1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive Walking When Touring

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When we travel to a foreign country, we have noticed that walking is the order of the day. Even in countries where taxicab is available, it can't be helped but to walk most of the time. And when you get sore feet, the vacation will definitely be ruined. My husband had developed blisters before so that is a neat lesson to us. When we had to walk great distances, we take our time so as not to abuse the feet and we can still enjoy the sights even when we are tired.

christine likes this.
  2. christine

christine New Member

That is so true @Corzhens! We did a lot of walking in Vietnam because the attractions in District 1 and those in District 3 in Ho Chi Minh are quite close to each other but besides that, we want to breathe the air that is distinctly Saigon, experience street foods, and steal some bargains. I was prepared for the long walks with comfortable textile shoes and well-cushioned sneakers.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I find that I end up walking an absolute TON when I travel - mainly because sometimes, the best way of exploring a city seems to be on foot!

In saying that though I definitely think footwear plays a huge factor in having a great time exploring on foot or a terrible one. I often like to wear my hiking sandals for that very reason - they're comfy and breathable and designed for a lot of walking. The brand I have for hiking sandals are called Teva, but I am sure there's a range of other similar brands out there that would also be great for your feet.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

@christine, we were in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh) last year and believe it or not, we were not able to commute. All we did was walk since our hotel was located in the center of the city and every spot that was interesting to us is just walking distance... which sometimes takes kilometers of walking. I remember every night I would be complaining to my husband about the bulge on my right leg (this is an old health issue for me) and it was obviously due to the excessive walking. When we went to the zoo, it was a long walk and then lots of walking inside the zoo that I had wished I just stayed in the hotel.

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

Same here. I walk so much when I travel. Even if there is transportation available, sometimes I still prefer to walk because it allows me to see everything around me. I'll only opt for a taxi or a bus/train if the distance is really far or if the weather is bad that day. Otherwise, I go everywhere by foot.

And since starting to play Pokemon Go, I've been walking even more since I can hatch my eggs that way XD

6. Ava

Ava Member

I enjoy walking to explore, and I often like to get lost in a city. I do think you need to be sensible though with heat, and health. If you can't walk too much then take lots of breaks, but for those who are fit it's a great challenge.

I walked from Rome to the Vatican City, which is 5km, and it was wonderful. My entire time in Rome I never caught a bus and only a train to get there and to leave. Some places don't have footpaths, so you check before you embark on a walking tour, as in the US I found many places had no sidewalks, especially during winter where snow is dumped there.

7. Francis

Francis New Member

Even though it is taken as a way of exercising, we need to take a rest whenever we feel tired. That's when we get time to refresh ourselves by taking water and other drinks. You can take a taxi if you get very tired and you find yourself unable to walk again. Lately one can buy a portable electric scooter online. Some weigh only 6.9kgs which makes it easier for one to carry them whenever they travel.

8. I kind of plan of renting a bike when I go to South Korea just because there are just so many places to go and walking isn't really practical. I plan on staying longer because you do have to walk a lot especially if you want to see historical buildings and temples that aren't accessible by vehicle. It's important to have good shoes and to be in good shape. Though I think part of fun of Asia is slowing down and taking in the views.

9. This is one of the reasons why I always make sure I have a pair of good walking shoes whenever I go traveling. I would not wear slippers or sandals because they slip off too easily and they don't offer much protection against rocks and other sharp objects. I have a pair of army boots which have served me well for many hundreds of kilometers. It's a new version with fabric on the part covering the legs. The soles are really solid. I feel very confident walking long distances with them on.