1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guatamala?

Discussion in 'South America' started by Lynk, May 6, 2016.

1. Lynk

Lynk Member

I'm curious if any of you can relate any travel experiences here? I have some friends who went for 3 months here to a language immersion school and learned Spanish over the summer. I am a decent (but out of practice) Spanish speaker, but I'm in awe of their folk art and the food! Has anyone traveled here before?

I have been the Yucatan, is it similar? It seems there is some overlap in traditions in these two places, but of course I am dying to find out for myself!

2. krnd

krnd New Member

Hey there Lynk!

As with any South America country visit, having lived in South America myself (Venezuela, an incredibly dangerous place) my suggestion is to have safety first and do as much research to stay in a secure place, Guatemala is far more dangerous than a lot (if not most) of places in North America and Europe. There is a lot of kidnapping foreigners because they misjudge how critical and how easy it is to spot a foreigner in these countries, to them you're a walking mine of gold depending on the country's exchange rate.

Other than that the food is amazing and the people are very warm hearted and helpful, so you will feel right at home though I can't speak much for their culture, South America has so much variety within it's populations that its one of the most culture-rich continents in my opinion.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Honestly, I don't know anything about Guatemala. However, some years back, my husband's cousin came for a vacation here with his Guatemalan wife. Ana is amiable and speaks good English for she was living in the US for quite a time. In our conversation, I gathered that Guatemalans are also like Filipinos with close family relationship and ethics and decency is very important to them. They also have many traditions particularly those events related to religion, I think Guatemala is a Catholic majority country. With the food, from what know, they have mostly Spanish cuisine although with some variations already. So be prepared to eat saucy food and less of soupy dishes.