1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Caned In Singapore

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Catchmeifyoucan, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

Growing up, I heard from my older brother that Singapore was really strict. He was able to take a trip out there with my grandparents when he was in high school. He said that you could get caned if you spit out gum on the sidewalk. I was wondering if it's still that strict out there, or would they just fine you for something like that?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Before our first trip to Singapore in 2013, the stories we heard were scary. First is the prohibition of cigarettes and chewing gum. Next is the strict discipline. My husband and I thought all along that it was more strict in Singapore than in penal colonies. But when the opportunity came in 2012 when my husband was sent to a 1 week seminar in Singapore, the impression had greatly changed. Singapore is a nice country - the cleanest, greenest and most orderly. The stories of discipline? We haven't seen that and in fact, we had peace of mind when we are outside of the hotel. We go to Singapore every year and this year our trip is in October together with my sister and her husband.

3. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

It's true that Singapore is uptight when it comes to keeping the whole city clean, that's why the people there are so disciplined. I've never heard of anyone being caned though when found to be violating rules. I've also heard stories that chewing gum is prohibited. I think this is a fairly good idea to keep the gunk out of the streets or benches. I'm going to Singapore next month and I'm looking forward to know if the stories are true!

4. Myrr

Myrr Member

Singapore is still strict. You will pay a hefty fine if you violate their rules, like chewing gum and throwing trash on the streets. Or if you smoke on areas not allowed for smoking. And if you commit a more grievous crime, it's jail time of course. I've never heard of caning though. Perhaps it was a form of corporal punishment in schools? I'm not really sure. I'll research on it.

5. Quazi

Quazi Member

Is it just me, or do others think that caning is a great idea for those that are lazy and disrespectiful that they think littering and smoking in banned areas is ok.
    I like this direct threat to anti social behaviour.
    If the rules are obvious and fair (which these sound like they are) then I hope those rules are still in affect :)

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I too had heard about caning for certain things - I don't know if it was for chewing gum, but there was a case where an American 18 year old was caned for vandalizing and putting graffiti all over public places in Singapore. Now some people here were outraged but I think the fact of the matter is if you go to a country you have to respect their laws. Plus I can pretty much guarantee if we had those laws here we would see a whole lot less graffiti! I like what @Quazi said that it is great that they're enforcing the rules -- yes, the punishments are high but it sounds like it certainly leads to a more organized and clean society and that's a great thing if you ask me.

7. Coco

Coco Active Member

I have read the story of two Germans who vandalised the train in Singapore. They were imprisoned and were supposed to be caned naked in public. I just don't know if this was implemented since the latest news I read was still about them appealing to the court. Anyway, their case is different though since they vandalised the property of the government. I have read another case like them before and he also vandalised the train which lead to him being caned and imprisoned. With regards to chewing gum or littering though, I don't know if they still cane people for that. But this latest incident just happened last year, which means that caning is still allowed in Singapore.

I think as long as you abide by the rules, you got nothing to worry about. Only those who bend the rules are punished anyway. So make sure you research the laws in Singapore first before travelling in there. Actually, that goes for any country that you visit. It's better to be safe since different countries have their different laws. You don't want to be imprisoned for something that is acceptable in your country, but isn't acceptable in another country. I know that Singapore, Malaysia and Yemen have strict rules and punishments like whipping and caning too.

8. Myrr

Myrr Member

I've done some reading about caning in Singapore and yes, it is a form of punishment in that country. It is not only used for disciplining students but it is also used for punishing delinquent members of their armed forces, for disciplining prisoners, and for punishing those who break the law. If you are a woman, you are quite safe from caning because women are exempted from this, as well as men who are above 50.

9. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Singapore is a stickler for the rules. If you are visiting it's best to keep things simple and not do anything silly or out of order. Throw all your rubbish away in the right places and stay polite and orderly at all times. If you are staying for an extended period then friendly locals or seasoned expats will be able to fill you in with regards to how you can let your hair down a little.

10. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've heard about gum being 'illegal' in Singapore, but I didn't know they were so strict about it. Honestly, I think if you just follow the rules, you'll be fine. Breaking the rules of a country in any country can get you in trouble. Just don't do it and you won't have a problem.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

As long as the rules are clear then there is no need to break them. I actually prefer countries having quite severe punishments for breaking the rules, otherwise people will just constantly break them and that leads to chaos.

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

From what a friend in Singapore said, their citizens are generally disciplined because of that punishment - caning is not just painful but would destroy one's reputation. Caning is similar to incarceration. Depending on the verdict of the judge, you can be jailed or caned or both. I have been many times to Singapore and the discipline there is admirable that sometimes we dream of retiring there (although it is an expensive country compared to the Philippines). But if you are a law-abiding citizen then there's nothing to worry.

13. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

That's a very good point... people will feel really ashamed after a punishment like that. Which makes the whole thing work. I do think western countries have a lot to learn as here the punishments seem to be way too mild to act as a deterrent.

14. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

When you think about it, a lot of prison systems give way too many rights to the people incarcerated in them. Televisions in every cell, special exercise rooms, jobs where prisoners earn money, the list goes on and on. That type of system is prone to repeat offenders and why not? They get three square meals a day, comfort and luxury with no worries. I think if the system were just a bit 'meaner' it would be more rare to find repeat offenders in prison, especially if the punishment included public embarrassment.