1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gardens By The Bay In Singapore

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Jun 21, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I went to Gardens by the Bay in Singapore today and it was amazing! If you love nature you would be blown away by this place - but quite honestly I think even if you aren't all that into flowers or plants you would think it was super cool. There's two indoor exhibits which are the flower dome and cloud forest and they were amazing!

image.

This is a picture I took from inside the cloud forest building. So cool!!

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

image.

In the flower dome area they had this cool section where amazing Lego creations were amongst real foliage! I think it looked awesome!

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Honestly, we didn't enter that enclosed garden because of the expensive entrance fee. We just bought food in the restaurant on the ground floor. But based on the primer, the cloud forest have unique plants and some are even hybrids. They also have a cactus garden outside where we had taken some selfie. I'm sure you enjoyed the shuttle ride because it is cheap. Did you go to the nearby playground or maybe you tried the fountain?

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I'm definitely not a flowers person but yeah, that still looks like a place I'd like to visit. But a 20 USD entry fee? For a garden? I think I'd stick to the gardens with free entry (apparently there are quite a few of those too in the same location)

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yeah honestly it's kind of pricey but I'm finding that in Singapore a lot of things are expensive. The only places to eat that don't seem outrageous are the hawker centers - all the restaurants here seem to be at least $20 Singapore dollars for a meal...it's definitely a bit of a hit to the budget.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

ok well in that case.. so the entrace is about the same as a restaurant meal. That sounds reasonable then. Though I must admit that the general price range in Singapore seems to be higher than I was expecting... I knew it was expensive compared to it's neighbours but these prices seem similar to western european ones.

amelia88 likes this.
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In my first trip to Singapore, we set aside a good budget for food because we want it to be memorable. And even before leaving for the airport, we already had chili crab in mind because that is Singapore's signature dish. In the open fast food by the bay, we surveyed the food stalls only to be dismayed that one order of chili crab for 2 is $20 and that's in USD. Yeah, that expensive. It's funny but we landed in the food court of Marina Bay Sands where we had the steak in Pepper Lunch at $7 per plate. Indeed, food is quite expensive in restaurants so if you are scrimping then you have to settle for eateries. By the way, it is in one eatery by the road that we had sampled the French Beans. It was really good so we always go back to that small eatery just for that vegetable dish.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yup, you hit the nail on the head, I think if you go to Singapore expecting cheap prices or it to be inexpensive like other parts of south east Asia you'll be disappointed! It's an amazing country though, but cost wise it's very European I think.