1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education tourism in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by vinaya, Sep 26, 2015.

1. vinaya

vinaya Member

In the past few years, Australian government is promoting the country as the best destination for education. Actually, Education is the third largest revenue generating sector in Australia. However, racism is also prevalent in Australia. In the recent years, there has been many cases of attack on foreign students. How safe is Australia for foreign students?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I don't think Australia is any more dangerous than other countries when it comes to racist attacks to be honest, and it wouldn't put me off studying there.

Every country in the world now is on high alert when it comes to racial tensions and sometimes it does boil over but that isn't just in Australia, that can happen in any country.

3. planetX

planetX Member

I agree with @pwarbi on this. Australia is no more dangerous for foreign students. There were some burning issues in the past. But with the active involvement of Government all those things are under control now and there are no reports of any such incidents now.

As @pwarbi has already pointed out it can happen anywhere in the world. Anti-social elements are always looking for ways to exploit weak links in society.

pwarbi likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think peoples opinions change but a lot of the time that's fed by the media. They love to report bad news, and that's in any country, not just Australia, so when all people hear is about racist violence they automatically think the country isn't safe.

What the media doesn't repert is the thousands of other foreign students in Australia that live safe and sound, living their lives as normal everyday.

5. Waqsi

Waqsi New Member

Australia is one of the most desired nation to go for studies. Millions of students around the world migrate to Australia to pursue education of their choices. In the past years, there have been many cases of student attacks in Australia and my country has also lost some of them. Some of the cases were all about extreme racism and it scared many of us to think about going there. But in the past few months or years, the happening of such cases have decreased considerably. The government has become much strict and hastaken sufficient steps in order to prevent such cases. I think Australia is no more like before and its much safer and secured to visit unlike before. If you are planning to go there for studies, I wish you all the best. :)

6. vinaya

vinaya Member

It is true that racism and hate attacks can happen in any countries. However, the question has raised because in the past there has been planned attacks on foreign students,especially the Indian students, in Australia. Because of these attacks on individuals even the government level relations became bitter.

Australia is world's most desired place for education and Australian government also promotes the country as education destination. However, we must agree, there has been attacks on foreign students.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The fact there as been attacks in the past isn't in question, we all know there as been but it's not unique to Australia. Racist attacks on students, or in fact any member of society happen in most countries to varying degrees so what I was saying is that to single out Australia is unfair, and if a person wanted to study in a different country, I wouldn't let these attacks put them off.

If people do limit what they do and were they go because of it, then the perpetrators will have won.

8. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Past attacks shouldn't really have any bearing on the rest of the schools in Australia. Sure, there will be the occasional bullying but I'd like to think that Australia is far stricter when giving punishments to students who terrorize other kids. As a mom, I'd be worried also but we need to stop being paranoid all the time and try to look at the problem in another angle. There's always two sides to every story.

pwarbi likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

We're walking a fine line though at the moment unfortunately, as you're right, we don't want to be paranoid and we need to look at the issues from both sides, at the same time we can't let our guard down either and we do need to protect ourselves from possible further attacks.

10. Coco

Coco Active Member

From what I've read, education tourism contributes about $17 billion to the economy of Australia. From 2001 to 2011 alone, the number of tourists coming to Australia to pursue education had risen to about 6%. Of course, tourists spend money on food, drink and anything else they might need on a daily basis, which adds up to the revenue of the country. The growth had been so successful that its government is considering partnering tourism and education to further enhance this aspect of tourism/education.

Among the major cities that are said to contribute so much when it comes to tourism and education are:
    • Melbourne
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    These cities are said to be the places where most tourist-students go to.

Now, when it comes to bullying, there are laws that the government has imposed with regards to this issue. Basically, it is the school's responsibility to make you feel safe in their premises. So students need to report incidents of bullying to school authorities to make sure that the bullying won't get to physical violence or anything worse.

I believe Australia is a safe place to be in and although incidents of bullying isn't new here, I think the laws are there to protect the students still.