1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going On A Soccer Game?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by reverserewind, Oct 1, 2016.

1. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Hey!

Does anybody follow soccer here? It's pretty huge in Europe compared to those of North America. There are almost no games in the summer. However, from the early fall to the late spring it's always played every weekend. So, If you travel that area during this period of time you have a great opportunity to see some games right at stadiums.

So, has anybody done that?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've been to lots of sporting events around the world...Australian football, the Australian Open tennis, rugby in New Zealand, baseball in Japan and the states, basketball in the States...but never soccer! I don't really follow it that closely to know enough about the rules and stuff - so I don't know that I have all that much desire to watch it. A few of my European friends LOVE soccer though and go to games regularly!

3. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Wow! That's cool. Well, the rules in soccer are pretty simple:

1. You can't touch the ball with your hand unless you're a goalkeeper staying inside the penalty area
    2. You can't play way too tough
    3. You can't hang out behind the backs of defense players and wait for the ball to be delivered to you. It's called an offside

Pretty much that's it.

However, it's considered pretty boring for the Americans. It lasts 90 minutes and there are only 1 or two goals scored on average. So, most of the time there's nothing exciting happening.

4. Ava

Ava Member

Well, in England and most of Europe we call it football, and yes I have seen many matches. I used to work as a hostess at Wembley and used to watch the games there.

I'm not sure Americans find it boring, it's just that the US teams aren't as high profile and it's not played in all schools. David Beckham is known worldwide and he was a footballer. It's also a very lucrative business these days with merchandise as well as ticket sales. People go to matches quite regularly here as families especially when it's a home game.

5. Football? I will pass. It's a game which I could never get excited about. If it's tennis or badminton, then I am interested. I would watch such matches from beginning to end. However, that's all I would do. Just sit at home and watch. I wouldn't go to the extent of traveling to another country to watch a match. Watching it from home gives me a better view. Being there in person gives me only a limited viewpoint.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I know of some friends who are fanatics of sport. They even go to London for the Wimbledon tennis tournament. There are fanatics here of soccer but mostly foreigners from the UK. But I don't think they will spend time and money to go to the games because soccer games in Europe are now being covered by tv networks particularly Fox Sports channel. And it is very convenient to watch the games in front of the tv, right? I know some soccer fanatics would still prefer the atmosphere in the stadium.

7. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Wow! Working at such arena must be a fantastic experience!

Yeah, I've heard about that. Several projects are active now with a sole purpose of getting the popularity boost in North America. The legends of a not so distant past are making efforts to start a new league and create more teams. Beckham actually owns one. Another great player, Paolo Maldini, is a co-owner of some team, too. It's so cool to see that happening. I hope they will get where they are striving to be.

8. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

I agree. It's more convenient and you don't have to worry about all those crazy fans who start violence or cause stampedes.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've heard of there often being lots of fights and stuff in the crowds at soccer games too, because of the low number of goals and stuff happening - at least that's the reason I heard being reported in the media! I guess the tension of a game and then low scoring numbers could cause that to happen!

Thank you for the run down about the rules - it sounds relatively straightforward! I would love to see a match some day if I have the chance!

10. Thank you. Now you have solved a mystery for me. I had always wondered what the offside rule was about. Maybe I will watch a soccer game soon and see how it works on the field. I think it's soccer season again. I have seen people gathering around large TV screens at the roadside cafes.

11. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Hah, my pleasure, buddy! Sure, it's worth watching some games. Here is a list of examples:

Real Madrid - Barcelona
    AC Milan - Juventus
    Man United - Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal
    Bayern Munich - Borussia D

Tons of them, actually. I also recommend you watch Italy vs Spain. I don't know the exact date but it's gonna be this month.

12. Come to think of it, I don't think I am going to sit at one of the roadside cafes to watch a football match. There should be some live streaming on the Web somewhere. Does anyone know?

13. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Sure, there are a lot of people who stream soccer for free. I watch pretty much all games on the net. All you have to do is install a program called SopCast. It's downloadable for free right from the developer's site. Then google search streams for the games you'd like to watch. That's it. Also, sometimes you may find a decent stream right on YouTube.

14. Thank you for the information. I am downloading SopCast now. Will update after I have tried it out. I did notice that SopCast can be used to broadcast my own event. Maybe I will look into how to use it to live stream my English lessons.

15. Valentino

Valentino Member

I've always been a soccer fan. Or at least I was a soccer fan back when there were numerous good footballers: Zidane, fat Ronaldo, Berkamp and others. These days there are only a few who are as good as the aforementioned players which is probably the reason why I don't like soccer as much as I used to and wouldn't for that reason go watch a game if I am traveling in Europe.