1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greek financial meltdown

Discussion in 'Europe' started by pwarbi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While in recent weeks the banking crisis in Greece does seem to have eased somewhat the the leaders being able to renegotiate the term of their loan deal with the EU, but as what's happened over there recently put you off going there and do you still see it as a tourist destination?

2. Sissi Beau

Sissi Beau New Member

Not really! I don't think a crisis is necessarily bad for tourism - things are cheaper in Greece right now. The worst part is seeing the people, they are grim and sad, and you'l end up feeling sad for them although there is nothing you can do. But if there aren't any uprisings and the country is still safe I don't see why you would avoid it.

3. vinaya

vinaya Member

As for now, I cannot afford to visit to Greece. However, Greece is my dream destination. Greece is an ancient civilization. It has been a center of art and culture since thousand of years. They not devised dramatic performance but also political concept such as democracy. I would love to visit Greek island, the major monuments and landmarks.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While it's true that the finacies of a country doesn't detract from it beauty and its still an appealing place to visit, I think after what'd happened people are thinking more carefully that they would before.

Nobody wants to go to a place were they wasn't even allowed to draw their own money out of a cash machine, and as a tourist there's not a lot you can do with no money.

5. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Greece definitely isn't anymore a tourists destination, especially with all the refugees lying there on the streets, as the news said, you can't even go to the local shop without bumping into some of them on the streets. It's sad when you think about the fact that only 2 years ago they were one of the most visited holiday destination.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The refugee crisis as certainly stopped Greece from being the tourist resort that it was once, and in this financial climate that's the last thing they needed.

I've been to Greece myself, and its a beautiful place to go, but I wouldn't recommend going there now, not after what they've been, and what they're still going through.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I probably saw it as more of a tourist destination after all the woes with their economy, because I guess part of me thought that things might be cheaper as a result of their economy going down the drain? That might be wishful thinking though.

I think there's just a lot of other places that I would probably go for first if I wanted a beachy vacation - I know a lot of people who have been to Santorini and loved it, but I think I would probably go for the Caribbean myself!

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

The financial crisis wasn't such a huge turn off for me, especially since most of the touristic areas were relatively unaffected compared to the rest of the country. (because the foreign money, which was what made business thrive, was still coming in) You guys mentioned the refugee issue and I have to say I have no idea how bad it is, but if they truly are everywhere over there then I'm certainly not going to visit anytime soon. When traveling I want to be around the locals, not around refugees trashing the whole place.

pwarbi likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Well I've not been to Greece since the influx of refugees started but from what I can gather its now not a great place to visit.

A friend of mine came back from there a couple of weeks ago, and they've been going to Greece year in and year out now for a number of years, but he said it's his last time as the country as changed beyond all recognition.

The financial crisis hasn't helped, but the refugee status is becoming the final nail in the coffin for Greece I think it sounds like, and that's a shame.

10. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Concurring with others, as much as I want to go to Greece and see the ancient civilizations I admired in school (and still love), I don't think I could. Tourism would probably help alleviate some of the money issues, but at this rate...
    The financial crisis has done more than break the economy of a once strong country, it has broken the spirit of the Greek people. So many of them are in trouble that I would feel guilty going there to have a good time.
    You can't expect them to even keep up with the relics and ruins if there's no money in the budget. I can only image what some of the wonders look like right now. It's sad that the country is struggling.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Any European country is okay to me as far as my travels are concerned. And Greece? Yes, especially Greece because of its ancient structures and fertile history. It's really sad that the country is saddled with financial problems and from what I heard, adding injury was the migration crisis of Syrians. But in fairness to a country in financial trouble, the cost of travel is cheap because of the lower standard of living. It would be great if we can travel to Greece this year although admittedly we still have to find the budget since we are already scheduled for Singapore in October.

12. Myrr

Myrr Member

I would still go there. Such a crisis won't deter me from visiting a place, especially one as beautiful as Greece. And I think that the money that will be gained because of tourism might help a bit. It's really saddening when a country is involved in any form of crisis. I really hope that they will recover soon.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

What's happening in Greece is a tragedy and while the financial crisis may have been eased for the banks and big business, for the people there, the EU deal that was made hasn't made a great deal of difference for them as far as day to day living is concerned.

What's more worrying is that it shows that can happen in any country, and it makes you think how you'd cope if tomorrow you woke up, went to the bank and your accounts had been wiped out, with no news on when or if you'd get anything back.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands New Member

I think it is actually good for tourism, because things are a lot cheaper, and this means that people see it as a more accessible and affordable destination to visit. People may worry about booking hotels just incase they go out of business, but for the most part I don't think that this should be too much of a problem at all. If anything, I would encourage people to visit Greece rather than discourage it, as this should help them to get the economy moving again and get some money into the country - which is obviously something that they are in great need of at this moment in time!

pwarbi likes this.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I do understand what your saying and as a tourist the items off the shelves might be a lot cheaper, and you might be able to pick up a bargain of an hotel room as people are desperate to start earning a living there again.

While I'm not trying to put people off, all I'm meaning is that because the Greeks have gone through what they have, the once busy and bustling bars and restaurants, the landmarks and tourist sites aren't what they once was, and I've no doubt that will eventually return, it's going to take a long time to get that back again I would have thought.

16. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

These two things do not have any kind of relationship. The tourism is independent and it actually helps in this crisis. Of course it is not as easy as I put it but yes I would go to Greece, I would move there as well. It is a wonderful country and if I had enough money and some good job I would go and live there. I am a big fan of Leonard Cohen who is connected with a place in Greece called Hydra and I am amazed by the beauty of this place and the amount of inspiration he drew from it.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Hydra_town_01.jpg

17. Quazi

Quazi Member

OK, it might be cheap to spend some time over in Greece but a warning would be not to use a Greek holiday operator to book your holiday with.
    At the moment, there is more risk that business over there will go bust, it happened a couple years back with a package holiday company going bust in northern africa.

It's not like you'd get stranded, but it would affect your holiday, possibly add additional costs and you'd either be coming home early or later.

18. Coco

Coco Active Member

I still see Greece as a tourist destination and won't be avoiding it despite the state of its economy. Here's a few facts about how the financial crisis in Greece can affect tourists:
    • First of all, the limitations on withdrawing cash from ATM machines are only for local residents with local debit cards or ATM cards. Tourists are allowed to withdraw money from ATM machines without the 60 euros limit.
    • You can still use credit cards especially within the tourist destinations in the country.
    • Protests are usually done at the Athens in the Syntagma Square. But it's not all the time that these protests happen, so if there are no protests, then it's safe to visit this place as well.
    That's about it. But with regards to the overall safety of the country, you don't need to worry about it. Just be up to date with the news and avoid areas where protests or riots usually happen. It's best to go to tourist destinations so you are sure of your safety as well.

For me, if a country is generally safe, I won't be bothered by its economic crisis. Now, more than ever, Greeks need us to visit their country so that we can share to their tourism profits.

Rachel likes this.
  19. Hello. I am from Greece and the economic struggle is quite big one. However, as you mentioned, Greeks are in need of tourism since that's the only sector we benefit from. Greece is not just Athens with Acropolis' Parthenon or Mykonos and Santorini. There are tons of other destinations like Xios, Paros and Skiathos.

I encourage everyone who can afford such trips to pay a visit to Greek islands. The scenery is beautiful, magical and will definitely drop your jaws.
    Most of Greeks are friendly to new visitors and especially in islands since your money is the primary source of living through the Autumn and Winter months.

Coco likes this.