1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Whites

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DreamingOfCherryBlossoms, Oct 9, 2016.

1. More than the Great Barrier Reef, I would love to go see the huge great whites that come there. I think it's really fascinating that there are clans of great white sharks, some all female, some all male, and some mixed that get together annually to mate. I just think it a great place to see huge healthy sharks.

2. Huge great whites? Huge great white sharks? No, thank you. I am interested in wildlife but I don't really like to get that close to them. As for sharks, I think I will just look at them in pictures on the Web. I have seen pictures of people in shark cages. I doubt if I can be persuaded to do that.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I'm also more interested in wildlife than marine life. There is a place here called Subic with the Ocean Adventure theme park that features a dolphin show. They also have the swim with the dolphins and whale for a fee. Marine adventure does not look that exciting to me. There is also a province down south of Manila which has the whales during summer. They are promoting that town of Donsol in the province of Sorsogon for the whale sighting. But some friends who have been there said it is not that exciting.

4. Whale sighting or watching dolphins swim in the open ocean sounds like a good idea. However, to keep those marine animals in enclosed areas for the benefit of paying visitors is not quite right. I remember one Thai For Life song. A For Life song is somewhat like a country song but it usually has a social message. The song is called "Khi Mao Jai Dee" which means "Drunkard with a Good Heart". This song is about a man who went to the zoo on a weekend. He was drinking beer from a can as he toured the zoo. Then he passed by the ape enclosure and offered the beer to the primates inside. For that, he was arrested and put in jail for one night. While he was in the lockup, he blamed his own stupidity for being put in jail. Then he wondered what crime the animals had committed to be put in cages their entire lives?

Food for thought, isn't it?

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Ahhhh! If I saw a great white shark I think I would panic, for sure! I've done a shark dive in a cage off Hawaii, but the sharks there weren't great whites, they were smaller ones - still scary, but coming face to face with a great white even if I was in a cage is stuff that nightmares are made of!

I think most great white sightings in recent years in Australia have been off the coast of Adelaide and Perth, from things I've read in the news.

6. Valentino

Valentino Member

Saw a shark tear flesh off a surfer's chest once and since then I'd only want to see sharks in a video if at all I want to see one. However if I'm traveling with someone who is quite keen on seeing a shark real close then maybe that is the only time I'd like to be in a place where there will be numerous sharks.