1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grouchy Stewardess

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Corzhens, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This is the story of a grouchy flight attendant who did not assist a passenger. Feeling ignored, the passenger requested for assistance and for the second time, the flight attendant ignore her. What happened next was that the passenger slapped the face of the flight attendant. Who do you think is wrong in this instance?

My opinion is this - they are both wrong. If the passenger felt that she had been ignored twice then she should have complained to the supervising flight attendant. Or maybe she can file a case in the airport. For the flight attendant, it is not a reason that she is busy, no way.

2. Ava

Ava Member

The passenger has no right to physically harm another person regardless of who they are. It was wrong and the airline can file charges and ban them. I have seen some difficult passengers and at times cabin crew cannot give them all the attention they want. They aren't there to serve necessarily, but to help make the flight organized,

Humans have bad days, and there are good and bad cabin crew, and I have seen both. Whatever happened, there is no excuse for physical violence in the western world anyhow.

3. I think it depends on what the passenger needed help with. If it was life threatening, then the passenger has a right to get ready, but not enough to hit. I would say that the flight attendant agitated the passenger by giving her the brushoff without having a reason other than a bad mood. Having said that, I'm with Ava that no one should physically hurt another person. The passenger should have complained and not given into their emotions. But it's also the job of the fight attendant to assist passengers even if it's a petty request. It's part of the job description. I think it's hard to make a choice without know why the passenger needed help.

4. Just curious. Was the passenger a Chinese national from the mainland? I am asking because I have read many reports about tourists from mainland China who get physical when they are dissatisfied with the service. Anyway, whatever the nationality of the passenger, he or she has absolutely no right whatsoever to hit the stewardess. The stewardess could be wrong or whatever in not providing timely service to the passenger. Nevertheless, the civilized procedure would be to lodge a complaint with the senior service personnel. I am assuming that the passenger came from a civilized country.

5. Ava

Ava Member

I used to work at Heathrow airport, and we have always been told if any customer is violent or abusive to walk away. I had one woman who ran up to me and demanded I help her by swearing and yelling at me, and I walked away and said I won't help people that verbally abuse me. I had by right to get the police, and they did come when I called them over.

The woman's mother chased me and apologized and asked if I would help ( I was in charge at the time) and admitted her daughter was wrong, so no, airport staff have every right to deny help if verbally or physically abused. It doesn't matter what the situation was, if a checkout person is chatting to someone in a store and not serving you, you don't go and slap them do you?