1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East coast Vs West coast...

Discussion in 'North America' started by pwarbi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

And no, I don't mean the rap war of the 90's!

If you are going to the US, which coast would you like to visit the most? Would it be the East coast with cities such as New York and Washington DC or would you prefer the sunshine of the West coast and visit San Francisco and Los Angeles?

2. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

For me I would tell you if you want older nostalgia and history go to the East. If you are looking for fun things to do go to the West. That's my personal take, but I live on the West coast. The weather is great here too. If you go to the Bay Area the weather will be the nicest in the warmer Summer months.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I'm from the East Coast (New Jersey) and have been up and down the shores for as long as I've been alive. I know Route 95 like the back of my hand. That said, I've never been to the West coast. To me, the West coast seems like an amazingly diverse place. You have major cities in California, Oregon, and Washington state. There's plenty of natural scenery as well as various attractions to experience. On the East coast, as Catchmeifyoucan described, there's a lot more historical attractions. If you're a history or art buff, hit up the Northeast, where you are never without something to see. The Carolinas are wonderful if you want to see beautiful land, architecture and historical sites. We also can't forget Florida.

But in all honesty, there's never a dull moment anywhere, East or West. You could go either way and have an awesome time.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I've been lucky enough to work in the US, so while I asked the original question to get the views of others, personally I find it very hard to choose as I've visited both.

My favourite city in the world is New York, and I had the pleasure of living there for 8 months while the company I worked for did a project over there, so with that city as my base, I visited a lot of towns and cities around the east coast and I feel as though that is the real America.

I've stayed in San Francisco, only for 3 months this time though, and on the west coast I found it to be more based around entertainment and they're a lot more liberal. Both beautiful in their own unique ways, and that's why I was asking as I'm finding it hard to pick a winner! (Not that there has to be a winner of course!)

5. Quazi

Quazi Member

West coast.
    The east just feels too much like Britain and the big cities don't interest me.
    I would like to see more of the untouched places and the nicer weather would be a bonus!
    Also, family live nearer the West so it makes more sense :)

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm from California so I guess there's bias there. I love the West Coast! Just take the Pacific Coast Highway and you'll see what I mean. I have been to the east but only really New York City and whilst it was cool, I still think there's no place like home so that's the west coast for me :)

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Honestly, if I would be given just one place to go in the US, I would prefer the East Coast primary New York City. Just the Central Park is already a tourist haven with the vista what more if I could go to Empire State Building which was the most popular landmark when I was young. I had read one time that part of the Boston marathon was a climb up the Empire State. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. And naturally, not to be left out is the Statue of Liberty. I know there are more to see in the East Coast like the Niagara Falls but maybe what I had stated are more than enough in my bucket list.

8. GenevB

GenevB New Member

I just realized that until now, I never realized that New York is also a state of US, I always thought about it as being just a city in some other state like California, which is exactly on the opposite coast. It would be a pretty hard choice, I always wanted to check the legends about the "green spot" being seen from Florida on the East coast, but in the end I think I would chose the west coast over the sunny cities of Florida and the state of New York. Las Vegas, Malibu and Los Angeles are simply more attractive for me, I've always been a huge fan of gambling and I'd love a trip to the Sin City.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

And what's wrong with Britain? Haha, just joking. I know what you mean, and that a like what I was saying, the east just seems more historic, and I guess it is when you look back in the history books.

The US is a young country compared to most others, but that still doesn't mean it hasn't got a history.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm from the west coast aswell, sadly not of the US, but of England, so the weather isn't quite as nice as what you get over there!

I do like Los Angeles though, and for a city as big as that is, while its obviously going to have its problems that have been well documented just like any other major city, it's still got something special about it that you can't find anywhere else.

amelia88 likes this.
  11. Quazi

Quazi Member

The architecture and built up places, the cooler climate and more rain......just like home! :p
    I love Britain, just if I visit somewhere, I want it to be different from what I'm used to :)

The east seems to share more history with europe than the west, must be because we backed out of the US well before they started exploring west and made it their own :)

pwarbi likes this.
  12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Agreed - I grew up in the 'burbs of L.A., and sure - the traffic sucks, if often takes forever to get from A to B and there's not really the best network of public transport - but there's so many other amazing things that go with the city that make those small complaints seem like nothing!

The weather, of course - even in winter it's never really bad. There's just a lot of fun things to do too, from just hanging out at the beaches to visiting a theme park (you can just pop on over to Anaheim to go to Disneyland like it's popping to the supermarket!) so things like that make it fun!

pwarbi likes this.
  13. Miya

Miya Active Member

West Coast for me. I grew up in San Francisco and while it's far from perfect, I like it better than East Coast. I've been to the East Coast before and I didn't really like it. Not to mention, they have freezing winters and I can't stand the cold. I could never live there even if I wanted to.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

That of course can work both ways though, and for somebody that is coming to LA to work on a temporary contract, the city can be a nightmare BECAUSE there's so much to do.

When you are born and raised there, I think you'd just get used to it, but coming over from somewhere totally different it's a massive culture shock. Having to go past the beach on your way to the office on a warm sunny day is a horrible feeling!

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I do know what you mean, and when I go away I want to go somewhere that's got a better climate than we have here.

Having said that me and my wife have been to New York for Christmas a couple of times, and it was like -15!

16. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

If I had to decide this very day, the west coast. I love going to places like New York but it's more beautiful in Autumn where all the leaves are spreading. San Francisco is honestly beautiful year round and also one of my favorite places to go as well. I went there around this time last year and caught a Giant's game and it's really just a beautiful city. I'm not fond of Los Angeles by any stretch, seems to sprawled out and disconnected; however, San Francisco is the place to be if you're going to be in California even for a short while. Very friendly people too. I'm sure we all know about the diverse culture there, and if you have an open-mind about everything, the people there are extremely friendly and actually very helpful. I went up to someone outside a tiny little bar wearing some type of strange feathery outfit -- and we ended up talking about sports for 3 hours before I had to go. Some of the coolest people in the world are there, it's worth going. The best part is, it really gives you a different perspective on life. Yes, the people are different -- and guess what, that's part of the beauty of it. You'd actually be amazed how much you have in common with people you would normally not even look twice at. It's a good lesson for everyone.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

San Francisco is city that it seems everyone is in love with, and while I think most people would think of los Angeles as the main city on the west coast, San Francisco is the one that they'd rather visit the most.

18. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I'd have to go for the west coast, the east coast has a similar feel to Europe and you don't feel abroad as much. However this changes the further south you go and Miami is more like South America than Europe. California is huge with a variety of places to visit, the main drawback about travelling around the west coast is that you need a car to really get around so you have to add car rental to your budget.

19. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

This made me laugh out loud, because I've had many days in California where I've driven past the beach (or close enough to it!) when I've been on my way to work, thinking "oh, can't I just call in sick and go swimming instead?!"

It is a tough life in that respect, when you live close to the coast and the weather is always pretty nice, but you still have to contend with work like the rest of the world!

pwarbi likes this.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think that's why a lot of people get a bit of a culture shock when they move to a place. It's one thing going there on vacation when you can spend the days wandering around the sites or sat on the beach. They move there and then realise that they then have to drive past people wandering around the sites or sat on the beach as they're heading to work, and suddenly that place isn't as nice anymore, haha!

21. Lynk

Lynk Member

I'm a West coaster and I have always loved living here. I think it's beautiful and there is so much amazing outdoor recreation in California, Oregon, and Washington. However, the East Coast is more of an adventure for me because I didn't grow up there. I have taken some great trips to New York, Washington DC, and Florida, and there is still so much more I'd like to see on the East Coast!

22. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think that when you're born and brought up somewhere, you often find that you get used to that place and you don't find it as exciting as others do.

Like you though, I know a few people that are from the west coast of the US, and they love it just as much as ever, so maybe that proves once and for all that its the better coast?

23. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

It is very interesting how the people on each coast seem to find the opposite close as a travel destination. I always felt that if I lived in California that would already be like living in a vacation spot and I wouldn't have to go anywhere.

24. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

As I said though, I think if you grow up and live in a place, you just get used to that environment and stop appreciating it.

People who live in California might see the east coast or the UK for example as an holiday resort, whereas for us, we see California as the place to go.

25. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I've been to both coasts, well, Florida and California, at least. There are wonderful things about both of them, such as, the Florida beaches where the ocean water is warm and you can swim all day if you like, without getting chilled. This is not true of the beaches of southern California however. Florida also has plenty of sunshine and heat, as does California. But Southern Cal has lovely cliffs and beautiful ocean-side scenery that you have to see to believe, so yeah, I think both ends of the U.S. are great for different reasons.

26. I think it really depends on what kind of experience you want to see. Personally, I hated all the toll roads on the East Coast but there was definitely more history in those towns. Not that the West Coast doesn't have history, it's just different since it was occupied by the Spanish then the Mexicans before it was American. So the history there is just different. I personally love all the small cities on the Californian coast that have nooks of great eating places, galleries, and other surprises. The geography is a bit more drastic since there are deserts, to forests, to mountains with snow, and other scenic views. If you scuba dive though, the Californian reef is a must.

27. Ava

Ava Member

I have family on each coast, but I prefer the East Coast only because it's easy to get around and go to other states. I often travel between Boston and New York and it's easy. On the West Coast it's a little harder, plus I don't like humidity, although the East Coast does get humid for a couple of months.

I used to spend my summers in Los Angeles with my grandmother and didn't really enjoy it, but now that I am older and am not forced to be there it's different, but my first memories will always be of a nagging grandmother. I have cousins in New York who are more laid back, so that's why I prefer it there, plus culture wise there is so much to do and more historical places to visit in New England.

28. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

You are lucky to have access to both coasts. I actually have several relatives in the East Coast and one is my mother's youngest brother and his family. In the West Coast, it is my husband's connection this time, his older brother is in California and 2 sisters in Las Vegas, Nevada. But maybe it is better to go to the East Coast because I am more comfortable with my cousins than with the relatives of my husband. But honestly, we still have no plans to going to the US due to budgetary constraints. Maybe in 2018 we can go.

29. Ava

Ava Member

The vibe is different in each state, and so even though people use the terms East and West Coast, they are still very diverse. For example I have family in New York and friends in Maine and Vermont which are the complete opposite of city life.

I do find travel easier around the East Coast and the fares more competitive in buses, trains and flights compared to the West Coast. I think because more people have cars there, the demand is less. That shouldn't stop public transport though, because I think more people would use it if it was more regular and affordable.

30. I think I would go for the West Coast. That's where Silicon Valley is, right? I would like to visit all those places which I have only heard about in the computer world. The Facebook office would be one of my first stops.