1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Budget In Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by krnd, May 6, 2016.

1. krnd

krnd New Member

Greetings!

Me and my girlfriend are planning to go to Australia during our vacation the upcoming year and I'd love to know what's the consensus on Australia and food expenses.

Is it better to buy ingredients and cook a few meals home, or is it better to eat outside?(the latter one we're used to)

For context a mid-range restaurant meal price in Seoul is around $80 USD a day for both lunch and dinner for two.

Thanks in advance!

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

It's always better to cook yourself if you have the possibility. I've never been to Australia but if you try to cut down on the cost of food then I'd imagine it works like in any other place... for example if you have breakfast at the hotel then eat a lot and then you can just grab a small sandwich or a salad from a grocery store for lunch. Or if you have the possibility of cooking your own meals, that always helps a ton.

3. The restaurants are quite expensive in Australia and especially in places like Melbourne and Sydney.
    This is why it is always much much better to buy food from the grocery store and from supermarket and cook it at home.
    It saves you a lot of money and makes your belly happy.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

It is better financially for you to cook for yourself, however if you're on holiday you will want to make the most of all of the experiences and opportunities around you, so try to make sure that you don't just think about the money alone, as this might stop you from enjoying other aspects of your break. I always try to get a sensible mixture of meals in and out, and I find that this works well for me most of the time.

5. Coco

Coco Active Member

Australia can get pretty expensive when it comes to eating out. Your best bet would be cooking your own meals. But I do know and understand that it can be quite hard to do that when you're visiting tourist destinations during the day. All you want for dinner or lunch would be prepared meals for you already.

Here's a breakdown of what it can cost you to eat out in Australia:

Restaurant's main course: $15 to $25
    Coffee: $3 to $4
    Beer: $7 to $8
    Food court meal: $10 to $15

There's another option if you must really have beer. Opt for happy hour deals which can be up to $3 to $5 only. It's definitely a great way to save money and at the same time, enjoy a beer or glass of wine.

Here's a breakdown of what it can cost you to cook your own meals and do grocery in Australia:

Shopping from groceries: Ranges from $55 to $150
    Average price of meal: $3 to $5

There's a huge difference because you'll find that bigger chain supermarkets have better deals. So you need to look around and compare prices to get the best out of your money.

I hope this helps!

6. krnd

krnd New Member

Yeah we're definitely not going to cut down on the amount of money we spend and will be going out to enjoy lunch/dinner outside, we would just like to balance it out by cooking either lunch or dinner at home every now and then and be able to enjoy other things with the money saved (or spend it all reaching the end of our trip!)

Thanks for all the advice, we were curious because usually we spend a lot trying new food and would want to know how much money we should bring with us :)

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Definitely better to cook yourself if you can - eating out in Australia at cafes and restaurants can seriously add up. There's a couple of big supermarket chains called Coles and Woolworths, and also the discount supermarket Aldi there - when I traveled through Australia I would just frequent those supermarkets and pick up things to make. If you're staying somewhere with a kitchen then that's perfect - it's just a lot more budget friendly to prepare your own meals in my experience there.

8. Rachel

Rachel Member

If you can get an apartment/hotel room with a kitchen you have the option to cook your own meals if you choose. You could, for example, have breakfast in your accommodation using groceries you've bought from the supermarket. You could then make a lunch and take it out with you, all you have to do is find a nice sunny spot, sit down and enjoy your food and watch the world go by. Your food budget can then be used to enjoy evenings out! This is what I like to do - no matter how big my budget is, I really don't like paying restaurant prices for food for every meal - it seems like a waste of money. And, let's face it - sometimes you just want scrambled egg on toast - cost in a café around 10 bucks versus the cost in a supermarket of around $2.00. It's a no brainer. :)

9. krnd

krnd New Member

Yeah we're definitely more comfortable with spending some meals at home so that we can save money and enjoy in a more cozy environment. I'll definitely check out some of the supermarket chains prices, thank you for the advices.

We usually spend $40 on lunch and around $45 for dinner here in Seoul eating outside, which I believe isn't that cheap either, so I will be pleasantly surprised if we can eat well for about the same price once we head to Sydney!

10. maxen57

maxen57 Member

If you can manage a romantic setting partnered by good food and wine, that would definitely score points with your girlfried. One of the many things that impresses a girl is your effort. Going out for dinner is good as well but be prepared to shell money for it. Perhaps after the dining experience, you can take her out for a night in the town and head over to some of the nightlife spots.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It looks like fine dining in Australia is not that expensive since that cost of more than $20 is still affordable to me. Especially if a steak dinner would only cost me $25, I would probably enjoy it more. But maybe I would shun coffee and other drinks. What we usually do abroad is to buy drinks from 7-11 or any convenience store and that's what we drink when we dine in a restaurant (unless there is a corkage fee).

May I add that one of my husband's dream is to eat kangaroo meat again. He had sampled it once in a food festival in Manila and although the taste is quite gamey (I didn't like it), he said it is okay with his taste buds.