1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun And Quirky Japan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Apr 16, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Japan is honestly one of my most loved travel spots, which is probably why I talk about it so much...

One of the best things to me about Japan is that they really embrace the fun and quirky elements of the world! For instance, cat cafes, owl cafes, maid cafes, and themed restaurants (the robot restaurant, ninja restaurant and Alice in Wonderland restaurants spring to mind).

Have any of you who may have visited Japan already been to any of these? What did you think? I've been to the robot restaurant, maid café and cat café, and I found them all to be fun -- the robot restaurant though was SO over the top crazy. It's good to see though if you want to do something really wacky!

Myrr likes this.
  2. Miya

Miya Active Member

I went to 3 owl cafes recently and they were so fun! I'd totally recommend them! You can have the owls sit on your arm and pet them. They're super cute and it's really an experience you can't get anywhere else. (be careful though, because they do poo on you).

I have maid cafes (and butler cafes) on my list though. I'll probably check them out the next time I go to Tokyo.

Myrr likes this.
  3. Myrr

Myrr Member

Oh man! Now I really, really want to go to Japan. If only I had super powers, I'd fly there right away.

It would seem that themed cafes are the rage over there. I only see them whenever I watch anime or read manga.

In Korea, they also have cat cafes, as well as dog cafes. They didn't have robot themed restaurants though. When I get the chance to go to Japan, I would definitely visit one of those. I'm a bit of a mecha and robot freak so I guess I would really enjoy the place.

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Cat cafes, maid and butler cafes, Pokemon cafes, and yes, the famous Robot Cafe in Shinjuku are must-go places all around Japan. I personally love the cafes with animals wandering around.
    I feel like I'm at home! Odaiba is a great place to go for those sort of eateries. Another eatery I fell in love with is the bunny cafes in Harajuku. Everything is so fluffy, you will die of the cuteness.

Other places where one can find 'fun and wacky' is Harajuku and the surrounding locations in Shibuya-ku.
    A lot of the alternative Japanese culture can be found in the back alleys. Another 'wacky' experience I recommend is the public baths.
    Don't worry about your birthday suit. You're generally wrapped in a towel and can have relaxed conversations with the locales.

Myrr likes this.
  5. Miya

Miya Active Member

@Valerie - Have you been to the onsens in Japan? I'm tempted to try since everyone keeps telling me it's amazing, but I don't know if I feel comfortable enough going in my birthday suit... haha.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm worried too about onsens and being in my birthday suit, but a lot of people I know that have visited them tell me that it's seriously just all in my head - that no one will even bat an eyelid in my direction because they don't even think of it as anything unusual or inappropriate like perhaps we have ingrained into our own heads in our home countries.

I think I read in Hakone they have onsens which are made of green tea, wine, and things like that! I'm pretty sure I read it was Hakone. It was a while ago that I saw an article about it!

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've heard similar things -- that people don't care. But I'm also a teacher and I live in a small town so I have a 98% chance of running into a student while I'm naked. Definitely not a situation I want to be in XD

My American friends have been to the onsen before and they said some Japanese people stopped them (while they were naked) to ask for English lessons. It was really weird. Also a lot of people stare to see if the carpet matches the drapes...

8. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I have! Going to an onsen is an amazing experience. It's not even that bad going in. You're allowed to wear a towel if you're not comfortable with skinny dipping; but even if you do bare it all, no one seems too interested.
    Onsens are simply too relaxing.

9. Miya

Miya Active Member

Oh, you can wear a towel? I heard that you weren't allowed to and you'd have to go in completely naked. Maybe it's different based on location or what type of onsen it is.

10. Coco

Coco Active Member

Have you guys tried the Tateishi Burger vending machine? It's actually a real restaurant but you can try the vending machine which gives you a real and human made burger. You just insert a coin and it pops the burger out. From what I remember, nothing from the menu costs more than 300 yen.

It's quirky because a "hand" gives your burger from the machine. Lol. Aside from that, you can go into the restaurant itself and see the quirky interior, there are masks and a board where you can paste notes. You can also meet the owner itself since he's the one who prepares the burgers.

I love the cat cafes as well since I love cats! But at the time we went to Japan, we weren't able to go to the owl cafes.:( The cat cafes were fun though, the cats were so fluffy and cuddly. Lol. I think cat cafes are starting to gain popularity even here in my country.

But one place that I would really love to go to is Alcatraz ER. Sadly, we weren't able to visit the place since we lacked the time. It's supposed to have a dark and scary theme with dilapidated nurse servers and weird shows as well. I would definitely go there if we go back to Japan!

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Coco I've never heard of that burger place - where is it located? In Tokyo or elsewhere? I'm definitely curious to try it out - it sounds like a bargain and also it just sounds like the quirky kind of stuff that I really enjoy!

I've heard of cat cafes taking off in other parts of the world too. I think it's a great idea for people that might not be able to have pets as part of their rental contract or something!

12. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never heard of that burger place either, but I'm tempted to go look for it. I'm guessing it's more of a local place? As in it's not a big restaurant... probably just a stall or something? How was the taste of the hamburgers? It's hard to find good "burgers" in Japan since most patties are the "hamburger steaks" (mixed with pork and onion).

13. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

Japan sounds so fun and weird (in a good way). The people seem so "kawaii", I would love it if I could visit that Hello Kitty place(or house, I'm not so sure). An owl cafe is so unique!! I'm not sure, but is it also in Japan where there's a restaurant that serves food in toilet-shaped bowls?! Haha! It looked disgusting and delicious at the same time

Side note: Their toilets are really modern too. Haha!

14. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think the toilet restaurants you're thinking about is based in Taiwan. Japan might have a branch, but the idea is originally from Taiwan (if I remember correctly).

15. Coco

Coco Active Member

@amelia88 and @Miya

It's at Horikiri, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo. As far as the taste goes, it's okay as burgers go. But the experience is the best thing about the place so I still recommend it to anyone who might be visiting Japan. There's also this the vending machine where they have loaves of bread inside. And once you insert a coin, the bread jumps into the ground, lol. I guess that's why it's called "The Jumping Bread." Don't worry though since it's packaged anyway so it won't get dirty.

It's definitely not a big restaurant... But it's not a stall as well. The vending machines are outside of the restaurant. You can go inside to see the restaurant itself although it's not that huge. There's just a few chairs with tables and a little "bar."

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We have a trip to Japan in March 2017, complete with plane tickets that we had bought in a travel expo. There is news that Japan will waive the visa requirements for Filipinos by June this year and we are happy to hear that, hoping that it will materialize. That would save us the hassle of getting a visa for our trip.

What I have in mind for noevelty is the robot restaurant It would be great to be served by a robot, at least just for experience. Surely I would take a selfie with those robots. I know there are lots of mechanized and electronic places in Japan that I am eager to see.

17. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

This is a great thread for figuring out silly stuff to do while in Japan! I have to say that though I've never been there, I do know that the japanese people are famous for enjoying some really odd things... but quite a few of the things mentioned in this thread sound pretty cool. Maybe not something you would do on a permanent basis but something like the owl cafe really would be an interesting change.