1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eiffel Tower

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Rubie, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Rubie

Rubie Member

If given the chance to tour, the first destination I want to visit is the Eiffel tower of Paris, France. I have heard a lot of it and the popularity of the Eiffel Tower is undoubtedly spreading around the world. But, I think it cost a lot travelling from the Philippines to Paris, and that I don't think, I can afford for now. Hopefully, soon I can explore the place that surrounds the tower, not just on the internet.

2. Sissi Beau

Sissi Beau New Member

Why the Eiffel tower? I mean, I would love to go there, and it is a very touristy spot, but there are so many other places I would choose before it. If I could I would visit Petra, the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Rubie

Rubie Member

I am just curious on how it looks like personally. I want to experience being on the highest part of it, if possible. I also want to see Paris from the highest level of eiffel tower. As one of the Romantic Cities in the world, I want to explore Paris and enjoy its romantic scenery.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I've been to Paris a number of times and I've visited the Eiffel tower a couple of times also and if you get the chance to go I'd definitely recommend it.

As I'm sure your aware it's not just the actual tower itself that's impressive, but the whole area surrounding it that's beautiful aswell as being romantic of course, and its just a nice setting to go and relax, and especially with a partner.

Sissi Beau likes this.
  5. Rubie

Rubie Member

Exactly my point @pwarbi. The fact that it is a romantic place just caught my interest. I am excited as to how does the tower look like upon entering it. I might as well love the idea of enjoying my eyes seeing the scenery and relax as well. Actually, seeing beutiful sight is a relaxation, I must say.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. Sissi Beau

Sissi Beau New Member

Maybe I'm just not a really romantic person. But I know where you're coming from, the city is beautiful and they really call it «Paris the city of Love» so I'm guessing you'll love it.
    Although if I ever visited France it would be for the cheese and the croissants!:p

Rubie likes this.
  7. planetX

planetX Member

Even though Eiffel Tower is in my list of dream locations, the most fascinating place for me would be Taj Mahal, especially a night view. I had been there twice, but never got a chance for night view. It is said that Taj really looks beautiful at night. I am determined to visit Taj once again for a night view.

One thing that puts me off is the abnormal rush for night views there. Moreover, there are only limited slots available, 400 visitors per night. So, I am not sure if I will be able to make it with my family.

8. serbog

serbog New Member

The Eiffel Tower is really awesome. But there are other places that are better than the Eiffel Tower in my opinion. Like someone said Taj Mahal is really cool I would love to visit there and take some pictures.

9. Rubie

Rubie Member

As competiton in tourism is highly in demand, lot of offers from different places is perfect for tourist destinations. Either places would provide the best tourist experience depending on tourist choice of destination. One thing is for sure, our world is created with different remarkable places to be visited. And the main objective of tourism is to satisfy and meet tourist expectations, wherever place it may be.

10. genkiWORld

genkiWORld New Member

Me too, I would love to visit the Ifel Tower in Paris. I think if I ever visit France, even for a day, I would head straight to Paris just to see the Ifel Tower. I have always wanted to see it in person and admire its architecture and cultural aspect too.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I have mixed feelings about the Eiffel tower. Sure it's a nice place to visit, and as the other posters mentioned it's also about the area around it. You can always grab some food and have a small picnic in the parks right next to the tower etc. Certainly not a bad place to be.

But then again it's a very touristic area, of course there are thousands of tourists who come there daily. And the lines for the entrance will be HUGE so be prepared to wait for a long time. I wouldn't say the tower alone is worth the visit but when combined with the other cool stuff that Paris has to offer (there is quite a lot!) then it will certainly make for a very interesting trip.

12. Miya

Miya Active Member

The Eiffel Tower is also on my list too. Of course there will be many tourists and it'll be very crowded, but I think it's worth going at least once. When I was studying French, I really really wanted to go to France to see the Eiffel Tower (and other French monuments), but I was young then and couldn't go. It's still my dream to go to France one day, but for now, I cannot afford it.

13. WilliamV

WilliamV New Member

I асtuаlly wоuld rесоmmеnd аgаinst it.
    Аs а gеnеrаl prinсiplе, thеrе's nо "bеst" wаy tо dо Pаris. Dеpеnding оn yоur intеrеsts, thеrе аrе tоns оf diffеrеnt things thаt mаy оr mаy nоt аppеаl tо yоu аnd gо thеrе with а сhесklist thаt must аbsоlutеly bе dоnе will put а lоt оf unnесеssаry strеss оn yоur trip, аnd mаkе yоu spеnd lеss timе dоing whаt yоu саrе аbоut.
    With thаt in mind, visiting thе Еiffеl tоwеr is а vеry timе-соnsuming асtivity. Thе linеs аt thе bоttоm саn bе еxtrеmеly lоng. Thеrе's аdditiоnаl wаiting аt еvеry flооr. Thе whоlе еxpеriеnсе will prоbаbly tаkе yоu hаlf а dаy.
    Thе viеw frоm thе bоttоm is асtuаlly prеtty spесtасulаr. Thе viеw frоm thе tоp is niсе tоо, thоugh, it's just оnе оf mаny plасеs whеrе yоu саn sее thе сity frоm аbоvе.
    Sо, if thаt's yоur thing, gо fоr it (mаkе surе tо buy tiсkеts оnlinе thоugh) but dоn't fееl likе yоu hаvе tо.

14. crimsonghost747

Yeah there is no need to go to the top if you don't feel like it. You'll get a great view of the city from Tour Montparnasse, it'll be faster and cheaper. But definitely do go walking around the parks close to the Eiffel tower on a sunny day even if you don't plan on going up there.

15. Quazi

Quazi Member

Just a word of warning, don't go there with a backpack with easily accessible rear pockets, like many tourist hot spots throughout the world, pickpockets work the area.
    You wouldn't want to trek up the tower with a backpack anyway but just in case :)

16. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

To be honest, the Eiffel tower to me is such a ubiquitous image I feel that if I saw it in person I'd be a bit disappointed. I mean, I would totally go to Paris and would look on from afar,
    but I'd rather go to the places tourists don't flock to. I think there's more to France than its iconic Eiffel tower, like the beautiful castles and the Arc de Triomphe that I'd rather
    witness.

17. Quazi

Quazi Member

Arc de Triomphe is near by the Tower and is actually a nice walk between the two.
    My partner and I spent a bit of time treking around the north of Franch a few years back.
    From Paris to Brittany.
    My favourite bit was Rennes for much the same reasons as you mentioned: not as touristy, stunning old buildings and old battlements. It was also a lot cheaper being around there than Paris which is a bonus!

18. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

The Eiffel Tower is probably the most cliched tourist destination, but that fact can never diminish its beauty! My parents have been there last year and they said among all the 6 European countries they visit, France was their favorite and Paris was the best. Especially at night when the glittering lights fill the tower. Majestic!

19. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I haven't been there since I live in a piece of sh** country and I don't have enough money but some of my friends were there and even though that part is really great for lovers as you all noticed they told me if I ever go there to be aware not to drift too much off that central part of the city since the rim of the city is quite dangerous. Maybe they had a bad experience so the went on to generalize but I always try to be careful when visiting big cities.

20. crimsonghost747

Paris, like most other big cities, has some dodgy neighbourhoods. There are a couple of those in Paris, both in the city and on the outskirts. You can always ask the locals, they know pretty well where the not-so-safe areas are.

21. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

I've been lucky enough to visit Paris and the Eiffel Tower - it is a beautiful area. The tower is a real spectacle but to be honest up close and personal it's an absolute tourist trap. Literally the week before it had been closed to tourists due to roaming gangs of pick-pockets and the day we were there it was a sweltering heat and the queue to go up to the top was preposterous. Also there were people selling all sorts of tat every ten yards which got slightly frustrating.

So instead we had a picnic - of sorts. Got a sandwich from a nearby kiosk and a small bottle of champagne. All sat with the tower looming large over us. It was an incredible few hours and one I feel very lucky to have experienced.

I'd thoroughly recommend it - if you don't mind breaking away from the tourist paths and making your own way.

22. Quazi

Quazi Member

You must have been there the same time as me :p
    I was glad to get out of Paris and feel like I was exploring real France.

The hotel we stayed in was right in-front of a park that would fill up with homeless at night. Happy that I can cross Paris off my list but wouldn't go back

23. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

Don't get me wrong, I loved Paris and would go back in a heartbeat, but I just felt the spectacle of the Eiffel Tower and immediate area was different to the iconic pictures you see and the image that's portrayed.

I wouldn't say it's indicative of the whole of Paris. It's a capital city and one of the largest tourist areas in the world - there are always going to be opportunists looking to capitalise on that. I don't blame them, but it just highlights the difference between portrayal and reality, and I just want to set people's expectations accordingly.

Myrr likes this.
  24. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I haven't been out of Asia yet and I also dream of going to the US and Europe to see the landmarks like the Golden Gate in San Francisco, Disneyland in Anaheim, Statue of Liberty in New York, Eiffel Tower and Arc D' Triomphe in Paris, the Vatican in Rome and so many others. My husband had been to London decades ago and he had been to Isle of Wight which is a cultural or historic place.

Unfortunately, there are no discounted tickets from Manila to US or Europe. Maybe when I get to save some money I can go to those dream places.

25. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I have never been to France, so visiting the Eiffel tower hasn't been an option. Good heavens, I've never even visited Mr. Eiffel's OTHER famous creation... The Statue of Liberty, in New York City. Probably I should try to visit and climb that tower before I visit and climb the one that is even further away. I'm just not that great in huge cities, having been a country gal for most of my life and only recently living in a more urban area. I have heard though, that there have been a lot of suicides from the Eiffel Tower. Does that make the place less romantic to many of you? It sort of does to me, the ending of life aspect kind of kills the romance in my book.

26. Myrr

Myrr Member

If I'd be given a chance to travel to France, I'd absolutely go to the Eiffel Tower too, and take an awesome selfie. The Eiffel Tower is like the symbol of France and I guess, one should take the time to see it when traveling there.

27. Coco

Coco Active Member

For me, every tourist destination has its own beauty. Despite some destinations being a tourist trap, just remember that it's the journey to get there that matters. I just love being able to be in close proximity to these tourist spots, even if it's crowded with people. I don't even take that many pictures... What matters to me is that I was there and I was able to enjoy the moment. And of course, the Eiffel Tower is one of those tourist spots despite it being notorious for tourists and pick-pockets, you can still enjoy the moment that you're there.

Oftentimes, we forget to relish the moment that we were there. We try and try to get in line just to see the place but forget the reason why we're there. You don't even need to line up to enjoy tourist places, even just seeing it from afar is an experience in itself. That's why I love travelling... Whenever I'm in the car or in the bus, I see the mountains, the building, the lights... And I'm good! The journey is well worth it every time!

28. crimsonghost747

Exactly! I really love the sentence about forgetting why we are there... I see it so often. And sometimes even experience it myself. Quite a few times when I was in the center of Paris I stopped in the parks around the Eiffel tower just to read a book... I wasn't a tourist as I was living there but I thought it was a great spot. Really beautiful on a sunny day and the people walking by wasn't a bad thing at all... kinda made me appreciate the fact that I can just sit there and enjoy the weather, my book and the view.. while everyone else is in a hurry to get somewhere. :p

I had a similar thing when walking back to the metro at around midnight on a relatively quiet evening (it's never truly quiet in Paris) and I happened to pass by Notre Dame and I really saw it in a whole different way. It was so much more magnificent then than it was when I was waiting in line along with a hundred other people to get in.

Coco likes this.
  29. Coco

Coco Active Member

@crimsonghost747

That's the point! We're always in a hurry... We tend to forget to enjoy the moments. You were so lucky to have lived in Paris and truly experience your day to day life in there. It's amazing to just look out sometimes and take in the sceneries. Like what you did, reading a book or maybe eating in the park, playing or just sitting in the bench... I think all these are important experiences to remember. They may be simple but they're being there, they're relishing the moment.

Anyway, like I said, even from a far, people can enjoy the Eiffel Tower. You won't even have to line up if you don't want to or you know, take selfies. Because as long as you've enjoyed your moment there, that's all that matters.

30. crimsonghost747

Yes exactly, sometimes it's the small things that make life good. I often just sit down in a nice place, enjoy the view (hopefully with nice weather) and have a beer or coffee and just watch people walking by. Always buys, always going somewhere... and I realise that I am like that too sometimes. But it's really nice just to sit down and not to have a worry in the world. :p

31. Snary84

Snary84 New Member

I've been to Paris and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I've visited the Eiffel Tower and the beautiful area surrounding it but after thinking it through, I decided not to go up there. It was really crowded and I didn't want to spend the whole afternoon waiting for my turn so I enjoyed watching it from the bottom, took some pictures and then I went to explore more of the city. I don't regret my choice, I'm sure the view from up there must be wonderful, but it was a short trip and I wanted to see as many things as possible in the time I had left.
    I'd like to go back to Paris so maybe I'll go for it the next time I'll be there.

32. I would have to disagree with you. I'm not sure why people adore Eiffel Tower but I personally think it's just a tall metal. I like France a lot, from what I've seen in the pictures but central Paris is not really a region I'd like to visit.

I would love to visit Lyon and French Riviera though. Those places look fantastic.

33. Rachel

Rachel Member

I have been to the Eiffel Tower, but did not go further up than the first viewing platform, which I regret. If and when I go back I will definitely make the journey to the top - the views will be spectacular on a clear day!

Did you know that the Eiffel Tower was never meant to be a permanent installation? It was built for the World Fair in 1889 and only meant to be in situ for 20 years!

34. Wow after so many years of learning history, reading books and playing Assassin's Creed, I never really knew that piece of fact. Amazing how things (and people) that are built to serve a specific purpose are destined to serve another.

35. krnd

krnd New Member

I actually disliked my stay in Paris, from the airport to the very crowded and touristic Eiffel Tower, so from my personal experience I wouldn't recommend it!

The lack of security around the airport is incredible, the people will treat you terribly and others seem to be so used to it, it makes sad to believe people can become accustomed to that kind of treatment. The racism was a bit intense too, and well, I guess all things aside the tower itself is a good thing to take a look at and admire it's architecture, but I would never take my partner for a 'romantic' trip to a place so cliche and full of tourists and small annoyances

Admin likes this.
  36. Yeah.. Paris is quite overpopulated and chaotic during tourism season. However, would you like to go somewhere in Paris' provinces?
    The things there are far more calm as far as I know and you can get a much better experience and clean air, of course.

37. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I think that we all have certain places in our heads that we would really love to visit, and if the Eiffel Tower is your itch that you have to scratch then I would say that you should just go for it! I would definitely go if I had the chance. I visited Paris a while back, but something had happened near the tower so nobody could get near it, which was a shame. I have always wanted to go back, but there are lots of other places that I need to visit first.

38. nenjiavero

nenjiavero New Member

I've been to Paris in 2013.
    To be honest, I already new so much about the tourist-sites, that the Eiffel tower wasn't near the top of my list... Also, I did a huge project when I was in school, and it included assembling a 3d puzzle of the tower, drawing it on A3 paper etc., so I kind of felt like I've seen it already lol

My top list were Arc d' triumph, the Notre Damme, and Louvre. Everyone else was excited about the Eiffel tower, and I was like "well, I'm glad I'll see it, but I'm not crazy about it". Oh how wrong I was.

I was amazed by all the sites, and finally... We arrived at the Eiffel Tower with a ferry. Damn! Speechless, that's what I was.
    I've actually touched the iron of the Eiffel Tower. I was so excited, and so happy!

It is one of the most amazing places to see in Europe, as are the Notre Damme and the Arc d' Triumph.

39. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The Eiffel Tower is the most iconic tourist attraction in France just as the Taj Mahal in India and the Great Wall in China. It is not merely a wrought iron tower without a significance. Many have doubted its construction but it still stands today marking the memory of the French Revolution in the history of France. This was not the only design submitted that day in 1889 to commemorate the one-hundredth year anniversary of the Frech Revolution back then. The project went to Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel, whom the tower was named after.

Perhaps it is not a first choice for those who are looking for the outside glamour of a certain location but for those who are also interested in the history of the country they're visiting, it's definitely a must-see attraction.

40. Lynk

Lynk Member

A good friend of mine just returned from a Paris vacation. Her photos of the Tower were beautiful! I don't think I could resist a visit to the Eiffel Tower if I were in Paris; it's just iconic. There is so much else I'd want to experience though, mostly related to food and pastries! :D Oh, and, ummm.... art and fashion and things. And croissants.

41. crimsonghost747

It's just one of those things where photos rarely do it justice. Photos are always very bad at capturing anything related to elevation changes, so a picture of a tower (no matter which tower) will always be very different from actually standing in front of it.

42. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

It's kind of super popular in the world. I've seen tons of pictures tourists make. However, I don't see as one of the most beautiful things in the world. Even though it's a huge attraction for France. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to doubt its historical significance. Sure, it's considered as a masterpiece for a reason. Maybe it's just a matter of my picky taste. I don't know for sure.