too, especially factory shops that may have labels cut out. Even with ones sewn it, you can't be sure if they are correct as many items are rejects for some reason or another.

4. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

I never buy clothes without trying it on, especially in foreign countries. Just my normal attitude.

5. I learned a way to check waist sizes without trying on the pants. What I do is to hold up the pants at the waist, with the zip up and put it around my neck. If it goes around my neck comfortably then it would fit around my waist without any problem. It's seemed rather odd when I first knew about it. However, after trying it many times, I found it to be very accurate. Try it and see for yourself.

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

The best thing to do is to try the clothing on before purchasing. But unfortunately, that's not always possible since some stores don't have fitting rooms. In that case, I would probably ask the people at the store for help. They are more professional and can probably tell which size you are just by looking at you. If not, they sometimes have measuring tapes and can measure you on the spot.

Some stores (such as Uniqlo) will also change the length of clothing for you for a small price. It might be worth looking into if you find an item you really like that's not in your size.

7. Change the length of the clothes? I think that's very common. When I go shopping I find that the pants are always cut with extra long legs. In the beginning, I thought it was the new trend to fold up the trouser legs. Then I discovered the extra length is there for the buyer to cut to fit his height. Unfortunately, places which make alterations are not that common.

8. Miya

Miya Active Member

There are some stores in Asia that are just for making alterations. You just bring in your clothes to them, tell them how you want it done, and they'll do it for a cheap price. I've never seen that service outside of Asia (or Asian-brand stores) though so I don't know how common it is elsewhere.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It's ironic that clothes in Bangkok have the same size as here but with the footwear, I bought some "clogs" for gifts to some colleagues and although the size was correct, the slippers were one size bigger so you can guess the confusion. In Singapore, the size of the shirts are okay but the polo shirts are half-size smaller so when we came back, my husband had to get the large size instead of the medium which is a bit smaller for him. And we not have the habit of fitting the clothes before paying for it.

10. Yes, I know there are places to get alterations done. In some cities, it's very near to where the clothes are sold. In fact, they are probably in the same building. That's the situation in a number of cities in Thailand, which I have visited. In Malaysia, that doesn't always happen. Perhaps the Thai people are more enterprising when it comes to making a living. It's almost like, if there's a need, there will be someone providing the service. In Thailand. that is.